Tarheel's LaScalas

bluesboy

NICE pre-amp ........[:)]

mine's # 670 .........Mike didn't make a whole lot of those .....[;)]

Thanks Duke,

I see we also have the same cd player.....stock or modified?

Have you retubed the preamp? .

well, ...I have been meaning to re-tube mine, who knows how many hours are on the tubes

the original owner never did .recall...

but, small signal tubes oughta last 10,000 hours ..

mine are still quiet, no microphonic's, hiss, hum ...

i was weighing wether to order them from Quicksilver, due to the 800 volt B+ supply in that baby ....

JD 100 ... swapped in some old GE (amperex ) i had hanging around since the '70's....

a little tighter than the stock tubes, but not really much different

NICE pre-amp ........[:)]

mine's # 670 .........Mike didn't make a whole lot of those .....[;)]

Thanks Duke,

I see we also have the same cd player.....stock or modified?

Have you retubed the preamp? .

well, ...I have been meaning to re-tube mine, who knows how many hours are on the tubes

the original owner never did .recall...

but, small signal tubes oughta last 10,000 hours ..

mine are still quiet, no microphonic's, hiss, hum ...

i was weighing wether to order them from Quicksilver, due to the 800 volt B+ supply in that baby ....

JD 100 ... swapped in some old GE (amperex ) i had hanging around since the '70's....

a little tighter than the stock tubes, but not really much different

Thats the equivalent of 3 hours a day for ten years! Still....I sometimes hear a slight hum. Any reason to get concerned?

I talked with Mike Sanders some time ago about tube rolling with the thought in mind about winged "C" KT-88s for the horn monos but he didn't have a strong opinion about whether the change would be worthwhile. We didn't discuss the preamp though I will probably go to him for the tube replacement package when that time comes. Think there is any tweaking to do with other tubes on the preamp?

you have to be carefull what you put in the preamp, as a weak NOS, or used tube will surely smoke under the HV stress that power supply put's on the screen / grid......

the Mono's ......??

Mike i don't think is a big fan of Sustitution.....

he once told me to just use what it was shipped w/ it , as that is how he voiced the Amp, after many hours of experimentation

you have to be carefull what you put in the preamp, as a weak NOS, or used tube will surely smoke under the HV stress that power supply put's on the screen / grid......

the Mono's ......??

Mike i don't think is a big fan of Sustitution.....

he once told me to just use what it was shipped w/ it , as that is how he voiced the Amp, after many hours of experimentation

Okay....then stock tubes it is for the preamp. May start a thread monday about tubes for the horn monos. I hear the 88s give a boost to the bass but I would like to hear what others have to say who have made the swap. Thanks for your imput. Signing off til monday

• 2 years later...

As a Wahoo I hate to admit it, but I am envious of your music room. Well, ok your B-Ball team too.

Are you the same "Tarheel" who sent me the private message re: R2R. If so, thanks!

The same one Jay and you are welcome. Those are the R2Rs in the previous pics. I have new speakers since then and they are no longer in the corners. Maybe my bud bluesboy will post a picture of the new ones.....they are his handy work.

Yes those are the ones. Have also changed xovers (AL Klappenberger design). The speakers have been moved out of the corners and are now on the long wall which required moving furniture as well. The bass actually increased when I moved them out and they are no longer "wedged" in tight[:)]

Thanks bluesboy.

Tarheel,

I don't have horn mono's but I do have mini-monos. I upgraded at Mike's suggestion to Tesla EL-34's. The amps sound very, very nice this way. I bought a set of KT-88's from Mike. The KT-88's have a bit more bass and are a tad leaner if you needed to tweak in that direction. The set I bought from Mike (Quicksilver) and used for one hour are on e-bay right now, look under circleowl (my wife's ebay account). Anyway, I'm sure the 'Scala clones sound very nice with your set-up.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. What are you using for speaker wire and interconnects, I've helped my system quite a bit with a little fine tuning.

Hi Russ,

This is an old thread (2006) that Jay bumped today. I have changed the horn mono tubes twice since that post...first from the stock Tesla EL-34s to JJ KT-77s to EH 6550s. Yes the 6550s have a little more umph and fuller bass and I like them. They are less than a month old....not even burned in yet. I use Mike's interconnects and regular old 14 gauge speaker cable. My fine tuning at this point is limited to sliding the speakers around to different locations and listening for awhile. I think your minis have the same wattage as the horn monos and are made for tube rolling.

Enjoy!

Chuck

Chuck,

It sounds like you are close to the sound you wanted. I was going to mention that I had good luck with AQ type 4 speaker wire (solid copper, not too much dough). That brought out more mid-range, took out some brittleness and made the system more dynamic. It's not a small tweek, well worth the bucks, if you want to push in that direction.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Really nice set-up you have there.