promedia ultra 2.0: sometimes no sound

Godai85

hi, sorry for my english but i'm italian.

i bought this speakers 3 months ago and after 2-3 weeks, while i was waiting the new pc, i started to use them. for a week they work great but after that sometimes there's no sound and, in order to get them work, i have to turn off and on the speakers...

i test them with both line-in and with a pc and a mp3 reader, but nothing... sometimes the sound get off.

a few days ago i shipped them to the seller for assistance, but they told me that the speakers work great... now i'll have to pay 30 for nothing (plus 12 for the ship... and i have paid them 80...).

what can i do? can the problem be the power supply ?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Amy,

The same exact thing is happening to my speakers. I've gone beyond my 90 day warranty, so I'm on my own, but about a month or so ago the speakers would go out once every 3 or 4 days, and the only way to get them on would be to turn off the switch and then turn it back on. Now it's happening once every hour, and on occasion, I even have to turn off and on the switch more than once to get the speakers to work again. As you can imagine, this is pretty annoying. It's not apparently the wiring. checking the wiring contacts does not fix the problem near as often as doing the switch off and on solution. As I'm typing this, the speakers have gone silent again. I can hear an occasional quiet "pop" so some kind of signal is getting to the speakers, just not the music I have playing in the background. Any other suggestions? Now the speakers have come back on on their own without any touch of the wires or the switch. Surely it can't be limited to me and the Italian customer. Thanks for any assistance. --Tuckmun

Y'know mine do the same thing...is it possible it is something with the computer they are hooked to??? Our computers are always doing something and when I am just listening to music, there is no problem but when I am on the computer doing something with music going, it sometimes cuts out with that little *pop*...I am thinking it might be the computer??? What are you using to listen on your computers...Windows Media Player in my case...any of you Computer brainiacs know???

Thanks,

Bill

My Klipsch speakers are plugged into a Mac G5 desktop into the "audio line-out" port in the rear of the Mac. In the "Sound" selection in the "System Preferences" there is a way to click onto the line-out as the "Built-In Audio" port. There is nothing I can see that shows the Klipsch speakers by name nor any way I can see to set the audio to "high priority." Am I missing something, make an error in installation, should plug the green plug into the headphones jack in the front of the Mac instead of the Audio line-out port, or is there something else I can to fix this problem because

INTERMITTENT SOUND

BREAKS MY HEART

and GNASHES MY TEETH

Thanks for your assistance, Jay481985

Yes...since our computers run so much stuff and not knowing what is going on from the descriptions it IS too easy to blame the speakers...now if your old speakers don't do the same thing...perhaps it might be the speakers...I hope you get to the bottom of this...good luck.

Bill

• Moderators

Or you can try plugging in headphones directly to the soundcard to see if you get the same result. Sometimes, computer audio can cut in an out if you have several programs running and the memory is being pushed to it's limit. This will cause your media player to pause while the other programs "catch up."

Thanks for the tip. I'll try plugging headphones directly into the Mac and into the headphones outlet on the front of the speakers next time it cuts out.

However, I don't think the cutting in and out has much to do with several programs running. Sometimes it cuts out even if the only programs running are the iTunes (playing music going to the speakers) and the e-mail program, and the internet browser (like it just now did). The background programs are not taxing the computer (dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 w/ 2.5 GB DDR SDRAM) at all. Besides, why then would the speakers respond to being turned off then on again to restore the sound?

Sometimes, the sound comes back on by itself after about ten to thirty seconds after cutting out. If it stays off longer, I reach out for the switch off-switch on fix that works most of the time.

I have not posted any negative reviews about these speakers anywhere yet. I'm still hoping for a dependable fix, but in the meantime, the cutting in and out is pretty annoying to say the least. Thank you.

I believe this is almost certainty a design problem with the speakers. I also have this problem. Not only does sound not come out at all but in my case, sound only comes out of the right speaker with the power knob on it, the left speaker is silent. I've figured out the problem is the knob, it seems to have trouble "engaging" properly because it is far too loose, it has too much give to it. By fiddling around with the knob, jogging it left and right, back and forth, I can eventually get the sound to come out of the left speaker. But the knob is very sensitive and make any subsequent adjustment to it, for example, by changing the volume, and the left speaker cuts out again. That's why people are able to get the sound back by turning the power on/off; eventually, the knob completes the power circuit like it's supposed to and it works but a lot of times, it doesn't. All in all, a very frustrating and disappointing experience.

I have no idea how widespread this problem is, but I have come to the same conclusion, that it has something to do with the speakers. I agree that it appears to be something about the power knob. The primary job of speakers is providing sound when sound is expected. This kind of failure is a profound failure, and one which Klipsch should step up and offer replacement speakers for those of us who have this problem. Until then, I'm going to recommend others to stay away from Klipsch.

• Moderators

If you are under warranty, the dealer you purchased them from should absolutely replace them. If you have trouble, please call us at 888-554-5665.

There is no widespread problem with these speakers--a jack or connection could be loose.

Thanks!