What a difference the components make...

SilverSport

I am listening to my soon to be retired (to my sister) McIntosh MA6200 with RB-5s...I am using my new (to me) Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1...it is like I am listening to these for the first time...No, I will not be moving the Tubes on and my sister is getting a really nice system at my expense (somewhat) but previous to this, I had listened to the same set up but with my Toshiba SD 3950 as the "CD" player...and I had (ve) no complaints of the little SD 3950 but what a difference a piece of equipment makes...I like this Cambridge so much I have even thought about looking for a second to keep with one with each of the Tube set ups I have...the longer I stay here on this Forum the more I learn what little I really know...and the lighter my wallet becomes...I am still enjoying myself however...

Thanks gang,

Bill

Bill,

Because of your review of the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1, I have one coming on Tuesday. I'll compare it to a Denon DVD-2200. Curious what differences I'll hear. Plan is to move it upstairs to replace a 9 year old DVD player, mating it with a McIntosh MAC-1700 and Cornwall I's.

Bill, having stated your feelings on new CD player, let me ask you this,Do you now have a different opinion of CD's overall sound quality with the new player? Do disc's that sounded bad before, now sound better? The sound of disc's are always attacked as being bad, terrible, whatever, I believe part of it is poor cd players, and DVD/CD played on same player, a seperate CD player should be used...........Just my opinion......

okay here's the deal so far...I have been listening to the Cambridge with the EICO HF-81 (14wpc) and my Klipsch Quartets...EXCELLENT sound!

I initially started this with the McIntosh MA6200 and RB-5s so...it sounds better than those two with the Toshiba...really it is several levels above the Toshy...more bass, clearer etc...the Toshy is not bad but I like the Cambridge MUCH more...I will still be moving the McIntosh and RB-5s off (sorry, sweet as those RB-5s are and I know this is Heresy (sorry, couldn't help it) I am a Heritage guy and Heresys, Quartets and Klipschorns sound so sweet to my ears...the Quartets never cease to amaze me...such bass...

I am just starting to listen to more CDs to compare to listening with the DVD pressed into CD duty (toshiba 3950 wunderbargain) so I will give that a better listen...back to listening to the Quart/EICO/Cambridge right now...I really do prefer Tubes for my 2 channel...saddens me to no end on the McIntosh stuff since I carried a torch for it for so long...but...

I REALLY need to give the Cambridge a spin with the VRDs, BluBerry and Klipschorns...perhaps this weekend...busy week and I have a busy weekend but I will post back on the Forum about this...thanks for the thoughts on an experiment OldBuckster...

Bill

I have read that some say the v2 has answered all the questions about reliability...obviously I have only had mine a week...it sounds fantastic and I do have a door open and close button issue on the unit itself but the seller swears it worked when he sent it and perhaps it was jostled by the USPS...who knows, wish the seller had been more helpful but...other than that, it is outstanding!

Bill

CD's can sound very good, they can also sound very bad -- just like records. I have some music that sounds nothing short of incredible. I have some CD's that sound so bad I won't even play them. A nice unit just makes the good recordings sound all that much better, and in my opinion -- the bad stuff worse.

I've been slowly replacing my components with better built and better reputation equipment and I've experienced the same things you have. My new receiver makes my Cambridge Audio CD player sound that much better.

Right now my weakest link is the Magnavox DVD player that I won at a work party a few years ago. My Sony DVD player had just bit the dust so I was glad just to get something to play DVDs on. I have quite a few concert DVDs and the sound is much poorer compared to anything played on my CD player. I can't wait to get something decent in the way of a DVD player and hear what I've been missing.

try theJolida JD 100 ..

for a real eye...er..ear opener

It is about 22 months since Shape Shifter brought his Jolida by my

house. I was better than a Sony ES 333 and my MSB Link II DAC before I

bought the upsampler. Not sure how it would be against the upsampling.

What Dean said is quite true. I should probaby get rid of 30-40 CDs

that sound bad because the origonal recording or digital mastering was

so poor. They are just taking up space.

A bad LP sounds much better than a bad CD.