Advice on receiver for RF-7s...possible upgrade

wuzzzer

Over the past few years I've started to sell off my coin and currency collection to the point that I have one note left. Its a $10 bill from 1929, National Currency that's from the American National Bank of St. Cloud, Minnesota (my home town). I would guess that the note is worth approximately $300-350 currently.

As shown in my signature, my current receiver is a Sony Dolby Pro-Logic that I bought about 10 years ago. Its pretty powerful and I like the built in parametric equalizer that it has. It was the top of the line non-ES receiver when I bought it. I've seen such receivers sell for $75-100 on eBay.

My question is, if I were to buy a receiver that was in the $375-$450 range, what are some of the best brands & models to consider? Ideally I'd like a receiver that had at least one digital input, doesn't necessarily need to have surround sound since I won't be buying any surround speakers any time soon, built in EQ or at least bass mid and treble adjustments, high current and high power to be able to drive the RF-7s with ease.

I don't really need something with 100 inputs and 100 surround modes. Don't care what color or what size it is either.

I listen to my stereo every day, either music movies or TV. I look at that $10 bill maybe once or twice a year. I know that I would get a lot more enjoyment from higher quality amplification.

Also, is it possible to get anything decent in a preamp and amp combination in this price range?

Something wrong with Sony, althought a 100 watt per doesn't sound as powerful as the 120 per you are running now.....................Lots of Vintage 2 channel out there used, but a 5.1 ready unit is the way to go.............had same pro logic receiver you have, went new, miss the punch of the older Sony better, but new receiver gives me much more opitions, optical inputs, more video/audio control, everything I need and a bit more..............Would consider a few bucks more for ES grade.....................check out Marantz, or Pioneer, or Yamaha...................Fish is right about outlaw www.outlawaudio.com .................worth a look.......................Take your time...........do not rush................

I'd have an answer if it wasn't for the digital output.....

I guess considering I don't have any digital inputs/outputs on my current receiver, the new one wouldn't necessarily have to have them. I'm really open to anything that will give me a nice, rich warm sound.

Something wrong with Sony, althought a 100 watt per doesn't sound as powerful as the 120 per you are running now.....................Lots of Vintage 2 channel out there used, but a 5.1 ready unit is the way to go.............had same pro logic receiver you have, went new, miss the punch of the older Sony better, but new receiver gives me much more opitions, optical inputs, more video/audio control, everything I need and a bit more..............Would consider a few bucks more for ES grade.....................check out Marantz, or Pioneer, or Yamaha...................Fish is right about outlaw www.outlawaudio.com .................worth a look.......................Take your time...........do not rush................

Nothing wrong with it at all, I'm just getting the bug for the always elusive bigger & better. [:)]

Wuzzzer, just curious, why would you buy a pair of $2200 speakers and then connect them to a receiver for $350? You are not going to get your money's worth from the RF-7's. My advice to you, save your money until you can afford to purchase a nice preamp / amp combo. You'll be amazed at the sound quality of the RF-7's when they are connected to high-end components. Just my 2 cent.

Wuzzzer, just curious, why would you buy a pair of $2200 speakers and then connect them to a receiver for $350? You are not going to get your money's worth from the RF-7's. My advice to you, save your money until you can afford to purchase a nice preamp / amp combo. You'll be amazed at the sound quality of the RF-7's when they are connected to high-end components. Just my 2 cent.

I bought my RF-7s for $1000! [:)] I'm just thinking of the fact that a new(er) receiver might be a nice step up from what I have now. I like to move in small increments when it comes to upgrading. My wife is happier that way. [6]

{edit} I started a new thread about getting a new receiver versus DeanG's modified crossovers.

One interesting thing about the stereo outlaw stereo reciever is that it has a USB connection for connecting to your computer - way cool!

Interesting that they don't have a digital input though...especially considering they already have that circuitry for the USB input.

It seems that most everything these days with digital inputs is sporting surround sound.