WAY OT - Any Bicyclists here?

Clarence

I will stick to running, you don't have to be French to loose feeling in your groin.

A health assessment study was conducted in response to complaints of groin numbness in a bicycling police unit. Seventeen male cyclists were compared with 5 nonbiking men. The cyclists rode an average of 5.4 hours per day, and 91% indicated they experienced groin numbness on occasion. Each man wore the RigiScan Plus Rigidity Assessment System for one normal sleep session. Pressure measurements were also taken between the cyclist and the bicycle saddle. The percentage of sleep sessions that recorded an erectile event was significantly lower in the cyclists than it was in noncyclists (cyclists 27.1%; noncyclists 42.8%; P =.008). This duration percentage is negatively correlated with average hours a day that cyclists rode their bikes (r = -.41; P =.05), the number of days a week they rode (r = -.55; P =.009), and the average pressure exerted on the nose of the bike saddle (r = -.39; P =.08). The other measures of erectile quality (tumescence activity units [TAUs] and rigidity activity units [RAUs] of both the base and tip of the penis) were lower in the cyclists, but did not reach statistical significance. The number of hours cyclists rode during the day of RigiScan Plus assessment was negatively correlated with penis tip RAU (r = -.41; P =.04), and tip TAU (r = -.45; P =.04). These data suggest that prolonged bicycle riding may have negative effects on nocturnal erectile function and indicate a need for innovative bicycle saddle designs.

© INIST-CNRS

2, allée du parc de Brabois
CS 10310
F-54519
Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy Cedex
FRANCE

Standard :
+33 (0)3 83 50 46 00
Télécopie :
+33 (0)3 83 50 46 50

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will stick to running, you don't have to be French to loose feeling in your groin.

A health assessment study was conducted in response to complaints of groin numbness in a bicycling police unit. Seventeen male cyclists were compared with 5 nonbiking men. The cyclists rode an average of 5.4 hours per day, and 91% indicated they experienced groin numbness on occasion. Each man wore the RigiScan Plus Rigidity Assessment System for one normal sleep session. Pressure measurements were also taken between the cyclist and the bicycle saddle. The percentage of sleep sessions that recorded an erectile event was significantly lower in the cyclists than it was in noncyclists (cyclists 27.1%; noncyclists 42.8%; P =.008). This duration percentage is negatively correlated with average hours a day that cyclists rode their bikes (r = -.41; P =.05), the number of days a week they rode (r = -.55; P =.009), and the average pressure exerted on the nose of the bike saddle (r = -.39; P =.08). The other measures of erectile quality (tumescence activity units [TAUs] and rigidity activity units [RAUs] of both the base and tip of the penis) were lower in the cyclists, but did not reach statistical significance. The number of hours cyclists rode during the day of RigiScan Plus assessment was negatively correlated with penis tip RAU (r = -.41; P =.04), and tip TAU (r = -.45; P =.04). These data suggest that prolonged bicycle riding may have negative effects on nocturnal erectile function and indicate a need for innovative bicycle saddle designs.

© INIST-CNRS

2, allée du parc de Brabois

CS 10310

F-54519

Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy Cedex

FRANCE

Standard :

+33 (0)3 83 50 46 00

Télécopie :

+33 (0)3 83 50 46 50

LMAO!!!

As with a lot of things in life, please ask yourself this question, do the benefits outweigh the risk? [;)]

Being married and at my age 27.1% might be a high number[:o] THX JB

Synth, you live in my hometown the best place to be a biker 4 sure. Are they still having the annual mid night cruizes?

PM, you do much riding around the Colony there?

Nice Bike Piranha[:D]

Pete, you have some good suggestions and you can get into a real nice bike for a grand, look for a super frameset that you can upgrade parts on just in case the same thing happens in that hobby that happens in this one[:#]

Nice Bike Piranha[:D]

Thanks, I am very happy with it.

Pete, you have some good suggestions and you can get into a real nice bike for a grand, look for a super frameset that you can upgrade parts on just in case the same thing happens in that hobby that happens in this one[:#]

A new bike does depreciate rapidly, like a lot of other things. [:(]

Hi Kaiser! I'm 78704 all the way! I live a few hundred yards from the rear entrance to Barton Springs. By Colony are you referring to the bats? If so for a few years I was timing my almost nightly ride to hit Town Lake/Congress Bridge right at sundown for the bats. It's probably been summer since I did that though. I do the triathlon thing and can't wait for a few more months to get back in the swing of things. We mostly just ride South Mopac Loop, Southwest Parkway, the Veloway and one of my favorite rides...the hilly road connecting Bastrop State Park to Buescher Park. That's a fun 25 miles.

Yo P, your are right about fast depree on bikes but I have re-built my Redline PL-24 4 times now and I don't think I'll ever let that baby go! She made 4 of 5 Shiner runs in three different colors:-)

Synth, I moved away from home in 1993 but I rode with the local cruizer/single speed crown and ChainReaction bikes used to put a 17 mile midnight run on anually that started down by the civic center and was great because bikes of all genre would show up and make the rides. Enjoy as Austin is one of the best for biking[:D]

• 2 months later...

Today I just discovered a local store has a Redline on display and the frame looks fantastic. Haven't been a bike rider for 30 years or so but the neighborhood we live in now seems to be bike friendly with a few interconnecting side streets. The flat paint colors I find very nice and the disc brakes on some, wow. Might like something with a heavy frame and smooth tires for street use and for the ditch or curbs that get in the way.

My wife now rides a Trek 2500, and uses her old patent-pending Cannondale frame/Dura-Ace group in winter on our trainer. Her mountain bike is my old hard-tail Diamond back (special ordered slightly shorter frame).

My road bike is also a Cannondale/Dura-Ace/Campi group, and the red Trek Mountain bike is what I was on when I crashed on fractured my back in two places, now held together by a bone graft and instrumentation.

A year later, we did some pretty heavy off-road riding a month ago, and found that it's probably time, at least for me, to invest in something with both front and rear suspension. ouch. I still can't quite bend forward enough to ride on the drops of the Cannondale, but that's getting better and better.