Betty's A-Frame--a great place to listen to GREAT music!!!!

Allan Songer

I thought I'd clue all you SoCal guys in to one of THE nicest places to listen to GREAT jazz in Los Angeles. Betty's A-Frame gets no hype at all, but every event I've attended has been packed with some of the most appreciative and knowledgeable jazz fans anywhere.

The first time I went to Betty's A-Frame was about 4 years ago to hear the late, GREAT Teddy Edwards. This was one of the last Teddy Edwards gigs I was able to make before he passed away and he played BEAUTIFULLY.

Teddy Edwards and Art Hillery

TEDDY AT THE A-FRAME

Betty holds the events on Sunday afternoons from 2 till 5 and the musicians play two long sets. Betty serves a buffet lunch with beer and wine and charges $30 for everything. I have been told that the musicians get most of the $30 and Betty just covers expenses for the food and drink.

The next show I will go to is on October 15 when Danny Grissett plays there with what is TRULY an all-star quintet with Herman Riley on tenor, Anthony Wilson on guitar, Edwin Livingston on bass and Roy McCurdy on drums. Danny's debut album on Criss Cross is AMAZING and I think it's the best jazz release of the year. Danny's from L.A. but has been working in New York the last 3 years.

dg4.jpg

DANNY GRISSETT

If you want to attend this event, send Betty an email and make reservations!!

http://www.aframejazz.com/

Betty Hoover

Betty Hoover

Hey Allan,

An old touring buddy of mine runs a club in San Diego, if you ever get the chance to go. All kinds of music, from high school bands to jazz players, blues, R&R. Their schedule can be found here:

Dizzy's

http://www.dizzyssandiego.com/

I haven't seen Chuck for probably 30 years, but we stay in touch.

Bruce

Allan,

We're (me. my wife and my 2 teenage daughters) probably will be in LA the next weekend (10/22-10/24), doin' the Disney thing. I might be up to getting away from the mouse for a bit. What's up in LA that weekend? Lots, I'm sure. Things like music, art, etc. would be up my alley. My participation in the trip depends upon how my Achilles Tendenitis and knee problems are doing. Possibly, I will get over to the tar pits for a theraputic soak.

Sounds like fun! I checked the photos on their website. Mostly old guys...like me! We'll be down there with a group of some as of yet undetermined size, and there may be a few others that might be into going to Charlie O's, if that's OK. Not sure, though.

One venue I'd considered is the LA Opera, if you can believe it. My brother went to school with the Chorus Master, William Vendice, so I thought maybe we could get a behind-the-scenes look at an opera production. Nobody in my family is into it, though. Maybe if Max could make his way out here to sunny CA...You an opera buff, Al?

• 3 weeks later...

Betty just announced that she needs the money for the this A-Frame gig. If anyone here wants to go (and anyone in the L.A. area should make EVERY opportunity to make this gig!), make sure to send Betty an email and get your check out right away. It might be the best $30 you've spent all year!!

Danny Grissett is truly an up and coming STAR in the jazz world. His debut on Criss Cross gets my vote for jazz release of the year so far!

1281fixed.jpg

"...exquisite...Promise is easily one of the best jazz debuts of 2006, and should rank high on any self-respecting list of the great jazz releases of the year."
~ All Music Guide
(read full article...)

"...one of the best maiden voyages that I have heard in years."
~ All About Jazz
(read full article...)

"Grissett's Promise, fulfills its title affirmatively. It's an album that can be returned to again and again, rewarding the listener with new layers of enjoyment."
~ Hot House Magazine
(read full article...)

"...absolutely breath taking...what you have is a young man destined for great things."
~ Jazz Radio 247
(read full article...)

Gregg,

If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to go to Charlie O's with Allan. That was a VERY memorable night for me (I assume Boomac and Pirhana would agree).

Allan - I heard a cut off of Von's new album on Sirius yesterday. I can't remember the name of the song but I think it was the first cut on his album you sent be a while back. Sounded great!

Wish I could join you guys this weekend or be with you for the show at Betty's. Anyone in the area should jump on the opportunity. We just don't have this kind of stuff in the DC area very often.[:(]

Gregg,

If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to go to Charlie O's with Allan. That was a VERY memorable night for me (I assume Boomac and Pirhana would agree).

I feel so lucky that I have the opportunity to hear so much GREAT live music here. And Charlie O's is a VERY special place--I'm there about 20 times a year and wish I could go more often. Charlie has made a couple of improvements since you guys were here--he bought a NEW Yamaha grand piano and he moved the ice machine from the bar into the kitchen so you don't hear the ice drop right in the middle of one of John Heard's killer bass solos!

If anyone else is up for a trip to Charlie O's on the Saturday, October 21 (I have NO idea who will be playing that night--but John Heard and Roy McCurdy are there just about EVERY Friday and Saturday night!) I'm up for making a reservation for a group of 4 or 6 or whatever--just PM me and let me know if you want to go!

www.charlieos.com

a_IMG_0360_7-10.jpg

IMG_1309-iC

The GREAT John Heard, the Saturday night before the last Super Bowl--as you can tell, John's a Steeler homeboy!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. What an afternoon it was! Danny Grissett's quintet was SMOKIN'! Heman Riley on tenor, Anthony Wilson on guitar, Ralph Penland on drums and the "new kid in L.A." Edwin Livingston on bass. The second set closed out with "Hittin' the Jug" and "C-Jam Blues" and I thought the roof of the A-Frame was gonna LIFT OFF!!!

For those of you who missed it, Danny has a trio gig at the Crown Plaza on Thrusday. It's FREE!

Thu, October 19

Danny Grissett Trio

Danny Grissett (p), Bob Hurst (B), Ralph Penland (d)

Crown Plaza Hotel LAX - 5985 W. Century Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA
(310) 258-1333

Wow. What an afternoon it was! Danny Grissett's quintet was SMOKIN'! Heman Riley on tenor, Anthony Wilson on guitar, Ralph Penland on drums and the "new kid in L.A." Edwin Livingston on bass. The second set closed out with "Hittin' the Jug" and "C-Jam Blues" and I thought the roof of the A-Frame was gonna LIFT OFF!!!

For those of you who missed it, Danny has a trio gig at the Crown Plaza on Thrusday. It's FREE!

Thu, October 19

Danny Grissett Trio

Los Angeles, CA

(310) 258-1333

I absolutely second Allans feelings on the show! I was there with my son and father-in-law (who has only missed prior A Frame engagements if out of town), and we had a GREAT time!. One thing Allan failed to mention was that Danny had just gotten married on Saturday and seemed to have waaay too much energy for someone just waking up after his wedding night....

Allan, does Betty's carpet qualify as "Vintage"? I haven't seen powder blue shag in a long time. Hopefully I can sneak away for a burger with you Thursday night at the Crown Plaza.

Chris

Thu, October 19

Danny Grissett Trio

Los Angeles, CA

(310) 258-1333

I absolutely second Allans feelings on the show! I was there with my son and father-in-law (who has only missed prior A Frame engagements if out of town), and we had a GREAT time!. One thing Allan failed to mention was that Danny had just gotten married on Saturday and seemed to have waaay too much energy for someone just waking up after his wedding night....

Allan, does Betty's carpet qualify as "Vintage"? I haven't seen powder blue shag in a long time. Hopefully I can sneak away for a burger with you Thursday night at the Crown Plaza.

Chris

Yeah, the A-Frame is a time capsule, circa 1973!! Gotta love Betty Hoover--she really, really cares about the music!