Bob Dylan says modern recording atrocious.

Daddy Dee

On the other point, let me put it another way, I don't care for the way Willie Nelson sings. He is a great songwriter, I would never argue otherwise, and his skills as a performer are at least Legendary, but I do not care for his vocal skills, but I am in the minority on that point.

Willie can sing, when he wants to. In his early years, and even today, in the studio he impresses. Great job with Ray Charles, 'It Was A Very Good Year", BTW. But as of late, in concerts and other public appearances, etc., he just throws the lyrics out there in monotones. I hate when artists resort to that. Rolling Stones is another example of that. If you can't produce any more, hang it up!

Rick

The Rolling Stones are the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World......That is my opinion, I have a right to have that opinion, fans world wide also hold that opinion, that's why they sell out all over the world............It does not mean that I am right......that does not mean you have to like them......Willie Nelson is a Legend....Fans world wide hold that opinion.....Many say he is a Great songwriter.....I also share that opinion......I don't care for his vocal delivery.........that is just my opinion......It doesn't mean I'm right......doesn't mean you have to like my opinion....but, you must admit, I have a right to that opinion.....I stated that I was in the minority on that opinion, what more do you want me to say......Keep my opinion to myself? not happening.............Opinions are like Noses, We all have one.....

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did somebody really say "...I respect Willie Nelson as a song writer and performer, but he can't sing either..."? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? When my son gets a little older (he's 12) and he's trying to get the attention of a particular young lady, I'm gonna tell him -

1. Take her out for a nice dinner. Maybe Northern Italian, or better yet, Sushi. Important side note - Split a salad of HER choice.

2. Go to a movie of HER choice.

3. Ask her back to your dorm for coffee.

4. Put on "Stardust" by Willie Nelson.

5. Make damn sure you have protection.

Many years ago a similar plan was advised to me by a very wise man...and it worked even though I'm fat, ugly and obnoxious.

I still can't believe it...Willie Nelson can't sing....c'mon, you're killing me....

Was out at the Super Mart getting a few supplies and browsing through the CD bargain bin and there is Stardust for $9.88. Score! Had this album on the wish list; was wanting to get it on vinyl, but I am not even close to having my new system in place, so I went for it. Thanks for the reminder! Been twenty-ish years since I heard this.

Bob Dylan,s voice is as bad as his tin ears......No matter how fine you dice & slice it . Its still crap. Willie Nelson voice? Crap refined. Ill take Willie any day over Dylan.

lol! So Maron...tell us how you really feel [;)][Y]

Bob Dylan,s voice is as bad as his tin ears......No matter how fine you dice & slice it . Its still crap. Willie Nelson voice? Crap refined. Ill take Willie any day over Dylan.

Differences are what makes the world go round and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people dont like Chez Panise or 74 Mondavi Reserve Cab and would prefer to eat hamburger helper and diet coke. It doesnt mean that they are wrong for not having the refined palate to appreciate fine wine and fine food it just means that they dont have a refined palate and therefore do not know any better.

Josh

Thanks Maron but I am afraid you would be dissapointed. I like Bobby and Neil for their music but have never believed they have good voices. If we can talk about the deceased I always thought Johnny Cash had a terrible voice but who else could sing the songs like these three artist do. I probably own most of everything Bob and Neil have done but they can be very range bound and off key sometimes. I bet they would not be impressed with my voice either.

You guys might not like Bob's singing but I know one thing for sure. I never want hear Tony Bennent or Pavarotti covering All Along The Watchtower or Tangled Up In Blue.

Why Not...............Great Songs........Great Singers...........Is It The Singer or The Song?.....

See that's your opinion......Why is it WRONG to have an opinion different than someone else's?

A truly excellent article by Louis Menand on Dylan is available online from the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/articles/060904crbo_books

Excerpt:

The only comparable pop songbook from the era is Lennon-McCartneyand there were two of them. Dylan is also, despite the silly things people said about his voice when he started out, one of pop musics greatest vocalists. His chief weakness is a tendency to shout, particularly in performance (and he is, let us say, an inconsistent performer); but, when he is in control of the instrument, no ones voice, with that kind of music, is more textured or more beautiful.

Ninety per cent of musicianship is phrasing, and the easiest way to appreciate Dylans genius for phrasing is to listen to him, on bootlegs or on the late albums of traditional songs, perform songs that he didnt writeFolsom Prison Blues, or People Get Ready, or Froggie Went A-Courtin. He gets it all. When my children were little, we used to have a cassette around the house of songs for kids by pop stars, on which Dylan did This Old Man (With a knick-knack paddywhack, give the dog a bone). That performance had the weight of the whole world in it. I listened to it a hundred times and never got tired of it. You can refute Hegel, Yeats said, but not the Song of Sixpence.

But Parrot, isn't that slightly biased write-up about Mr. Dylan................relax, may be a better way to put it would be..........I don't care for his vocal delivery of his music,I'm personally more intune with the Byrds presentation of his Legendary song writing skills.

No One can question the song writing skills of Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson , and Neil Young, Legends each one of them, their vocals abilities are an acquired taste, not appreciated by all listeners...................Fair enough?..........

Dylan has been professionally recorded, engineered, and produced since 1961, so it's not like he's talking about something he's unfamiliar with.

He's mentioned before that he liked the old days of old recording studios, where he went in, sang the song until he had a good take (which might be first stab at at, rarely more than four takes), and that was it: He had his record.