RB-75 & RC-7 Vs new Reference Series

inter

Hello to all, excused for the errors, I do not speak English very well, are Italian. I make a question you: for the center channel, is better the model RC-7 or new model RC-64? For problems of space I can only use of the diffusers bookshelf: currently best me it seems model RB-75 (or RB-81), it is previewed IV series also for series 7 and therefore a upgrade of the Rb-75 model? For the sorround I thought next to model RB-15.

One curiosity: why the center of the woofer in the RB-75 isn't black as the RB-5, RF-7, RC-7, RF-5?

Thanks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The RB75 uses a different 8 inch woofer that has a color matched dustcap. It really does not matter if its black or color matched.

The RB75 is supposedly better as the RB81 is not the direct replacement. From Generation III (RB75) to the Generation IV (RB81) they are not equal.

For the RC-7 versus RC64, I would think the RC64 is better due to the time aligning.

Welcome to the forum inter.

If you are looking for bookshelf speakers then the RB-75's are the way to go for the reasons Jay expressed. I use them as mains in my bedroom Home Theater along with the RC-7 and have to admit it's WAY overkill for that situation--meaning no one should have that awesome of a system for the bedroom. [H]

Insofar as the RC-7 is concerned I use that speaker in my main HT as well as my bedroom. The only reason I am considering listening to the RC-64 is because it looks so cool. I don't know which speaker you will prefer but I can't imagine the RC-64 being exponentially better than the RC-7 because Klipsch set the bar so high on this model.

In short, the RB-75's/RC-7 combination makes a killer L-C-R set up for Home theater and Music. I can't comment on the newer models because they aren't readily available in Texas.

I doubt anything could be exponentially better than the RC-7, but having owned it and the RC-64, I can say that I think the RC-64 is substantially better. Off-axis performance is better, and it sounds more natural ("effortless" is the only word to describe it). I also think the RF-83s are a substantial improvement over the RF-7s (still own both), although to a lesser degree than with the center channel speakers.

My girlfriend thinks the new Ref IVs are an even bigger improvement than I do, and she's a musician, so take that how you will.

Thanks to all for the answers. In Italy, to september, there will be a event where it will be possible to listen to the new Klipsch series. In Italy model RB-75 is not diffused a lot. A trader has said to me that the RC-7 is too big for the RB-75. The speaker corrected it is the model RC-35. For you it is true?

I have read that the new series is not wired with the Monster Cable, according to you this can have recorded on the quality of the speakers?

A trader has said to me that the RC-7 is too big for the RB-75. The speaker corrected it is the model RC-35. For you it is true?

I have read that the new series is not wired with the Monster Cable, according to you this can have recorded on the quality of the speakers?

The RC-7 is NOT too big for the RB-75's and is the EXACT Center channel Klipsch recommends to use with the RB-75's! Definitely get the RC-7 over the RC-35. My guess is the Trader doesn't have any RC-7's available and is trying to sell you what they have in stock. [:|]

Insofar as the wiring inside the speaker, it doesn't matter if it's Monster or something else.

I think your front 3 speakers and sub would sound awesome and the RB-15's would work nicely as surrounds (you may have to bump up the "gain"). That being said, if you are going to use this system for listening to Multichannel music you may want to negotiate a deal on the RB-35's which are closer in specs to the RB-75 but should be considerably less expensive. I also think you would be more happy with the RB-25's which goe 20 Hz lower than the RB-15's. I hope you get a chance to audition them for yourself because that is the only way to make a right decision. [:)]

{edit: The RB-5's were the top bookshelf speaker in the Klipsch line several years ago. If they can be found in Italy at a reduced price that would be your best option on a Bang-for-your-Euro option for surrounds, imo.[;)]}

Having spent 3 months with beta Ref IV up front I had the chance to A/B my RC-7 to the RC-64.

My front end is RB-75's, I now have the RC-64, the blend across the front is now seamless. With the RC-7, I could tell the difference and had noticed it before the RC-64 even came out. RC-7 too big with RB-75's? No way, it was our suggestion as a center.

RB-15 as surrounds, maybe step up to the RB-25 if you can find them, if you really want to use a direct radiating speaker as a surround, they should be fine.The RB-25 has keyhole mounts like the RB-15, wall mounting would be easy.

I have the RB-5 as well, they are nice speakers, but the RB-75 is the way to go in my opinion

Having spent 3 months with beta Ref IV up front I had the chance to A/B my RC-7 to the RC-64.

My front end is RB-75's, I now have the RC-64, the blend across the front is now seamless. With the RC-7, I could tell the difference and had noticed it before the RC-64 even came out...

My RC-7 blends seamlessly with the RB-75's--Maybe you got a faulty unit.[:o] I know, you are the Golden Ear and I am not.[;)]

For the front speakers I will go on model RB-75.

The RC-7 has a 1,75" magnetically shielded, the RC-64 has 1,25" magnetically shielded: this can produce different sound?

The low frequency of the RC-7 is 45Hz, the low frequency of the RC-64 is 62Hz: this is an important data or not?

p.s.: I ask excuse for my English, I hope it are made to understand to me.

• 4 years later...

My front end is RB-75's, I now have the RC-64, the blend across the front is now seamless. With the RC-7, I could tell the difference and had noticed it before the RC-64 even came out...

I realize that this is an old thread but am curious how the RC-64II would mate with a pair of RB-75s, and if it's an even better match than its predecessor, how it actually sounds with the original RF-7s compared to an RC-7? [^o)] {Note: Mr Phillips is talking about the original RC-64}

I also found this:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/114813/1159720.aspx#1159720

I suppose its a moot point at this late date, but Klipsch support recommended the RC64 saying that he tested both with the RF7 and the RC64 was "more natural...both did and excellent job with the center dialog". I would be hard pressed to choose the RC64 again given the info you got from the previous posts. I am just passing along what I was told. I'm far from an expert but the RC64 sounds good with RF7. There may be a gap in the seam between the two that I can't hear. Like you I heard all the raves about the RC64 and chose them.

I'd like to know who from Klipsch said that.

The RC7 is the CORRECT center for a pair of RF7 main speakers but I"m sure the RC64 is pretty close. The slight timbre mismatch would be in the frequency range of the crossover, around 2200-2500 Hz, something you may never pick up on in normal listening.

EDIT - To clarify, on the RC7 the first woofer gives up at 550 Hz, then a single woofer carries the brunt of vocal fundamentals up to 1950, where the horn and 1.75" driver take over

The RC64 has a completely different complement of speakers and network. In it, all four woofers work up until 1150 Hz, where a pair take over up to the 1800 Hz point, where the horn and 1" driver carry the rest of the spectrum.

It's that 550-2000 Hz bandwidth that are going to be different. That is the dialog range (human vocal fundamental tones). I've not A/B'd the two, but there has to be some differences. At least the woofer/horn crossover point is virtually identical.

I did Michael.

I felt it was a bit more natural between my RB-75's. Persoanly I felt the RC-7 was a bit "honky" after comparing in my system A to B.....they were both there for 3 months........

I did mention to shake777 that I used it between RB-75's and not the RF-7, but he may have missed that point, no worries

I realize that this is an old thread but am curious how the RC-64II would mate with a pair of RB-75s, and if it's an even better match than its predecessor, how it actually sounds with the original RF-7s compared to an RC-7? Hmm {Note: Mr Phillips is talking about the original RC-64}

Anyone?

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (especially with no new, super helpful information...[:|]) but I too am faced with this problem. I have RF-7s and an RC-7 and they sound great for sure. I have the opportunity to buy an RC-64 for $600 and I could sell my RC-7 for about $350 or so (friend of mine). So basically I could get an RC-64 for $250 in the end but I am not sure if I should since it may or may not match the RF-7s perfectly like the RC-7 does. I do not have a super critical ear so if the difference in timbre matching is very very slight then I probably won't notice at all. But my question is are the other benefits of the RC-64 over the RC-7 worth $250?

Understand that I have read all of the other threads mentioning this (and similar issues) so a redirect likely won't be helpful. Any help or opinions from RF-7 or RC-64 owners would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

I've originally had the RC-7 with my RF-83's and it sounded very well. I'm like you, I do not have a critical ear so I'm not sure how much different the RC-64 sounded since I was not able to compare them in the same home with different accoustics. Both are great speakers but I prefer the RC-64. Not sure how it sounds with the RF-7 but have read several people doing it and not having any regrets. Will you hear $250 worth of difference? Not sure.

2597007658_73fa594369_z.jpg?zz=1

Thanks for your input on this man. I will most likely pull the trigger on the RC-64 and just compare the two for myself and just the sell the one I don't want. I really love the RC-7 so far with my RF-7s and have no complaints (especially with HT material - it sounds incredible). I just got a chance to get an RC-64 at a pretty good price and I know how awesome it's supposed to be so thought I'd see what others have chosen between the two.