Classic Cornwalls

KOZ

• Moderators

You did say just , New relationship......For Gods sake get this straight now in case she ends up being your wife.

Not just because of the Cornwalls. Don't you have any say ?

My sister was standing here and said " get rid of the girlfriend and redecorate without her , that's ridiculous ".

Just one, or two opinions .

Timmikid- I've never had the backs off the CWs - and I'm not an electronics hobyist (although I am an electrical engineer). How difficult is it to upgrade the networks...and is it practical for me to attempt? How much $$. Thanks for the great advice.

• Like 1

CB- That is a great article - I was just at a HiFi design studio in Seattle this weekend, checking out monitors, electronics, even speakers (but they no longer carry Klipsch). But they do carry "some" Bose (probably for impulse buys). Anyway, after spending 2 hours talking with a salesman, and looking at some very nice stuff...I asked "so what's the deal w/ Bose. How do their systems compare with premium components?" He stated pretty much what was in your posted article. He said he could put together asystem for the same amount of money, but that would have superior performance. He said the Bose systems are for people who "need simplicity" and/or do not want to see the speakers.

Thanks for the great links!!

• Like 1

Timmikid- I've never had the backs off the CWs - and I'm not an electronics hobyist (although I am an electrical engineer). How difficult is it to upgrade the networks...and is it practical for me to attempt? How much $$. Thanks for the great advice.

Hi. You could use the search engine and have a lot to read. You could also contact DeanG directly, although I think he stopped making those networks. BEC (Bob Crites) is the other network tech aboard here. I don't know exactly how much $$ if you do the job yourself. It is mostly replacing capacitors. Ask Bob, he has nice caps too. Tim.

KOZ,

First, glad you're not parting with your classic heirlooms. I do hope as well that your GF comes to recognize their importance to you and respects them for the joy they give you.

Our current room, being remodeled, is 29L x 17D x 9H. It's a good size room that is open to an "open" kitchen. Basically, the whole room will be the family living area. The Klipschorns are wonderful because they take up very little room once in corners, and they are very, very kid-safe. There is no way in heck that a kid's going to pull one over on himself [;)]

In my last house we moved from last summer, we had Cornwalls for mains with a Belle in between. If you look at my signature line below, copy the link into your browswer and click on Home Theater (I think). You'll see the setup, though. Trust me when I say that Cornwalls for front mains are KILLER for music and movies. A single Cornwall makes a great, seamless center. I had a pair of Heresies for rears which were great as well.

Total speaker cost was about $1800 for a world class system. Mix in a used Denon or Sunfire AV Receiver for about $700, and you're good to launch.

This old Heritage line fills a room with sound the way I've never heard another modern system do --or even come close.

Welcome to the forum, again ...

Chris

Chris,

Nice pics!! I like the way you built the Cornwalls into the corners.

My room is a little smaller (12 x 20) and also opening into the kitchen. I have dilema, in that I need to put the monitor above a fireplace (that is the only available wall). So, all I can use for the center speaker is a wall mounted unit. Do you think the Cornwalls overpower a small center speaker?

Again- great job on the HT.

KOZ

• Like 1

KOZ,

Every room has its challenges ... so you really have to let the room dictate the layout unless you're in a situation like we were where remodeling was going to be done (dead kitchen).

The Cornwalls can be dialed back during the AV receiver setup phase. You just need a good timbre match with the Cornwalls. A few come to mind ... but a KLF-C7 or an Academy might fit your physical space. They definitely have the juice to make a good center with the CW's.

Another option which I've used personally is a KT-LCR. It was a Klipsch THX rated speaker put out about 5 years ago. They were supposed to be used as a front array (Left center right). I found a single one for sale and loved it. I kept it right until a single Belle needing some TLC walked into my life [;)]

Important thing is to focus on quality and a long-term plan. Cornwalls are an excellent base for your 2-ch or HT. The center channel is the next most important selection due to the % of content coming through that channel during movies. After that, pick a really good sub. Klipsch is now my number one choice for subs. They seem to have figured out their place in the quality/value curve and are doing it right. One of those RT-12D's looks killer.

Finally, a pair of Heresies for rears ... keep your eyes open on Ebay or Audigon for a pair NEAR YOU. With all Heritage speakers, do let anybody ship them. Go pick them up. It will save you tons of money in shipping and a lot of heartache. Short of original packaging which few people keep around for years, there are few good options short of crating.

Enjoy the music ...

Chris

KOZ--

I have 5 Cornwall Series 1 in my home theatre setup.

I went with a Cornwall as a center channel speaker for a seamless wall of sound.

I could not be happier! The dynamics, the timbre, the impact of those front three is an experience!

Being a single older guy, I make my own decisions on the room layout, and I have a huge L shaped family room in the lower level on my single family home, so this setup is ideal!

The Academy is a timbre match to the Cornwalls, and you will find these time-to-time on Ebay. I found a Cornwall for the same money and went that route (no regrets).

Good choice hanging onto the Corns!

All the best,

Stew

Well, you guys were right.........I've said good bye to the girlfriend....Now on to the serious business of figuring out my HT.

I'd like to stay with the Cornwalls for the front L&R and add some quality center and surround speakers. How do the new reference series Klipsch compare with the CWs? Are they compatible?

Just for the record- I'm an old fart (52) who is just getting back into audio. After raising the kids...it's my time. But, I'm pretty rusty on today's technology (but hey, the journey is at least half the fun, right?). So here's my question: I know you are all believers in Klipsch - but are today's Klipsch still the "quality" speakers they once were? Seriously. Or are they just a good value?

Something I saw this weekend is bugging me: I was at Best Buy and saw several Klipsch speakers for HT systems. I believe they were the "Synergy" series. Anyway- the construction did not look like high quality stuff- and it bothered me enough that I walked out w/o even listening to them. They weren't even grouped with the higher-end products. I was shocked to see Klipsch at Best Buy. When I bought my CWs in 1980- I had to travel out of town to a small, high-end, HiFi store to get them. Have they become a product for the masses????

Don't get me wrong-- I want to believe.....I just need to understand.

KOZ

• Like 1

to my ear, they are an entirely different sound. I have some Refs in my home, RB5II's in the basement setup.

I certainly would not mix the two. I had a RC7 between my CW's when I came here. It took a while, but the guys convinced me that the timbre difference was too much to live with, although they were all good speakers.

I agree with some of the above posts. What you are looking for is a center CW or Academy or possibly KLF-C7 (that's what I'm using right now). More CW's or Heresies for rear duty, and a sub. It will make an awesome HT setup. I currently have 7 CW boxes and 2 Heresies that I'm going to tweak xovers and reveneer for a massive completely Heritage setup.

Relationships aren't easy at our age, are they?

Michael