Anyone running Bryston in their HT?

damonrpayne

I was looking around for amps so I can move up to 7.1 eventually (big room) and of course Klipsch no longer makes the wonderful Aragon 3002 that would have been my first choice.

I've heard Bryston in the showroom of a local shop many times with B&W 802s and it sure sounds great. I have not auditioned Bryston amps with Klipsch. One spec (and customer reviews seem to support this) of the Bryston gear that interests me is the insane signal to noise spec. I really like silent parts of music or movies to be silent with as little speaker noise etc. as possible.

Of course, these amps are wicked expensive new. Anyone running them with Klipsch?

It is an absolutely FABULOUS combination! I sell them both and the best sounding systems I've done have been Bryston/Klipsch (either big Ref or THX Ultra 2). The newest SST series amps are a near perfect match tonally to the Ultra 2 and the new Ref IV product. Yes, Bryston isn't cheap...but I had to bet the farm on what amp would still be working in 30 years...it would be on my short list. Also, they very quietly have been one of only 3 companies to actually KEEP their promise of a truly upgradable preamp (Meridian and Theta being the other two)...and theirs costs less than half of the competition and quite frankly equals or betters the others (hint...I dropped Theta after getting Bryston in as a "cheaper" alternative).

I have to agree with Corey, Bryston products are the best built I have come across and they will get the most out of your Klipsch speakers. I upgraded from the Acurus A250 & 200x3 to Bryston 3B SST & 9B SST and I could not believe the difference in sound quality in every aspect. The Bryston's produced better bass, more air and detail to the highs and made my RF-7's discover their mid-range.

My advice is run don't walk and get some Bryston amps and the SP2 pre-amp. I know that Bryston stuff is expensive but any other manufacture in this category is also very expensive.

George

Stick with the SST series and they'll go VERY well with big Heritage. The 6BSST is a beast of an amp, but is overkill on Heritage. You CAN order a non fully loaded 9BSST which will drive the HECK out of any of nearly all the Klipsch speakers except maybe RF-7's, RF-83's and Ultra 2's in a really big space. I've had a few clients use the Powerpac amps with big Heritage with great results. Definitely nice to have the amp right at the speaker.

I bought 7B ST's after reading that Stereophile actually preferred the ST's over the SST's. This may not be absolute, but I was not going to spend $4,000 extra to find out.

The fan question - do not run the fan in reverse! The passage is "fluted" and will not function properly, not to mention that you will be going from pulling to pushing.