WAY OT - Any Bicyclists here?

Clarence

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen those, never tried one. I live at the bottom of a giant hill, need my granny gears just to get up the thing. Does seem that type of bike would be a killer leg workout...

Paul

Yeah, they're definitely not "comfort" bikes but they are fun (like a pure sports car). There seems to be quite an emerging cult around them.

khorns

i used to ride trails heavy. I biked 8 miles to school in college.

funny story right after I got my bike, I rode it to school, and was all proud of it. Everybody hung out in the "quad" inbetween classes, a small are with buildings around it. About 2-300 people standing around.

I unlock the trek, and hop on and try to get my feet into the stirrups, and just then my front tire slipped off the concrete and into the grass. YARDSALE!

everybody turned and started clapping and whistleing. I jumped up off the ground and yelled "ok folks, there's nothing more to see here" and wheeled my bike out of the quad. Never rode it to school again!

here is the link to my auction, feel free to check it out! Good topic here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150026958948&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Congrats on the new toy! I still have my old (1975) Schwinn LeTour, but have gotten so "old" that the thin tires won't keep me upright, so I've changed over a few years ago to a Gary Fisher Utopia they called it a City/Path bike back then, guess they really meant hybrid, huh? Lucky to have lots of paved off road paths, but every now and again have to cross over the grass, mud or gravel, so I get to use both the "City and Path" options.

Enjoy yours when it arrives!

post-17808-13819308027916_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they're definitely not "comfort" bikes but they are fun (like a pure sports car). There seems to be quite an emerging cult around them.

The fixies are typically bought by hipsters. They'll use them for three runs then will leave them hanged on the wall (on the mandatory hipster wall bike hanger) after realising these have a really limited range of applications.

The only ones using these more than one month are "flat terrain" cyclists

This being said, the hipster in me finds the Bianchi really beautiful. The hills around me tells me to forget about this kind of bike.

Dflip,

Sweet bike! How do you like the spoke configuration? My sales guy told me I was to big and they would get out of round... I'm 6'6'' and 231lbs.. was he right?

I am excited, that is the pic of my bike. the pic I had on the first page dissapeared??? I emailed our DEN MOTHER to find out why it was taken down.. [:'(]

Fifteen years ago, after having cycled seriously for about two years, I was training for the local MS150; I was taking pain medication for a tooth that ultimately required the dreaded root canal treatment, and was amazed at how far and long into a usually-more-grueling 45-mile ride I got without stopping, or even feeling any fatigue.

A few days later, after I had stopped taking the pain medicine, I started to feel an "achiness" in my left knee that turned into popping every time I bent my knee.

It was diagnosed as chondromalacia, or a roughening of the cartilege under the kneecap, caused (then exacerbated) by repetitive stress. I stayed off the bike for a week or two (an eternity for a junkee), then gradually and tentatively started up again.

It was no good; every time since then that I have stopped, then tried to start back up, the popping and aching returns; not only with bicycling, but also with climbing, running, etc.

Since my work does not depend on my riding, climbing or running, I have not sought any sports-medicine or surgical solution to this, but I still miss the long rides and the pure endorphine-fueled joy of riding a bike for miles; I could ride more leisurely, but living around so many hills is too stressful to successfully ward off the return of the problem.

My bike has hung on a hooks in my garage for about a year now, with tires that need to be replaced, and I have settled on long walks to get a little of the fix of being out and about... I envy those of you who can cycle without the prospect of pain and unease at the end of the day...

I'm not really into road bikes but since we are on the topic of bikes. I'm putting the order in for a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert in about 2 weeks, I'm stoked. I haven't had a bike upgrade in about 8 years, I ride a Trek hard tail now.

Retails for $3400, the shop will sell it to me for $3200.

Specs.

http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p1602

Some nice pictures. (My blog)

http://mtnbikingaddict.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-07-stumpy-pictures-courtesy-of.html

I'm not really into road bikes but since we are on the topic of bikes. I'm putting the order in for a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert in about 2 weeks, I'm stoked. I haven't had a bike upgrade in about 8 years, I ride a Trek hard tail now.

Specs.

http://mtnbikingaddict.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-07-stumpy-pictures-courtesy-of.html

WOW sweet bike! Are those DISC brakes? That thing is more expensive than alot of peoples CARS!

Have phun!

Unfortunately, my digital camera died, so I can't post pictures.

My road bike started with a custom Mikkelsen frame (combo of Columbus SL and SP tubing with fillet brazed lugs) which I built out with a full Dura-Ace drive train & a combination of Cinelli, Campy and Time for the ancilary stuff with a Selle San Marcos Rolls for my butt. Gorgeous in Seafoam blue Imron. (did I mention that I built this bike in '87?)

Off roader is a Bianchi Peregrine in Celeste. Also with Shimano drive train & updated with Rock Shox Judy XC front end & Avid Arch Rival brakes, Time pedals and Rolls saddle (not that any of this stuff is up-to-date anymore).

James

Specs.

WOW sweet bike! Are those DISC brakes? That thing is more expensive than alot of peoples CARS!

Have phun!

Yeah, Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic, very similar to what you'd find on a motorcycle, just scaled down obviously.

You can see the hydraulic fluid reservoirs on the levers

2Bars1.jpg

2BrakeBrain1.jpg

2BrakeFront.jpg

I haven't run into any problems yet, although I do inflate the tires a bit, 120 in the front and 130 in the rear to deal with extra weight, 6 foot and 240 lbs, but it seems to work at the moment. If it doesn't down the road, I may have to look at a different set of wheels. I haven't taken it out as many times this year as I should, last year I regularly went for 25 mile rides. I guess that is one of the reasons the weight is staying on. [;)]