Bob Dylan says modern recording atrocious.

Daddy Dee

And there are even some country and rock CD's that sound fantastic. But I agree with him in that there are way too many dogs out there.

One fairly recent example of an excellent rock CD (in this case, progressive metal):

Vox Tempus - In The Eye Of Time:

B00065L6ZM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is a very well done CD, both from a recording and musical stand point. But then again, this is hardly mainstream (even Amazon only had one used copy for $28! - I bought my copy directly from the band for $10 at last years ProgPowerUSA festival (and even got it signed by the keyboardist).

Other albums that I found to sound extemely good:

Dreamscape - End Of Silence (which I also bought directly from the band at ProgPower last year (and signed) - they self-produce thier albums):

B00017NVDU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V5139977

Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter:

B0009ML238.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Again, these are hardly mainstream albums, but I found the contents, both technologically and musically to be far, far superior than just about everything I've heard on the mainstream within the last 5 years or so. So, yes, I fully agree with your statement that good, quality recordings, in any medium, can be found if you are willing to really look. Hell, even this Anubis Gate album that I got off of eMusic in MP3 format, that I am currently listening to as I am writing this, actually sounds quite good on my system - it actually does not sound compressed at all.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there are even some country and rock CD's that sound fantastic. But I agree with him in that there are way too many dogs out there.

One fairly recent example of an excellent rock CD (in this case, progressive metal):

Vox Tempus - In The Eye Of Time:

B00065L6ZM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is a very well done CD, both from a recording and musical stand point. But then again, this is hardly mainstream (even Amazon only had one used copy for $28! - I bought my copy directly from the band for $10 at last years ProgPowerUSA festival (and even got it signed by the keyboardist).

Other albums that I found to sound extemely good:

Dreamscape - End Of Silence (which I also bought directly from the band at ProgPower last year (and signed) - they self-produce thier albums):

B00017NVDU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V5139977

Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter:

B0009ML238.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Again, these are hardly mainstream albums, but I found the contents, both technologically and musically to be far, far superior than just about everything I've heard on the mainstream within the last 5 years or so. So, yes, I fully agree with your statement that good, quality recordings, in any medium, can be found if you are willing to really look. Hell, even this Anubis Gate album that I got off of eMusic in MP3 format, that I am currently listening to as I am writing this, actually sounds quite good on my system - it actually does not sound compressed at all.

Funny you say that. Most of the indie label cd's that I buy lately sound much better than major label releases. I have no idea why that would be, just my observation.

Bob D. has a tall soap box from which to talk. He should use it more wisely.

My read is that he is saying that his recent release sounds bad, but it was better in the studio. Somewhat of a lame excuse. He blames technology.

Obviously Bob D. has enough control, let me say "juice", to listen to the intermediate and final mix downs and hear what it sounds like. Then he can go back and demand something better, or create something better, before he puts his name on it. He is no young kid railroaded into a recording, at least these days.

Technology is not lacking. Does anyone think that Telarc Classical or Telarc Jazz fall short of the mark?

Gil

Bob D. has a tall soap box from which to talk. He should use it more wisely.

My read is that he is saying that his recent release sounds bad, but it was better in the studio. Somewhat of a lame excuse. He blames technology.

Obviously Bob D. has enough control, let me say "juice", to listen to the intermediate and final mix downs and hear what it sounds like. Then he can go back and demand something better, or create something better, before he puts his name on it. He is no young kid railroaded into a recording, at least these days.

Technology is not lacking. Does anyone think that Telarc Classical or Telarc Jazz fall short of the mark?

Gil

That about sums it up..........................

Did somebody really say "...I respect Willie Nelson as a song writer and performer, but he can't sing either..."? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? When my son gets a little older (he's 12) and he's trying to get the attention of a particular young lady, I'm gonna tell him -

1. Take her out for a nice dinner. Maybe Northern Italian, or better yet, Sushi. Important side note - Split a salad of HER choice.

2. Go to a movie of HER choice.

3. Ask her back to your dorm for coffee.

4. Put on "Stardust" by Willie Nelson.

5. Make damn sure you have protection.

Many years ago a similar plan was advised to me by a very wise man...and it worked even though I'm fat, ugly and obnoxious.

I still can't believe it...Willie Nelson can't sing....c'mon, you're killing me....

Did somebody really say "...I respect Willie Nelson as a song writer and performer, but he can't sing either..."? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? When my son gets a little older (he's 12) and he's trying to get the attention of a particular young lady, I'm gonna tell him -

1. Take her out for a nice dinner. Maybe Northern Italian, or better yet, Sushi. Important side note - Split a salad of HER choice.

2. Go to a movie of HER choice.

3. Ask her back to your dorm for coffee.

4. Put on "Stardust" by Willie Nelson.

5. Make damn sure you have protection.

Many years ago a similar plan was advised to me by a very wise man...and it worked even though I'm fat, ugly and obnoxious.

I still can't believe it...Willie Nelson can't sing....c'mon, you're killing me....

That would be Me................It's a matter of Opinion that's all, didn't say I was right......

"That would be Me................It's a matter of Opinion that's all, didn't say I was right......"

Saying someone can't sing is not an opinion. Saying that you do not enjoy/appreciate/like someone's singing is an opinion. Listening to Fantasia Whateverhernameis, Clay "My Ears Are" Aiken and the rest of the American Idol overmodulated (imo) droids makes my skin crawl, but I'd never say they couldn't sing.

Chris

"That would be Me................It's a matter of Opinion that's all, didn't say I was right......"

Saying someone can't sing is not an opinion. Saying that you do not enjoy/appreciate/like someone's singing is an opinion. Listening to Fantasia Whateverhernameis, Clay "My Ears Are" Aiken and the rest of the American Idol overmodulated (imo) droids makes my skin crawl, but I'd never say they couldn't sing.

Chris

AGAIN..............THAT IS A MATTER OF OPINION..........You watch American Idol?

Funny you say that. Most of the indie label cd's that I buy lately sound much better than major label releases. I have no idea why that would be, just my observation.

This is my purely guess, so I don't know how much truth is actualy in this.

It seems indie labels cater to the niche market (especially, at least from my personal experience, many indie labels cater to a specific genre, i.e., Nightmare Records to the power/prog metal genre), they are not trying to "make it for the masses", and actually seem to care about the actual recording quality of the music, not "how it'll sound on FM radio" or the "cheap $30 wally*world boom-box". If somebody is seaking music from indie labels, you can pretty much bet they are digging pretty deep in thier favorite genre and are expecting some good quality music.

Unfortunatly, even with indie labels, there is the occasional dog. For example, I was very disappointed to find dynamic compression was applied to Stratovarious' most recent album. After listening to that excellent Vox Tempus album, and then putting in the new Stratovarious album, the difference in sound quality was really jarring. I just had a difficult time enjoying that Stratovarious album because of it, and these guys are one of my most favorite bands!

To be honost, I cannot remember the last time I bought anything from the "big-4" labels. Wait, take that back - I did pick up Queensryche Mindcrime II album just this past winter, which is on a Warner Music Group label (in this case, Rhino Records).

Chris

AGAIN..............THAT IS A MATTER OF OPINION..........You watch American Idol?

Yes, I sometimes watch Idol. My 12 yo son is a singer (by a very loose definition) and we watch it together. It can be very painful, but I love my son dearly and enjoy spending time with him doing something HE likes doing. Not to mention, a good friend of mine works on the show.

Lastly, whether or not someone can or cannot sing is NEVER a matter of opinion. At the same time, EVERYBODY is entitled to their opinion of what they interpret as enjoyable singing.

[singing] Best Regards,

Chris

Chris, it is not my intention to get off on the wrong foot with you. First things first, any time that a Father and Son can spend time together is a wonderful thing, and should be cherised. They grow up so quick, and then they're gone, Enjoy him now, you never know about tomorrow, your a lucky man.

On the other point, let me put it another way, I don't care for the way Willie Nelson sings. He is a great songwriter, I would never argue otherwise, and his skills as a performer are at least Legendary, but I do not care for his vocal skills, but I am in the minority on that point.

On the other point, let me put it another way, I don't care for the way Willie Nelson sings. He is a great songwriter, I would never argue otherwise, and his skills as a performer are at least Legendary, but I do not care for his vocal skills, but I am in the minority on that point.

Willie can sing, when he wants to. In his early years, and even today, in the studio he impresses. Great job with Ray Charles, 'It Was A Very Good Year", BTW. But as of late, in concerts and other public appearances, etc., he just throws the lyrics out there in monotones. I hate when artists resort to that. Rolling Stones is another example of that. If you can't produce any more, hang it up!

Rick