RF 83 or not to be

DVDDenny

Am seriously ready to purchase a surround package. Either the RF 83 or RF 63. Please give me a clue as to what difference in sound I might hear between these two surround packages. I have two subs, plenty of power and a good prepro. My home theater room is 14x17 ( not totally enclosed), I listen to all types of movies and loud rock concert videos. After I get the speakers broke in I will come back with my review of their sound . This my first post.... hope be more active.

Problem is guys, the horns are identical on the rf-63 and rf83. The difference is subtle yet its there. The rf-83 imho has a wider sound stage as the enclosure is a bit wider and the speakers are a bit taller meaning its more ear level. The depth is subjective as they only differ 3 hertz or so. It might be more noticeable in different conditions, i.e. a room that has good bass response say at home and then a room that did not work well like say the store. The rf-83 is a bit more efficent but not that super necessary.

But I would stay with the 1.25 inch tweeter as much as possible as that calls for the rc-64 and the surrounds are again subjective with the wide dispersion rs62 or getting a pair of bookshelf rb-81. But the rears do not have the 1.25 inch tweeters but just the 1 inch

Yes, I would be matching the center and surrounds to each package with the RC 64 center . I wonder if the RF 83s will be overkill for the size of the room. Probably no real way to know till set up and running in my room. The home theater room I have been working on for a year now and swear to have it done one more month! Or at least done for NOW.

I have the rf-83 in a smaller room, 12X14? and they sounded fine, overkill maybe but sq was great. The surrounds are not as important to match and getting the rs62 would be fine, the only other option are to have the surrounds are: two rc64, two rf63, rf83 to match the same tweeter used in the front.

The 83's is the more brutal of the two. Higher output, more gutsy sounding. Better for big home theater and for those liking their music large. Sub that matches should be capable of a whole lot of output without compressing or it won't keep up with the mains (think RT-12).

The 63 is lean and mean. Better for a smaller space and really good if you listen to smaller music (classical/Jazz, etc). 63 needs a sub that is cleaner up top since it wants a bit higher crossover freq (think RT-10). Chances are, either one will make you happy as a clam.

Your description is accurate. I had my local dealer loan me both RF-83 and RF-63 w/ RC-64 center . He was really great about it, as he had to deliver to my second floor home theater, which I have nearly completed. I have all weekend to tweak and listen to both. So far I have only listened to the 83's. I am set up the speaker size on the preamp and need your opinion to set speakers at "Large" or " Small". I have two subs that seem to work so far, but could go full range on the L & R.

After setting up and extensive listening to both sets of speakers I will give you my review and decision on which I choose. I listen to loud rock video, but also detailed movies, so the RF-63 are hopefully up to both.

At any rate the dealer was so great and matched my internet pricing. He will pick up whichever I decide I don't want to keep.

I have the RF-83 with RC-64 center in a room close to yours. Very nice sounding speaker. I heard both I like the 83 better. I listen to both movies and rock mostly. Very happy with the set up. I also have the RF-82 for rears. The system does need a good sub to go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a room of average size; about 18 x 10. After lots of brand and model shopping, I stuffed 4 RF-83s, and RC-64, and a RT-10d into it.

Since this setup isn't dedicated to movies only, and I listen to music quite a bit, I don't regret the RF-83s in the rear. They are large, but are nice and high to provide an excellent rear soundstage even over the back of the couch. I love it.

I would definately say that if I didn't listen to so much music, RF-83s in the back would have been a waste of money.

Let us know how things sound to you. Have fun!