Looking into getting a sub here in Canada. Advice wanted!

Swerv

HSU is all about functionality and zero bling,their drivers will never win any "Impressive Looks" contests.And they will never be ranked among the Ubber Displacement crowd.

This said they perform well,and in the perfectly optimised cabinets/ports/amp they are great performers.SVS uses more flashy drivers with greater cone travel and while they will play louder they do not better the less impressive HSU VTF series subs(comparing here a VTF3 to a SVS with the ISD driver).

You have to go with what sound best with your speakers ,looking at mumbo jumbo specs and high SPL for the sake of high SPL is a pointless wate of time. SPL past a certain point is of no use,unless you are deaf or testing structures.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swerv, I'm using a Paradigm PW-2100 with a pair of La Scalas. I chose the 10-inch 2100 over the 12-inch 2200 because it's reputed to be faster and more musical. They both have the same 400-watt RMS/1500-watt peak amplifier.

The price here in Victoria is around $900CAD, so you could even try bargaining for a pair for $1800 including tax.

The sound is clean and strong, and if you hook it up in the "plus 6dB way", connected to to both its left and right inputs, as I mistakenly did at first, you'll have enough bass to kick your sofa across the room.

Watching the No Doubt Rock Steady Live DVD, Tony Kanal's bass seemed as accurate and lifelike as I could ever imagine. As for low-end response, below 40Hz or so the room becomes a big factor. You'll only get 20Hz in a really big room, no matter what kind of speaker you have. Anyway, the lowest note on a 4-string bass guitar is around 40Hz, while a 5-string can go as low as 30Hz. Below that is only certain pipe organ music (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pat on the Island

Just FYI

In the freqency range these woofers operate the PW2100 is not at all faster than the PW2200.This impression of false "speed" is reinforced by the lesser deep bass extension of the PW2100.

There is not much speed in the very deep bass,and the cone/air mass being moved by the larger woofer does not have an audible effect.The Motor structure of the PW2200 is more capable to match the leger cone/air mass being moved.

It is correct to say a true linear sub capable of uncompressed 30Hz is all most will need.Subs capable of 16Hz are fun,but very large or expensive if true extreme bass performance is desired.

Interesting tidbit of info there. Slightly off topic but I just got some new stands...

Was going to get the wooden 36" high Sanus ones from a local shop that retailed for 170, but I ran into the fellow that helped me test out the REL sub at another shop and he offered to give me these B&W metal stands for almost 1/2 of regular price! Listed at $210 in store he gave them to me for $120!!! I have also seen these exact stands at another shop for $250, so I'm pretty happy =). These are really heavy compared to many of the other metal ones I was looking at, and that doesnt include the stuff I filled em with.

This is kind of my setup right now, the ultra sub is flat to about 32 hz in this room. I want something that is more musical, and will give me an octave lower (if that is possible for $1800 ) The seismic and VTF-3 sound like my best bet then...

also you havent told me if you like the seismic 12 for music =)

Here are the new stands, this is the previous setup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a semi finished stand, about to add some weight(not that it needs it.) I got some what I thought was sand from the construction area just beside my building... Turns out it is Cement mix (before it is cement) It is quite heavy and more paste'y than regular sand. I put a bit of teflon tape around the inside bottom just in case to prevent any leaks. The stands alone weigh 36 pounds, with the filler each one is around 50-60+ pounds each

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

And finally some playing around with the final setup... sounds great =)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://img143.imagevenue.com/loc528/th_42341_15_122_528lo.jpg

Do I like the Seismic 12 as a music sub,yes it is satisfactory.Satisfactory as I am very picky and when you have tasted Dynaudio's Sub 300 and 500 you have heard a new benchmark in small subs.

Oh and I just realised your budget is up to $1800 (DOH).Why did I fail to mention the Dynaudio sub 300??? Anyway have a listen if you can find a dealer,it is one sub that will make you forget the compact REL subs.

Ohh that Dynaudio looks fantastic. I don't think it would dig much deeper than the REL but maybe pump out a few more spl?

Tell me more about it... I'm intrigued =) What kind of price can i expect to pay for one of these sub300's. I'am leaning towards something more musical now... that will at least give me flat response to about 24hz in room. So I think I'm gonna try and steer clear of the TurboFAN type subs.

The SUb300should be easy to find under $1800CAN.Uses a 10" woofer,250W RMS amp,remote control(full function).Quality is simply first rate,well above the competition,output good and bass quality top notch. Bests the high output deaf a tonn subs in quality.Output is more than satisfactory,only deaf people will complain.

Check it out,its a winner.

Swerv, I'm using a Paradigm PW-2100 with a pair of La Scalas. I chose the 10-inch 2100 over the 12-inch 2200 because it's reputed to be faster and more musical. They both have the same 400-watt RMS/1500-watt peak amplifier.

The price here in Victoria is around $900CAD, so you could even try bargaining for a pair for $1800 including tax.

The sound is clean and strong, and if you hook it up in the "plus 6dB way", connected to to both its left and right inputs, as I mistakenly did at first, you'll have enough bass to kick your sofa across the room.

Watching the No Doubt Rock Steady Live DVD, Tony Kanal's bass seemed as accurate and lifelike as I could ever imagine. As for low-end response, below 40Hz or so the room becomes a big factor. You'll only get 20Hz in a really big room, no matter what kind of speaker you have. Anyway, the lowest note on a 4-string bass guitar is around 40Hz, while a 5-string can go as low as 30Hz. Below that is only certain pipe organ music (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pat on the Island

You are right,I did several tests on the 2200 and the 2100,The 2200 will go little lower, 1db,But this can be hardly heard if any.the 2100 is tighter and quicker than the 2200,The 2100 takes more abuse than the 2200,And the 2100 seemed to sound lower than the 2200,I found no cone popping coming from the 2100 at all during many tests,even testing watching Mr incrediables movie,The 2200 at 80hz setting level 3 oclock volume ,The woofer started to pop many times,So we replaced the 2200 sub with an other figuring we have a sub problem,No same thing with this one so they are all the same,The pw-2100 just kept going, with power to spare,It stayed clean and had deep low end that you could feel in the room,We even made adjustments ,then we cranked her right up full just to see how that little 10" driver would do,The 2100 just wanted more !.It did not even want to distort,As for chest pounding bass the 2100 you can feel in the room,the 2200 you can not.

Pat on the Island

You are right,I did several tests on the 2200 and the 2100,The 2200 will go little lower, 1db,But this can be hardly heard if any.the 2100 is tighter and quicker than the 2200,The 2100 takes more abuse than the 2200,And the 2100 seemed to sound lower than the 2200,I found no cone popping coming from the 2100 at all during many tests,even testing watching Mr incrediables movie,The 2200 at 80hz setting level 3 oclock volume ,The woofer started to pop many times,So we replaced the 2200 sub with an other figuring we have a sub problem,No same thing with this one so they are all the same,The pw-2100 just kept going, with power to spare,It stayed clean and had deep low end that you could feel in the room,We even made adjustments ,then we cranked her right up full just to see how that little 10" driver would do,The 2100 just wanted more !.It did not even want to distort,As for chest pounding bass the 2100 you can feel in the room,the 2200 you can not.

[:P]

At least good to hear you both find the little Paradigm this effective.

BTW $900canadian is a rotten price for a PW2200 let alone the PW2100,I can get the PW2200 for $750 and the PW2100 for $650.New,some dealers are so stiff they need to loosen up their inflated pricing.Its not about dumping either buy come on at least make it tax in.

Swerv,

Still looking for a sub I have a lead to a Klipsch RT-10d for $1500 Canadian.Brand new sealed in box.

Arthur, I'm very interested, for financial reasons my sub purchases will be delayed until at least mid october. Maybe we can work something out. If this is something you need to jump on right away I understand, In any case, thanks! Thats a fantastic deal for the rt-10d. Drop me a email if you can, ed3dfx@hotmail.com

Thanks,

- Ed

If i had to pay $900.00 for a pw2100 or 2200 to keep,I would have got some thing else,I have close friends that own several different stores and sell many different brands,$650.00 is agood price for the public,But the dealer is still making lots of money.All I had to say is the pw2100 with only a 10" driver is a little rocker when it comes to music, And for home theatre it kicks you in the gut.It puts the rsw 10 to shame.

If i had to pay $900.00 for a pw2100 or 2200 to keep,I would have got some thing else,I have close friends that own several different stores and sell many different brands,$650.00 is a good price for the public,But the dealer is still making lots of money.All I had to say is the pw2100 with only a 10" driver is a little rocker when it comes to music, And for home theatre it kicks you in the gut.It puts the rsw 10 to shame.

Shhh not so loud,we Canadians know we have some great choices made right here,in Canada. [;)]

Yes the PW2100 beats the RSW10(the classic RSW10),and costs ...a damn lot less.None the less I really enjoy my RSW stack.

Ear have you had a chance to hear the RSW10d and the RT-10d side by side? What kind of difference or performance can I expect? Maybe a Klipsch mod can answer this one too. I know the RT-10d includes the mic for the auto room correction, but aside from the shape, little more power and extra radiator what is the main difference from these two units. I will add that I was mighty impressed with the RSW10d, I just don't get why they made the enclosure smaller!