Bob Dylan says modern recording atrocious.

Daddy Dee

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me Daddy Dee..............Bob Dylan can't sing anyway so how would he know what sounds good? Bob Dylan is one of the Greatest Songwriters of our times, without a doubt, but his vocal skills leave alot to be desired. If infact Mr. Dylan finds his recordings to be atrocious, he should refuse to let them be sold, wouldn't you think? Bob Dylan is a major figure in Rock History, and what he did at Newport, set the Musical world spinning, and changed the face Music forever...............Pluggin' In took alot of guts..........So, thanks to Bob for going electric, and writing some of the greatest songs in Rock music, but you still can't carry a note.........................Sorry...........

On the other hand, from one who can sing... (Tony Bennett) some thoughts on jazz - Allen?

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/tony%20bennett%20america%20is%20culturally%20void_1005988

Tony Bennett's point is well taken...............a great performer...........His view is more valid, and honest than Bob's, but I also feel there is a group of people that would not agree with that assessment...................Funny thing opinions...........they're like noses.....We all have them..............MUSIC makes the world go round.............too bad you have to put labels on it........Jazz...Rock....Pop...Country....Scrape away all the bull crap,and it's MUSIC.........plain and simple...............

OldBukster,

Your logic is a bit off. Regardless of your opinions of Mr. Dylans voice, he is certainly qualified to comment on the fact that CDs and digital do not sound as good as records did in the past. Let's see ...he is in the studio and hears the original and then compares it to the end product, and you say "how would he know what sounds good". I think maybe he would.

In regards to your comments on his recordings - virtually his entire catalog is available on high quality SACD and vinyl. In fact I am currently listening to his brilliant "Rolling Thunder Revue" Which was just re - issued on Classic Records. Sounds pretty darn good to me! Also his soon to be released new Album is available on vinyl. Like Neil Young, he is an artist who really cares and is committed to the quality of the recordings that you buy.

OldBukster,

Your logic is a bit off. Regardless of your opinions of Mr. Dylans voice, he is certainly qualified to comment on the fact that CDs and digital do not sound as good as records did in the past. Let's see ...he is in the studio and hears the original and then compares it to the end product, and you say "how would he know what sounds good". I think maybe he would.

In regards to your comments on his recordings - virtually his entire catalog is available on high quality SACD and vinyl. In fact I am currently listening to his brilliant "Rolling Thunder Revue" Which was just re - issued on Classic Records. Sounds pretty darn good to me! Also his soon to be released new Album is available on vinyl. Like Neil Young, he is an artist who really cares and is committed to the quality of the recordings that you buy.

My comments about Bob's singing are just MY opinion.........I don't care if anyone agrees....If he's so concerned, why do you have to buy SACD or Vinyl in order to get good recordings? Good recordings are available for a price, is that it? I respect Willie Nelson as a song writer and performer, but he can't sing either...........Doesn't mean that they are not important to Music's History...........Just means I don't like their Vocals .....No More...No Less..............Neil Young is a man that will take a stand against the Recording Industry if he deems it necessary...........He pratices what he preaches.......

Again, I have to question how well some of these lifetime performers can hear...

I think it conveys itself in the sound of their own modern recordings [:o]

oops, did I say that? Surely they would only be able to comment on their own recordings...

Sorry, I really shouldn't comment on music that's not my own cup of tea, but I couldn't resist.

On the other hand, from one who can sing... (Tony Bennett) some thoughts on jazz - Allen?

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/tony%20bennett%20america%20is%20culturally%20void_1005988

Tony pretty much has it right with respect to ".....Bennett feels that Americans don't even appreciate the impact of jazz in popular culture. He says, "Fifty years from now people will be bowing to DIZZY GILLESPIE and CHARLIE PARKER, just like impressionist painters like MONET, who were starving in their day. The Americans don't even know what they have come up with." So sad, but true. The other night, while the movie "The Whole Ten Yards", was playing on TBS (I think), the lines of a Charles Mingus tune becomes part of the movie. How many times do you hear " I don't understand Jazz"? Yet, it's all around us.

Klipsch out.

Predicting the future can be fun. Those of us who are still around in fifty years will be able to see if Bennett is correct. If he's not correct, and someone points that out, do you think anyone will care?

Bennett's statement smacks of elitism. It's pretty much the same as if he had said "Americans are too stupid to recognize the music that I like."

I presume that jazz will continue as a niche market but I see no reason to think that in fifty years it will be more appreciated than it is today. It's not as if people haven't been exposed to it. Why would our grandchildren or great grandchildren care more about it than the general public does now?

I've always found it interesting that Blue Note Records was founded by two German immigrants, Alfred Lion and Frances Wolff. IMO the U.S. has its share of inventiveness in the cinema arts, but I think Tony is saying jazz culture, relative to how the rest of the world sees it, is still underappreciated, or under valued, in the U.S. I hardly interpret his statement to mean he feels part of a powerful minority. On the other hand, classical composers have a long history of receiving significant financial support from wealthy patrons and/or politically powerful leaders.

I think most would appreciate Bob Dylan more if they listend to his CBS 60 min interview..

As for his voice, I have seen him live 2 times.. Can you really be a characature of yourself.. I mean, every commedian that does the WORST impression of him singing, is dead on!! LOL

Some great songs, yes..

As for the 60 min segment. Really, all he wanted to do was play some songs and be a stay at home dad.. He hated the road.. and to be away from his family. He realised early he could not hold a regular job, and allowed most of his "famousness" to come from the PR music lables and print people around him. THAT is what amazed me about the 60 min interview. He said a LOT of songs had nothing to do with what was supposedly written about them.. HE laughed.. I laughed with him The joke was on us the listeners.

"But getting the band of his dreams into the studio was only half the battle. "The records I used to listen to and still love, you can't make a record that sounds that way," he explains. It is as if having taken his new material down to the crossroads of the recording studio Dylan isn't wholly sure the deal struck with the devil there was worth it. "Brian Wilson, he made all his records with four tracks, but you couldn't make his records if you had a hundred tracks today. We all like records that are played on record players, but let's face it, those days are gon-n-n-e. You do the best you can, you fight that technology in all kinds of ways, but I don't know anybody who's made a record that sounds decent in the past twenty years, really. You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have sound all over them. There's no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like -- static. Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it. I remember when that Napster guy came up across, it was like, 'Everybody's gettin' music for free.' I was like, 'Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway.' ". . .

That, sadly is true...

Bob Dylan Mumbo Jumbo...........interpret what ever way fits best for your argument. Bottom line....Other performers did Dylan songs better than Dylan; The Byrds come to mind.......they did Dylan songs much better than Bob........but give the devil his due, he did write some great song................but the bad recordings, I think, referred to all forms of recordings, CD's and Records............

Neil Young is back? Yeah, with the same 30-year old guitar riffs and some boring political lyrics. Don't waste your $$$!

Neil Young never said he was a good Guitarist, his fans did.........Boring political lyrics, atleast you know where the man stands, takes guts to be against something..........Neil Young NEVER left.............Just as much a major figure in Rock History as any one, look at his career.........even if you don't care for him, you cannot deny his place in Rock....Neil has also written some great songs, and has been a member of some great bands.........