Very impressed with heresey's

tuned4life

I finally got a chance to sit down and give my new heresy's a good listen. I have them set up on a wall about 6 feet apart in front of my computer desk. I am powering them with a marantz 2325 receiver. I have a marantz 5220 cassette deck and marantz CD67LE CD player hoked up to them. unfortunately no room for a turtable. I recorded some Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt, Pretenders, Santana, and Neil Young from vynal on to virgin maxell XLII tape. I was very very impressed. Much more detail than the pioneer cs 99a's that I used before the heresy purchase. there was some listening fatigue with the pioneer cs 99a's but not with the heresy's. I can now say that I am completely sold on the klipsch heritage speakers. I havent taken the back panel off heresy's but in ebay pic I notice there is no type of dampening material inside cabinets like the cornwalls have. I am going to have a local craftsman veener all 4 of my heresy's when the pair from Wisconson arrive. I am leaning towards a dark walnut but will look at all the options. as far as I am concerned, the heresy's sound great and are perfect for small listening area.

Hey, I'll agree that given their small size, they're a nice sounding speaker. If they still have the original capacitors, you may want to consider a replacement, as they're on the upside of 20 years. A fairly easy task, ifin' yer going to be pokin' around inside anyways.

Are you using the OEM(or equivalent)angled risers? Being close to the floor will help to provide for the most bass.

What finish do they currently have?

Listening to the Heresys is the main reason I'm glued to horn speakers. I was so impress with the sonics that I never went back to my old regular type of speakers. Now I own 6 Heresy II for my home theater, a pair of Klipschorn and a pair of Edgarhorn Titan II for my 2 channel. Nothing but HORNS.[:D]

I started with Fortes and then went on to Cornwalls. My Heresies were the 3rd Heritage model I listened to. Just couldn't get around the missing low end - not that I am a bass nut (I listen to Abbys after all!). IMO a little more bass is necessary to balance out the horn sound. I woulda kept 'em though if I could've worked a sub into that room.

Heresys were designed to be placed on the floor. They are voiced bright to compensate.

Try putting the heresys on the floor in a carpeted room. They will even right out. The balance is just like the belles that I have in the same room.

What I have heard, and am about to try, is a simple crossover adjustment to attenuate teh squaker and tweeter. Should make them sound balanced when used on a shelf.

I started with Fortes and then went on to Cornwalls. My Heresies were the 3rd Heritage model I listened to. Just couldn't get around the missing low end - not that I am a bass nut (I listen to Abbys after all!). IMO a little more bass is necessary to balance out the horn sound. I woulda kept 'em though if I could've worked a sub into that room.

Bass in any system is prabobly one of the best "attention getter". In my home theater the 6 Heresy II is compensated with a dual 12 SVS sub. Boy... does she ever sound rich and tight.

• Moderators

We had the chance to listen to the new Heresy's in Hope. They are truly awesome speakers for the size. I told dtel last night they are probably the perfect speaker for a smaller living room. I would think they are awesome for a surround system.

The Heresy's sounded great. The changes in engineering served the speaker well. We were told Klipsch may consider selling the newer components to upgrade older model Heresy's.

I actually thought our new Cornwall III's sounded better without the sub. It is not surprising that you don't require a sub with the Heresys. I think it is personal choice when it comes to added bass with these speakers.

The bright, clear sound is so impressive with all of the Heritage line. For you LaScala fans, the new LaScalas sound great and look just as good. IMO, the new LaScalas are beautiful and could be worked into any living room design.

I have never listened to tubes but I have owned most of the marantz receivers in the 1971-1978 era. To my ears there doesnt seem to be a lack of bass providing you give the marantz 2325 a little throttle. after owning 2325's for a long time I bought the earlier 2270 and then the 2245. The 2245 had what I can only describe as a very warm tone. the 2270 had the same warm tone quality. Having had the 125 watts of the 2325 I couldnt get past the lack of power in the 2245 and 2270. I later discovered that not all 2325 receivers sound the same. the early 1974-1975 model 2325's have the same warm tone quality as the 2245's and 2270's. the same is true with marantz model 4300 and 4400. the early models IMO sound sweeter than the 1976-1978 models. The early models had a more greenish blue dial than the later models. the 1976-1978 models had more of a blue dial. a very very few of the late 77 models had a very blue blue dial that I just love. To have the best of both worlds I swapped the final amp modules from early model 2325's into my late model 2325's. very easy to do. 4 screws and disconect plug. the modules will interchange between right and left sides. The differance in tone quality is either in the circuit board on the final amp modules or the output transistors themselves. It may have been easier to just swap the dial glass but I like the speaker terminals on the later models. Since november of 2000 I have probably owned (20) model 2325's, (10) 4400's, and a few 4300's and a few 2275's. some of the early model 4400's and 4300's have that same warm sound. On the 2325's I have the tone control in the "in" position with bass and mid controls straight up at 12 o clock. the treble control I have at 3 o clock. I have made side by side comparisions with the sansui 8080DB, sansui 9090DB, pioneer sx-1010, pioneer sx-1250. IMHO the marantz 2325 is the best sounding high power receiver out there. And the prettiest receiver ever made. My opinion probaly isnt worth squat because I have signifacant high range hearing loss.

If you're gonna have them veneered, why not spend a little more and have something fun and more valuable applied? Walnut is like the most common wood used on Klipsch.

I vote for teak, maple, cherry. Be different.

Hey I wonder if we could get em veneered in Knotty pine? That way they'd match the cabin!

M

I guess it would be safe to say Tuned4life kinda' likes his Marantz............always wondered about them..............if I remember mid 70's they were pricey, but those that owned them, loved them................interesting swap of amp modules, pretty clever......gives you what you want....................No Sub, straight Marantz power................What old dawg doesn't have High End Hearing Loss...............HUH..?????

Congrats on the purchase, these are wonderful speakers just as they are for 95% of the music you listen to. I would certainly consider upgrading the caps with new ones. If they are HBR's adding veneer will certainly dress them up for any decor you have. I agree with Colter, pick something you like and unusual if you are going to the expense of having them professionally covered. I did my first pair in walnut as a test to the difficulty and the second pair in cherry. I'll post a pic of each.

post-14322-13819307598976_thumb.jpg

WOW, very nice job on the heresy's. I hope the guy I have in mind can do that nice a job. I am leaning towards a dark walnut so they match my 2 pairs of Cornwalls. If the heresy's come out real nice I will consider an exotic veener for my 2 pair of unfinished 82 lascalas. The lascalas are in another room so they don't have to be walnut. The cherry would be nice in that they would brighter up the room a little. I viewed the pics of the lascala veenering project by one of the forum members. Lascalas might be a little more of a project than the guy I have in mind would take on. Until I build my audio fund back up the lascalas are a mute point.