Klipschorn Jubilee (Babies First Sounds)

mikebse2a3

Roy.

Can you comment on something for us please. Was the Jubilee Bass Bin at Hope this year the same thing as Mike and Richard have? I was quite sure that you said the one at Hope was ported and it "appears" these aren't.

Mike and Richard. You two have this forum at all ears right now. You both are making statements "suggesting" the jubilee is a step up from the mighty Khorn. I know that I am going to make every effort to come to TN to hear these things once yall get them set up and send the official invite.

Very jealous.

Now....you want to take any kind of a stab at this point "how" the jubs bass sounds vs the khorn. You know, such things such as low end, accuracy, punch, quickness.....and such.

One thing I noticed at Hope was the Bass was "coming at me" as opposed to being around the room. This is something I like about the la scala and the Corn. I would point these speakers directly at my face to get the sound I wanted. Somewhat directional. Could be wrong as far as the objective diffence but this is what I was noticing as the difference. I also wondered if the "port" was giving it a little "boom' quality setting it apart from the Khorn. Heck, maybe there was never a port.

jc

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

miketn,

i can't tell from the picture but are you smiling?

i have been reading these posts for years now and i remember reading how much people wanted for klipsch to make the home jub possible. i would think, roy, if they only knew how close that possibility was. then i would argue with myself. anyway, when the pilgramage came back to hope last year, i wanted to show the jub die hards that it was possible, very possible to have the jub in the home. the jub is mostly about the lf horn. and i knew that our cinema line could provide excellent hf horns. after the pilgramage last year where i demo'd jubs with electronic crossovers, then i heard, how about a passive? and, although from the other post i just read i may not know how to design a passive, i decided to throw caution to the wind and design a passive that i demonstarted this year at the pilgramage. then i thought, who will bite now? well mike tn, you and coyotee-o stepped up to the mic and i was impressed with your desire to get jubs. and so to you and coyotee-o, i tip my horn and say, (and i copy doc),

DANG YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!

enjoy paul's work and passion. and if you need anything, just hook up a mic thru your amp and jubs and i'll hear ya!!

berryboy roy

Roy.

Can you comment on something for us please. Was the Jubilee Bass Bin at Hope this year the same thing as Mike and Richard have? I was quite sure that you said the one at Hope was ported and it "appears" these aren't.

Mike and Richard. You two have this forum at all ears right now. You both are making statements "suggesting" the jubilee is a step up from the mighty Khorn. I know that I am going to make every effort to come to TN to hear these things once yall get them set up and send the official invite.

Very jealous.

Now....you want to take any kind of a stab at this point "how" the jubs bass sounds vs the khorn. You know, such things such as low end, accuracy, punch, quickness.....and such.

One thing I noticed at Hope was the Bass was "coming at me" as opposed to being around the room. This is something I like about the la scala and the Corn. I would point these speakers directly at my face to get the sound I wanted. Somewhat directional. Could be wrong as far as the objective diffence but this is what I was noticing as the difference. I also wondered if the "port" was giving it a little "boom' quality setting it apart from the Khorn. Heck, maybe there was never a port.

jc

Hi jc

Yes your description is pretty accurate of what I'm hearing except I haven't noticed any boom quality myself.

The Bass does seem to emminate from the source (for example I was playing a very good recording of a stand up Acoustic Bass (DRUMS and other Low Frequency Sounds Have Displayed This Quality Also) and the sound is focused and seems to emminate waves of energy from the image source in the recording toward me. One of the most noticable qualities of the Jubilees I have is, its they have a firm grip on the air between you and the instrument on good recordings which does give you the sense of Clarity, Impact and Realism. There are many times when you can feel the vibration on your body and in the chair/floor where your located without the sound level being really loud. You get the sense that you can count the bass cycles of some sounds. There are also times when a recording called for it that I felt enveloped with a low frequency sound in the room that gives you the sense of a much larger space. What I'm saying is the Jubilee seems to have a "Real Lock" on the air in the room and this is why I say its like the Jubilee is able to ignore the room more versus the Khorn although both without a doubt are still influenced by the room"s qualitys. I'm truely impressed in the sound I'm getting in a less than ideal room which in the real world is what most of us have.

mike tn[:)]

Roy, Your (and Paul's) jubs impressed me like no other speaker ever has at the pilgrimage last year. Got that reinforced a bit this year hearing them again. Bob Crites

thanks for the kind words mr bob. as a speaker guy, you often say to yourself, okay what's next? but a jub in alot of respects, especially against paul's golden rules, excels at all of the them; not perfectly but scores high in all categories. you think tweak here and there but as paul searched for awhile for the next step up to the mighty khorn, i wonder now what? maybe just sit back and listen....at least, that is what my wife says. :)

berryboy roy

miketn,

i can't tell from the picture but are you smiling?

i have been reading these posts for years now and i remember reading how much people wanted for klipsch to make the home jub possible. i would think, roy, if they only knew how close that possibility was. then i would argue with myself. anyway, when the pilgramage came back to hope last year, i wanted to show the jub die hards that it was possible, very possible to have the jub in the home. the jub is mostly about the lf horn. and i knew that our cinema line could provide excellent hf horns. after the pilgramage last year where i demo'd jubs with electronic crossovers, then i heard, how about a passive? and, although from the other post i just read i may not know how to design a passive, i decided to throw caution to the wind and design a passive that i demonstarted this year at the pilgramage. then i thought, who will bite now? well mike tn, you and coyotee-o stepped up to the mic and i was impressed with your desire to get jubs. and so to you and coyotee-o, i tip my horn and say, (and i copy doc),

DANG YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!

enjoy paul's work and passion. and if you need anything, just hook up a mic thru your amp and jubs and i'll hear ya!!

berryboy roy

Roy I'm definitly smiling!!![:D]

Roy I haven't read any post yet about passive crossovers but I was really impressed with the passive version of the Jubilee that I heard in Hope and without a doubt it was a great example of a TWO WAY that sounded as if it spoke with "one voice" instead of two. As you know from our conversations (About PWK and his "Goals in Loudspeakers Design", Richard Heyser's Works, and The Importance of Time Correction) that I was really interested in correcting for Time Delay and the active crossover route offers that and (so many other possibilities for correction for that as well as fine tuning the system even more as well as dealing with some room issues also) I was determined to go for it all! If anyone has ever heard the Quad 63 USA loudspeaker then you know what I mean by a "single voice" and what it sounds like in a loudspeaker and Roy's passive version as well as this active version of the Jubilee posses that quality with all the benefits and capabilities that a fully horn loaded system is capable of! So if anyone one wants a Jubilee without the complexity and expense of active crossovers then I would highly recommend Roy's passive version and I've heard them both!

How cool. What kinda dog is Poncho?

Chihuahua

dont want to derail your thread, but what kind of chihuaua is poncho? my ex loves that dog, but i dont remember the ears sticking up like that!

I have had two Chihuahua dogs and I always heard them called a "Long Nose" Chihuahua and both of them have had ears that will stand up like that with certain expressions on their faces. Very Smart and great members of the family! Not best for young kids though in my opinion.

Roy, Your (and Paul's) jubs impressed me like no other speaker ever has at the pilgrimage last year. Got that reinforced a bit this year hearing them again. Bob Crites

thanks for the kind words mr bob. as a speaker guy, you often say to yourself, okay what's next? but a jub in alot of respects, especially against paul's golden rules, excels at all of the them; not perfectly but scores high in all categories. you think tweak here and there but as paul searched for awhile for the next step up to the mighty khorn, i wonder now what? maybe just sit back and listen....at least, that is what my wife says. :)

berryboy roy

Roy this is pretty much how I feel now with the Jubilees! They have given me the qualties I believe to be important in a loudspeaker and I believe its going to be a long time before there is going to be that "next significant" leap in performance so at my age I want to play with the Jubilees, My Room Acoustics and Enjoy my Music!

Hey Mike...a little experiment for ya. Can you adjust the time delay on that EV unit in real time? Or will the sound pause for a second when you load the new setting? I would be very interested in your take on the difference between time-alignment on and off. For the sake of completeness you would probably need to do some phase correction as well (optomized aligned versus optomized unaligned), but that should be easy to do with the presets? Maybe just copy the transfer function of Roy's passive design?

I'm also curious about the beaminess of those HF horns. Is there in fact some level of constant directivity EQ being implemented on the K69 driver? If so, what frequencies and how much? Ultimately I guess I'm asking how big is the sweet spot? Roy refuses to share any polar information so I think he's hiding something - always some lame excuse about them little Jubilee "cubes" being heavy [;)][6][H]

As far as "the next step" - when you guys gonna start modding your speakers? I hear that ported mod calling your name. [H]

Actually, it would be interesting to have a hornloaded sub counter-part to go with the Jubilees. In the name of accurate reproduction there is an entire octave of music below the cutoff of the Jubilee.

Actually, it would be interesting to have a hornloaded sub counter-part to go with the Jubilees. In the name of accurate reproduction there is an entire octave of music below the cutoff of the Jubilee.

There might be a missing octave but these things (for me) have been amazing and leaving me, NO desire/concerns about any missing bass. I'm one who, unlike Mike I think, LOVES to shake & rattle the rafters on a continuous basis.

Midrange? (Mike), who needs stinking midrange when the walls are shaking? [6] [;)]

J. Cullison: you asked about some of the feelings and I think Mike answered it very well. I had some comments here (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/778780.aspx) but I'll still make a comment.

I did a quick setup of these and am fairly sure I still have some tinkering to do. That said, I slapped Floyd's PULSE dvd on and sat back while listening.

I think I'd describe these as a cross between a LaScala and a Khorn on steroids. Meaning, as I think you inferred, the bass seems to be more focused AT you, rather than surrounding you. I think with the Khorn, some of the bass energy is absorbed into the corner behind the unit and that's what helps make it part of the room, make the walls shake blah blah... (I suppose that's an obvious statement).

The LaScala is more focused and might not shake the walls as much but will punch you squarely in the chest. I think it's because the bass is more focused out the front.

Enter Jubilee. This thing was NOT cranking. Loud yes, but geez, my HF section was using about 7 watts. I've no idea what the bass section was using. As I was listening to Floyd, I was noticing that things in the room were buzzing & vibrating that I've NEVER noticed do that before. Even down to the small of my back as I was laying on the couch. The blanket was vibrating a bit, floor... With the Khorns, it seems the sonic rumble was more focused on the walls shaking. Then perhaps with a thwack of a snare drum, you might get a punch in the chest. These seem to gather all that rearward sprayed (absorbed into the walls?) energy and focus it right at you, much like the LaScala....only bigger....MUCH MUCH bigger.

I've had my Khorns up to insane levels, as with my LaScalas. Never in my life have I been timid about cranking it up. EVER.

These things are making me timid about cranking it up. I'll try to put one more thought in to words as best I can...

If you took a Heresy and dump 80 watts into it, clearly the speaker is going to be playing LOUD. now, take 20 watts (or what ever the equivilant is to get same loudness that the Heresy had) and dump it into the LaScala, Khorn or Jubilee and although the sound might be the same loudness in decibels, to me, the sound will be a lot BIGGER. in fact, the sound might even be bigger WITHOUT dumping a proportionally equivilant number of watts into the Heritage.

These Jubilees (to me) play HUGE. The are a bigger speaker at lower levels, than the Khorns are. At low levels I was still noticing solid bass.

Tonight is only my second night with wife gone. I don't like to crank it up when she's around. We DID listen to Simon/Garfunkels "Old Friends" dvd last night and she enjoyed it. But, that wasn't as loud as I'll do when I'm alone.

If I read you right, you will like what you hear. Fast, CLEAN and a LOT of authority.

Might be fun putting on some ear protection (over ear kind instead of plugs) and let these things really sing.

BTW, I sent you a PM the other day.

[:)]

I spose you are right in that it didn't get through. You can use my email. For ME, it's a lot better vehicle. I have a 'junk' email address I use on public forums. Someone here I chatted with got a kick out of the name. I got it on a lark as I was in a mood trying to create one and finally out of exasperation, I tried 'punk at bellsouth.net' and don't you know, it worked!

so I call that my trash email but honestly, I'm kind of humored to have it.

Hey Mike...a little experiment for ya. Can you adjust the time delay on that EV unit in real time? Or will the sound pause for a second when you load the new setting? I would be very interested in your take on the difference between time-alignment on and off. For the sake of completeness you would probably need to do some phase correction as well (optomized aligned versus optomized unaligned), but that should be easy to do with the presets? Maybe just copy the transfer function of Roy's passive design?

Hi Mike and sorry I'm just now responding but I've had about 10Hrs sleep in three days so I needed to crash for awhile.[|-)]

I haven't tried it but I should be able to adjust any settings in real time. Your right in if you were going to test the time alignment it wouldn't be as easy as just bypassing the time alignment settings since this would effect the Frequency Response (And Possible Lobing Shifts created by the non-time alignment) through the Crossover Region and that effect could be audible on its own. I suppose that we could as you said optimize the Non-Time Aligned System and compare it to the Time Aligned System but it wouldn't be comparing apples to apples though.

Some of the good benefits of Time Alignment that I see is the ability to have a smoother and well behaved crossover region and also the important benefit of having less Lobing Shifts which in my thinking will make the system more predictable (ie: stable, especially when thinking of room reflections and other acoustical matters) when it's installed in a listening room.

I'm also curious about the beaminess of those HF horns. Is there in fact some level of constant directivity EQ being implemented on the K69 driver? If so, what frequencies and how much? Ultimately I guess I'm asking how big is the sweet spot? Roy refuses to share any polar information so I think he's hiding something - always some lame excuse about them little Jubilee "cubes" being heavy [;)][6][H]

WHAT BEAMINESS? I kid you not when listening to music so far I've just not heard any shifts in Frequency Balance. I'ts like anywhere in the room receives the same tonal balance. I'm not saying their isn't beaming but I've not heard any beaming at this point in time. This Horn works Wonderfully!!! in my room. Yes there is EQig of the Horn/Driver but I haven't taken the time yet to really put together just where and how much since some of the EQ's overlap each other.

As far as "the next step" - when you guys gonna start modding your speakers? I hear that ported mod calling your name. [H]

I'll let Richard Blaze that trail (ie: I'll let him be the first to start cutting up his Jubilees).[:D]

Ya know, it's just now dawned on me... Mike has no WAF to worry about. Ya ya, he's got the girlfriend and all but I think we all know that when they're at GF status, we can still get away with a lot more than when they're holding onto the WIFE status.

a WIFE, seems to be the one has major issues with bringing a Jubilee home.

I see an opportunity here as I seem to be the first one forraging down the path of dealing with a wife on this issue. Well, perhaps second as I don't know what's up with 6'8.

I might start taking copious on how I'm dealing with these issues. After all, we just had our anniversary and on the card where it said ".... brings you all the best of things" she hand wrote "Jubilees" next to it! So, how cool is that?

Now, for you guys who want to figure out how to get over this hurdle with YOUR wife, I'll have to orgainize all my notes and then figure out what will be a fair market price for my secrets!! What will it be worth for you to not only finesse some WAF points, BUT, to have her go so far as to make comments about them on your anniversary cards???!!???!!???!! Oh indeed, I see my retirement looming that much sooner now!

[6] [6] [6] [6] [6]

we just had our anniversary and on the card where

it said ".... brings you all the best of things" she hand wrote

"Jubilees" next to it! So, how cool is that?

Priceless... [Y][Y][Y]

Being between GF's.... perhaps now would be my chance to get some in too... and avoid the issues all together... [:P]