Old School - Teac X-1000R reel to reel

Wardsweb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the welcome Parrot. Sorry for the delay but I was not at the pc over the weekend.

Talking about timing....Saturday Bluesboy brought over a new Ampex 456 to do some recording from my Jolida tubed output CD player. During editing on playback there was no sound on the right channel. I tried the other Teac and everything was fine. I then tried one of my Maxell tapes on the Teac #2 and it played fine. Then we remembered the thread on Scotch and Ampex tapes. I cleaned the heads and guides, removed the pinch rollers and roughed them up with some 220 grit paper, and put the tape back on. The high pitched squeal was still there. Repeated the cleaning routine with head cleaner and Q-tips and the q-tips came back dirty.

I think Bluesboy was bummed because he had bought several of the nos Ampex tapes at a good price. Apparently these tapes were stock from the 2 year period when the binder was prone to coming loose.

BTW ....nice Revox.

Tarheel

• Moderators

Thanks for the welcome Parrot. Sorry for the delay but I was not at the pc over the weekend.

Talking about timing....Saturday Bluesboy brought over a new Ampex 456 to do some recording from my Jolida tubed output CD player. During editing on playback there was no sound on the right channel. I tried the other Teac and everything was fine. I then tried one of my Maxell tapes on the Teac #2 and it played fine. Then we remembered the thread on Scotch and Ampex tapes. I cleaned the heads and guides, removed the pinch rollers and roughed them up with some 220 grit paper, and put the tape back on. The high pitched squeal was still there. Repeated the cleaning routine with head cleaner and Q-tips and the q-tips came back dirty.

I think Bluesboy was bummed because he had bought several of the nos Ampex tapes at a good price. Apparently these tapes were stock from the 2 year period when the binder was prone to coming loose.

BTW ....nice Revox.

Tarheel

Tarheel,

Sorry to hear about your 456 woes. It actually covers a period of more like 15 years where you can run into sheeding/squeeling 456. You take a big gamble when you buy NOS 456 or Scotch. If you buy NOS 456 you need to know the year it was made, and most sellers cannot tell you this information. If that is the case never pay or bid more then what the flanges (metal reels) are worth. If the tape turns up bad you can buy NEW 456 pancakes that will replace that old tape. The other alternative is to just buy new Emtec tapes that is being made in the Netherlands. It is great stuff and comes in 3 difference eq that are equilivent to 456, 499 and GP9.

I hope you guys get some good tape and get back into recording because I want to start a group on here where everyone records a 101/2 inch reel at 7.5 with what ever they wish on it and then we would rotate the tapes. After they went through a rotation we would record another and pass those along. So for the investment of one tape, which I am sure you would get back, everyone would be able to here a lot of different recordings, noise reduction techniques. The primary purpose of this would be first, pass along and share some music, and secondly, commnet on recording techniques and quality so that we can all learn from each other.

Wardsweb was up last Sat. and helped me get my rack set up for the arrival of my RT-909, I gave him a pancake of 456 and he is going to get recording on that and we are going to start switching around.

If either you or Bluesboy need reliable sources for tape please let me know.

Travis

tcwesq@texas.net

Fun reading about everyones reel to reels. I am currently down to just two units. For my 10 inch machine I have a Pioneer 1020L which is a pretty darn nice unit. I also have a Tandberg 64 which I think is one of the best sounding decks ever. Very cool looking as well. Ill drop a photo in later.

But reading this has me wanting to unbury all of my reels of tape. God knows what's on them because I have to say I wasnt the best librarian in those days!

Josh

Travis,

Iam back on line after being out of town for 2 days. No pc at home but hopefully that will change shortly. Bluesboy told me about your idea and we are ready to go. We can make a tape this weekend. I just got a batch of CDs from Amazon most have been remastered and some have bonus tracks. They will sound even better on tape! Also just got some 180gram Miles Davis and Art Blakey LPs.

Do we need to know what kind of music everyone likes or are we just going to send whatever we have? I imagine musical taste of contributors will be varied.

I would like to hear from any other forum members in my neighborhood (Wilmington, NC) who wants to contribute to this tape. 910 200-1225 or 910 395-0825

Tarheel (Chuck)

Here's a heads-up for anybody out there who want's to get back into reel to reels. E-bay item # 190021663734.The auction is for two tape decks that appear to be in great shape. These are the big 101/2'' glass ferrite head models.from Akai . The high bid is 600.00 with about an hour left.

• Moderators

Travis,

Iam back on line after being out of town for 2 days. No pc at home but hopefully that will change shortly. Bluesboy told me about your idea and we are ready to go. We can make a tape this weekend. I just got a batch of CDs from Amazon most have been remastered and some have bonus tracks. They will sound even better on tape! Also just got some 180gram Miles Davis and Art Blakey LPs.

Do we need to know what kind of music everyone likes or are we just going to send whatever we have? I imagine musical taste of contributors will be varied.

I would like to hear from any other forum members in my neighborhood (Wilmington, NC) who wants to contribute to this tape. 910 200-1225 or 910 395-0825

Tarheel (Chuck)

Chuck,

Glad to see you are back. Go to this thread http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/781045.aspx where I will go through what the plan is, if there are any other ideas or suggestions, and go from there.

Travis