Component recommendations

Marestail

I am trying to put together a sound system and this is what I have:

Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet II Microsystem

Klipsch KSW-12 Powered Subwoofer

Can you recommend components that are compatible with the above?

I also plan to add an HDTV to the mix.

Thanks,

Marestail

Thanks for the reply,

I'm just buying bits and pieces as I can. I don't have a problem with used components as

long as they are quality pieces and not junk! I am not that well versed on equipment, but

have heard it's best to go with seperate components?

I'm more interested now in playing music, but would like the surround sound capability.

I guess I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck, but with my budget, or lack thereof,

may have to buy bits and pieces as I have extra cash!

Thanks again for your time!

So right now all you have are those speakers and nothing to power them with?

If you have any other gear, list it in yer "System Profile" [click on yer User Name("signed in as Marestail") at the top], so we have something to work with, and a general direction to head in.

IMO, it's only junk when it no longer works.

I wouldn't consider most seperates to be in the Bang for Buck category. A deal is a deal, but may take time to achieve, and is part of the *eternal* upgrade process.

Proper placement and room treatments can help make any system sound it's best.

We'd need a price point on each component you're considering, along with the most important features that appeal to you.

In your system profile, please let us know what your system is like, the percent of movies vs. music, your age, music tastes, typical listening volume, room size and features, stereo budget, etc. That why the informed posters here can give you good, solid advice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

That's correct, and I have listed them in the "System Profile" as you suggested, thanks!

As for the room, its 16' 6" x 12' 6" with hardwood floors.

I would like to play music CD's and DVD's.

Have the capability of surround sound.

I would also like to have a radio tuner in the system.

Budget, say $750.00 or so.

Thanks for the reply. I have completed the system profile as requested. Mostly music, but an occasional movie. I'm 53 and enjoy Motown's Al Green but also the horns of Chicago and vocals of Three Dog Night and Grand Funk Railroad.

Listening volume a little on the loud side. The room is 16' 6" x 12' 6" with hardwoods.

Budget $750.00

Thanks for your help.

IMO, local used equipment can be the best bang for buck, as people get rid of their 5 channel equipment and move into 6/7.1.

As far as new, I think the usual A/V reciever('cause you want a tuna) suspects to look at would be gear from Yamaha(RXV), Denon, Harmon Kardon(HK), Onkyo(Integra), Sony(ES line) and Pioneer. You'll want something with onboard *DTS and Dolby Digital* capabilities.

Combo CD/DVD players from any of the above, plus Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, Philips, Samsung and JVC. This may be worth some time investigating if you're planning on an HDTV, as you'll want compatible video output jacks on this player to go to the TV. I believe *HDMI* to be the best current trend, but chances are slim to find used gear with this option.

Lots of used gear shows up here, and I would put trust in a transaction with *most* other forum members that have been with us for a while.

I suppose the best way to go about this, would be to get out and audition some of this stuff, do some after hours research on the net and produce a short list to make a final descision. You may want to get more specific and post any more related questions in the Home Theater section of this forum.

I don't know how dedicated you'll want to get, but other forums you may want to query could include the Audio Asylum and AVS.

I have the Yamaha 5989(5860 at BestBuy). Its has 7.1 channel at 110 watts per channel .03 distortion. Its has all the latest decoders but no HDMI hook ups. It sounds great and I am powering my entire system with it and it sounds great and has lots of extras. It retails for about 500 but I picked it up open box for 349.00 and has the same warranty as a new one. I have the same size room as you do and it leaves my ears ringing anytime I put the volume up. I also have the Yamaha dvd player I picked up for just under 200 and it sounds and plays great. This would keep you under budget and I think you will be happy with the results. Of course if you are like me and most the people on here you will be planning upgrades before you even get it out of the box.