WAY OT - Any Bicyclists here?

Clarence

My bottom three discs are fused and I never thought about that. Leaning over to use the drops on a bicycle would require a person to bend way over. The thought of some suspension sounds pretty interesting although I've never ridden one with that kind of setup. The bike shop down the street has 4 or 5 full suspension bikes they will loan out for 24 hours to get a feel for them at no cost. Maybe I should give one a spin to see what this "full suspension" is all about. They sure look kind of goofy, lol.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bottom three discs are fused and I never
thought about that. Leaning over to use the drops on a bicycle would
require a person to bend way over. The thought of some suspension
sounds pretty interesting although I've never ridden one with that kind
of setup. The bike shop down the street has 4 or 5 full suspension
bikes they will loan out for 24 hours to get a feel for them at no
cost. Maybe I should give one a spin to see what this "full suspension"
is all about. They sure look kind of goofy, lol.

Have you tried a recumbent? Even with full suspension, there's still lots of spinal compression going on.

fast_recumbent_7678.JPG

Of course, there's still the goofy-looking part!

I got the Electra Townies 2 years ago because I was going for nightly jaunts and might commute along the sidewalks to work. Comfort and safety was the primary consideration.

Since something like 60% of bicycle accidents happened at night and a reflective vest improves viability 75%, I got a fluorescent orange vest too. The Cannondale looks nice, but I did not see them at my local shop. I do not need a lot of gear range, although I do have a 34 tooth rear sprocket. I do not need it though, even on overpass bridges, which is about as steep as it gets in mostly flat <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Tampa. Girlfriend, library, BK and Blockbuster are all about 3 miles away. Got removable front basket and OnGuard lock and cable with $1250 of insurance I am an old man now!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Love the bike. So easy to hop on for a ride, Quite comfortable, very adjustable. Local bike shop ordered it without deposit and fitted me, but I may ease the handle bars back a bit. No pain after riding it 3 times in 3 days.

I have a red Giant Suede now. The Townie was stolen. The top tube on a comfort style bicycle (which seems to be gaining popularity amongst other styles of bikes) angles downward. Although they could be unisex bicycles, it seems like even the female comfort cycles have to a lower top tube (silly).

I do not find any back pain at all with my Giant Suede. One year later, I still love riding it. It doesnt go fast, but it easily slips up and down curbs, off into the grass and through dirt with confidence.

Even though I had a properly fitted Ironman, I found my palms, neck, lower back and knees were stressed on the French style derailleur cycles.

The Suede has a whole slew of features I like: puncture sealing tires, front shocks, handlebar shifters, 7-speeds with a wide 34-tooth mountain (bridges here in south Florida) gear, padded seat, relatively light, wide, but smooth tires for street and off-road and adjustable handlebars.

I strongly recommend this style of bicycle to every one!

Dang Piranha, that was a killer deal on a new aluminum model too!! If my wife catches me bringing any more boy toys home before I take her on a cruise I'm toast[:o]

Speed, that Redline 26" gold frameset is a looker for sure and I don't have to tell you they last[;)]

You could take that bike and put some nice 2.25 X 26 road burners on it and scare a few ramhead riders (you know, the Lance Armstrong wannabees[:o])!

Klipsched, is BFS pepper spray like Postmen use? May not be a bad idea in our part of the city.

Colin, Who sells the Giant Suede I'd like to see it, sounds like one that makes a guy sit up straight.

Kaiser, That's a pretty good idea with the smooth high pressure road tires (road burners). The ability to change the bikes accessories make them versatile. I havent asked anyone but I imagine the gearing (sprocket) either front or rear can also be changed.

Klipsched, is BFS pepper spray like Postmen use?

[:D] Kinda - sorta ............was being sarcastic and meant Big F'n Stick, but pepper spray is probably more humane for sure! Actually, that is what my co-workers use! We all live in a rural community, so pet leash laws aren't properly enforced, and I haven't much patience for that crap. Luckily, unless on a steep upgrade, I can out-pedal them on this trek! Makes for a nice cardiovascular workout and a good way to handle anger managment(lol)