Needle Cleaning?

Clarence

I can say I both googled this and searched the forum. My needle has been collecting dust, hair, and other debris. What is the best way to cleaning off this debris without spending money? I have a disc doctor kit coming, but i dont think that has anything to do with cleaning the needle. I imagine that its not smart to touch the needle, am I wrong?

Simple and inexspensive is the name of the game. Help!

on another Forum they recommend with the power off of course...lowering and raising the needle onto a fresh and clean Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...can get a couple of them for a couple bux...last a LONG time...I tried it once and noticed no difference but perhaps my needle was clean...you just lower it onto a small piece of the Magic Eraser...we'll see who and what is chimed in here next.

Bill

Clarence, try this product. Make sure you get the one that is "ALL WHITE". They make one that has a blue side and you don't want that one. Cut off a small peice (3/4"x 1"x 1/2") W x W X H, and stick a toothpick or small drink sword into it. Let your stylus lower into it and then lift it back up. Don't try to move the MCME at all or you might damage your stylus. Just up and down. It works great. If you need this verified as safe and useful, do a search on the Vinyl Asylum and on the Analog Agon pages. I have been using it for over a year and am very happy with the results. A $2 supply will last you a lifetime.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml

I use a tiny brush made for cleaning the stylus. I spray it with the solution I use to clean my records and give the stylus 100 stokes per record side (really! Just takes a few seconds). About once a month I break out my 1930's microscope and examine all my styili under 250x magnification. Carefull brushing with fluid always does the trick.

Some of my stylus collection came from ebay, and they were all crudded up with crap. Don't all people clean their stylus for each and every play? I do. And I clean every record before each play. After 30+ years your records get damn clean using this technique!

Using the microscope and a cleaning brush, I have saved a couple of styli that originally looked terrible, but with patience and effort, I have a nice clean collection.

In a few cases I have had to resort to using a 'Q-tip' saturated in fluid to get some gunk off of the parts of the stylus that don't get cleaned by the brush - this is very carefull work and you do need a microscope to check the results.

Radio Shack has a little hand held scope that is about 100x that they sell for just a few bucks. Even a simple magnifying glass can tell you a lot about the state of your stylus.

I use the Orbitrax system - its a handle that fits on the spindle and holds a cartridge underneath with a pad. Comes with two pads, one for wet, one for dry. I used to use a pair of Disc Washer brushes to do the same thing, but the Orbitrax is easier and more "accurate" because of the way the thing fits on the spindle... the most likely mistake is to go too fast - to allow the fibers to do their best with the high frequencies you have to go nice and slow. I start off easy, halfway through I press firmly, then finish gently - and slow all the time.. I like this system. 10 revolutions wet, about 5 dry does the trick for me. Total time per side is about one minute.

I had an Orbitrac. It worked OK I guess. Then I bought a Nitty Gritty and discovered what SUCTION can do.. HOO BOY! That was about 12 years ago.

But then you only play records that you bought BRAND NEW, right? In your case, since you're so methodical and careful, you probably don't need anything more than what you have.

98% of my records were used when I bought them and most had been treated with less than the care I give them and needed a cleaning that the Orbitrac couldn't handle.

You are correct, Allan; virtually all my records are those I bought new. I've wondered about the Nitty Gritty - all seem to think it is the bees' knees. It's really that good, huh? Maybe I should look for one...

Probably not needed if all you have are new records and it doesn't sound like you let those get very dirty. Nothing better for used, dirty vinyl than these vaccum suction cleaners though. Once cleaned on my Nitty Gritty, I rarely have to go back and Nitty Gritty them again. Just a nice dry brush before playing and store them in one of those rice paper type sleeves.

Back to needle (pullease, we snobs call it stylus) cleaning. I use the little brush that came with my cartridge before every play. I also use a product call Last Stylus Cleaner every now and then. Just a little liquid in a bottle with brush. One bottle will last for years.

I have a Discwasher SC-1 that came with my kit. It contains a stylus cleaner brush, small magnifying inspection mirror, and bottle of fluid.

ALWAYS brush in back to front motion, never side to side. This gets the grit off and reduces chance of cantilever damage.

M

Not exactly the high end way to do things - but I just blow on the thing to shift most of the debris - if a hair is stuck a magnifying glass, a pair of tweezers and a steady hand are all that is required IMHO....

Does really help with the toy count though.

I use the same carbon fiber brush on both the LP and the

stylus. The LPs get cleaned on the Spin Clean then carbon brushed before play

when first bought. Post cleaned LPs get the carbon brush only before and after

play. The stylus gets cleaned BACK TO FRONT with the carbon fiber brush before

each play. I am a firm believer that if you clean your stylus before each play

and thus keep it clean, you won't get the gunk on it in the first place, thus

reducing the need for drastic cleaning later.

Probably not needed if all you have are new records and it doesn't sound like you let those get very dirty. Nothing better for used, dirty vinyl than these vaccum suction cleaners though. Once cleaned on my Nitty Gritty, I rarely have to go back and Nitty Gritty them again. Just a nice dry brush before playing and store them in one of those rice paper type sleeves.

Back to needle (pullease, we snobs call it stylus) cleaning. I use the little brush that came with my cartridge before every play. I also use a product call Last Stylus Cleaner every now and then. Just a little liquid in a bottle with brush. One bottle will last for years.

Yep, same here. Nitty Gritty Mini Pro-2 to clean and vacuum both sides at the same time. I only clean once and then insert in a rice paper sleeve. That's my note to myself that it has been cleaned via the machine. I then use a dry bruch everytime I play a side.

As for the stylus I use the Disc Doctor stylus cleaner with their brush. I apply it before every side back to front. I then use the dry brush provided with my cartridge and give it a couple of swipes with that.

Mike

Scott, Do you put the liquid directly on the stylus (with the cap brush), or do you wet the cleaning brush?

Fini,

Depends on my mood I guess. I'd have to say I've done it both ways. If I'm putting it directly on the stylus with the cap brush, I try to be pretty neat and not slop a wet brush all over the cantilever.