Piggybacking my other thread...new receiver or x-over upgrade?

wuzzzer

TKDA, and Whell, What's this If Music was the Passion Crap? If I choose to have a 5.1 set-up Music isn't my passion? Your singing to the wrong choir here fellows...........Music is the Passion always has been, always will be...............the 5.1 for movies and concert dvd's makes me more VERSATILE with my home unit.............I listen to Music cd's in 2 channel, I cannot afford to have 2 different systems, 2 channel, and 5.1, to suit my needs, so I chose a HT Reciever to service my needs............like every other average Joe consumer...........the technical stuff kills me, some I understand, some I don't, but I LOVE the Music...........with or without fancy stereo equipment, the Music is always there..........In the end I could live without the equipment, but in this day and age, Why would you limit yourself to one form of entertainment, try it all, Listen to music in 2 channel, but Oh Boy, those Movies in 5.1 or DTS are pretty damn good too...................I'm not afraid of the dreaded 2 Channel Guys...........Bring Em' On..........Enjoy the Music.............

I wasn't trying to pee in anyone's Corn Flakes. However, home theater equipment is designed to do certain things well, and 2 channel equipment is designed to do other things well. Sure, you can certainly play 2 channel music on a 5.1 system and enjoy the heck out of it. However, speakers, equipment, room accoutics, speaker placement, etc., that is optimal for HT doesn't necessarily produce the MOST OPTIMAL results for 2 channel listening. So, either you can buy one system that does both, and put up with certain compromises, or pursue the path that will optimize one or the other.

TKDA, and Whell, What's this If Music was the Passion Crap? If I choose to have a 5.1 set-up Music isn't my passion? Your singing to the wrong choir here fellows...........Music is the Passion always has been, always will be...............the 5.1 for movies and concert dvd's makes me more VERSATILE with my home unit.............I listen to Music cd's in 2 channel, I cannot afford to have 2 different systems, 2 channel, and 5.1, to suit my needs, so I chose a HT Reciever to service my needs............like every other average Joe consumer...........the technical stuff kills me, some I understand, some I don't, but I LOVE the Music...........with or without fancy stereo equipment, the Music is always there..........In the end I could live without the equipment, but in this day and age, Why would you limit yourself to one form of entertainment, try it all, Listen to music in 2 channel, but Oh Boy, those Movies in 5.1 or DTS are pretty damn good too...................I'm not afraid of the dreaded 2 Channel Guys...........Bring Em' On..........Enjoy the Music.............

I wasn't trying to pee in anyone's Corn Flakes. However, home theater equipment is designed to do certain things well, and 2 channel equipment is designed to do other things well. Sure, you can certainly play 2 channel music on a 5.1 system and enjoy the heck out of it. However, speakers, equipment, room accoutics, speaker placement, etc., that is optimal for HT doesn't necessarily produce the MOST OPTIMAL results for 2 channel listening. So, either you can buy one system that does both, and put up with certain compromises, or pursue the path that will optimize one or the other.

Listen Peeing in someone's Corn Flakes is disgusting, and why can't Receivers be written about on 2 channel...........did I miss a rule........they have many times before.....guess I'm just confused..........is this tech questions?........

However, home theater equipment is designed to do certain things well, and 2 channel equipment is designed to do other things well.

So what specifically are the different design considerations between "HT" and "2-channel" equipment?

This is a tough call. His receiver is pretty old, and it wasn't that great to begin with. In the end he will probably want to do both, but if it was me I would dump the receiver asap and buy a nice Cambridge unit to match his already pretty decent CD player. After that, he can think about the network mod -- which will highlight the good gear instead of the bad gear.

Dean, I couldn't have asked for a more honest answer! Especially since you'd be the one doing the crossover upgrade! Thanks to everyone for their responses. I think I will take Dean's advice and look for a nice receiver first. I'll also be asking a friend who has RF-7s what receiver he was using when I heard his a few years back. I remember the sound being much nicer than my current setup.