promedia ultra 2.0: sometimes no sound

Godai85

Hi Amy,

I did as you suggested and contacted Klipsch tech support. They basically said I had to pay to get this problem fixed by buying refurbished speakers because my speakers were purchased in May 2005, over a year ago. I have to say, I'm sorely disappointed that you guys won't stand behind a product with a problem that seems like at least a few of your users have. Really, really disappointed at the poor quality of the product that breaks in my case in a little over a year and the "tough luck" response of your tech support.

peter

Well, count me in! My 2.0 s are doing the same thing. Bought them 6 months ago, am amazed by the sound, but this past week are starting to cut out for no apparent reason. No sound, power is still on, you can hear a weak sounding popping sound coming out of them and have to turn them off and back on to restore sound. They do this about 1 to 2 times a week after being on for only an hour or so. No loose connections, plugged and unplugged everything a couple of times to make sure. Running Windows on a Dell PC.It would be interesting to compare serial numbers of affected units to see if there was a bad batch coming out of the factory, or a general design flaw. Other than that they are an amazing sounding speaker at that price point.

• Moderators

I honestly have heard nothing about this being a recurring problem, but please call us to describe the problem, even if you didn't purchase from us. If there is a batch problem, this is the only way we would hear about it. With the very few complaints at this point, however, I don't think there is cause for alarm.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my problem has been solved. The solution for me was to turn the power knot back and forth like 10 times. Apparently, the cause of the problem is that the connection inside can get dirty so turning the knot back and forth cleans it. Be sure to unplug the power so that you don't blow out your speakers when you turn it all the way up. Now, I get sound from both speakers without having to fiddle with the knot and I don't lose sound from the left speaker when I adjust the volume. I hope this works for other folks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have tried the turning the control knob back and forth several times and it seems to help but not solve the problem on mine. The speakers have gone from switching off up to 6 to 8 times in one evening to maybe going for 2 days with no problems and now tonight they are back going off multiple times again. It is diffently the control knob design. Bummer. By control knob I mean the volume control.

I am quite shocked to see the Klipsch people here claiming that:

1. The problem must come from sofware/drivers/settings on the computer.

2. The problem is not widespread.

My answers:

1. Since when does audio on a computer require so much resources, memory, blablabla? I mean this is totally ridiculous. There are persons here who clearly said they tried the speakers on PC, Mac, and with external sources such as MP3 players. Why do you keep repeating that the problem comes from the computer?

2. How do you know the problem is not widespread? Because people don't report it? It doesn't mean there are not desperate people around the world who got duped and are trying right now to make their speakers work.

Now to my problem:

I have the SAME EXACT problem as described many times by many users here above. I bought the speakers back in May in Singapore, and yes, I am now in Singapore, and not North America.

The speakers worked great the first 2 months, then suddenly started showing the "no sound / occasional pop" symptoms. Turning the switch off and back on sometimes resolves the problem.

Of course, as a tech geek myself, I initially thought something was wrong was my audio drivers. I tried everything, and still no solution.

Finally, I tried the speakers with many external sources, and the problem is there. I tried different power plugs, tried them in different countries, ...etc.

Conclusion: IT *IS* A PROBLEM COMING FROM THE SPEAKERS THEMSELVES.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the Volume/Power knob, but cleaning it has given no results so far.

I am extremely frustrated and pissed off regarding the matter. I think Klipsch should seriously think of addressing this problem on a worldwide scale urgently. Maybe recall all speakers and exchange them for free. Before the sword hits you back in the face very soon!

Clubhouse,

I think people here were trying to offer solutions to the problem instead of believing in conspiracy theories.

It was offered as a possible reason for the cut outs as a conflict with programs running...you have never had two programs fight with each other because they aren't compatible?...it was just a theory (I belive first posted by me) as to why this might be happening...

As for the problem to being widespread...Klipsch doesn't yet believe it is widespread because we are the first to complain about it and they have sold TONS of these (take a look at all the ones on eBay...maybe THOSE were defective and are finding their way to the market as 1st quality but NOT sold by Klipsch...so you accuse Klipsch of not admitting to a problem being widespread but you offer no proof that there is a widespread problem...I believe Amy and Klipsch are sensitive to our issues and offer to help...just ask or continue to stamp your feet and get no where...

Now, how is Klipsch supposed to fix a problem if they don't know it exists? Once we started reporting the problem here, they find out there is a complaint and they will deal with that accordingly...honestly, I have two pair of these...one pair has had no problem and is old...the next pair I have are half as old and I experience this problem...turning the volume control back and forth seems to cure it until the next time.

Incidently, my first pair have a dark "Christmas Tree" green light and this newer pair has a more "apple" green light.

Amy, If you like, I could send you mine to check them out to see what might be the deal, I don't think I have the original receipt (of course I do for the first pair) but I think I still have the box somewhere...

Bill

I just bought these speakers from Best Buy expecting the best. When I first plugged them in and heard them, I thought what wonderful sound!!! Then the popping started, then the sound went out??!! I turned them off, then on and everything went ok for a couple of hours. Sound went out and it never came back. I originally had them plugged into my xm radio roady so software (as noted in the other threads) couldn't of been an issue. Then plugged them into my laptop, configured them as noted on one of the threads but still no sound. Unplugged them, plugged them back in and got sound for about 3 minutes (on laptop itunes) then the sound went out and never came back. Has anyone found a fix for this? I can't believe these speakers were over ninety dollars!! I could've gone cheap but I wanted both hardware/sound quality as expected in Klipsch speakers. The sound is great when they work. But what good is great sound when the speakers won't work as expected? Or designed?

Griping and disappointed!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

People should ask us directly before posting to other sites!! ??

Those boxes were packed before the one year special warranty was in effect a few weeks ago. The one year warranty is for a limited time, and only good for B stock purchased from www.klipsch.com or the Klipsch ebay store.

Everyone in returns and customer service are aware of the discrepancy. If someone would like to have the amended warranty sheet for their records, please email me directly requesting it.

Thank you!
Amy

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I have the exact same problem as others in this thread.  My speakers were working just fine for a while, then all of a sudden, the sound cuts out.  Turning the speakers off and on sometimes rememdies this problem, but after using that "workaround" for a while, it no longer works.

I am certain it is not an issue with my computer's setup.  If I plug in headphone into the headphone jack in front of the speakers, it works fine.  I bought speakers though, not a headphone amp.

Please help.

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem the speakers are currently with the dealer for the second time.

History:

Placed order in November '05, took delivery in January '06.

Speakers ran fine for about 4 months, then started to cut out intermittently.

Found they would sometimes restart and work for a while by themselves, experimenting showed they'd sometimes come good again if the volume control was turned down and up again if this didn't work then turning off and on again brought them back.

This got progressively worse over the next couple of months, eventually they'd only run for a couple of minutes if they started at all.

Tried them on another machine and found the fault moved with them, so in August returned them to the dealer, who connected them to an MP3 player and, of course, Murphy being who he is, they worked.

Four days later they rang me and said they couldn't find anything wrong had run them over the weekend without any fault showing up, so they couldn't send them back to the distributor.

I picked them up, put them back on the main computer and, sure enough, they seemed fine.

About two weeks later they started to cut out again, and after a few days they would only start if they were switched on and off several times, and would without fail cut out after two or three minutes.

I put them back in the box and re-installed the old set (Jazz JS200, now about a decade old) which worked fine and still do no cutting out at all, but are suffering from occasional odd noises due to age.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some painting and came across the Promedias, which I'd totally forgotten ((I'm 82 and tend to forget anything that's not right under my nose...), did a search for reports of similar problems with them and came across this thread, so trotted them back to the dealer again.

He pointed out that they were now some days over 12 months and said there was now nothing he could do about it the distributors were within their rights to refuse any further dealings and he was sure they'd do so.

Since all the paperwork was in the box with them, including the work sheet for the previous fault report, some fairly lively discussion ensued and he finally agreed to try the distributors with them so far I've not heard anything.

I'll probably have to write the $A200 ( about $US155 they're noticeably more expensive here than in the US) off to experience, I suppose.

Later edit (Feb 22): I just went and picked up the speakers the distributors actually came to the party and replaced the main unit.

So far they sound fine (no static from the volume control like the first set had) and the drop-out problem seems fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the exact same problem as all the above.

I think Klipsch should stand by their products and guarantee that they don't break a year or two after they were purchased. It simply doesn't matter whether the problem is widespread. We all know that automakers produce a few lemon automobiles for every thousand, and these aren't often detected until a year or two afterwards. Don't you think it would be possible Klipsch could produce a few lemons as well? For automobiles, lemon laws are there to protect the few consumers affected by poorly produced items.

what makes you think Klipsch isn't standing behind their product? I believe that everyone who has had problems and is within the warranty period (extended IIRC) has gotten theirs fixed or replaced...I see these speakers sold on eBay all the time...how many have this problem with speakers they bought from a retailer and not received warranty service??? How many have bought theirs "gray market"??? Your analogy of the Automobile Lemons is off as well...Lemons USUALLY show themselves right away...the Lemon Law is usually the same problem 3 times within a certain period...not showing itself years down the road...I am not bashing what you have written but wondering as I see some post here about problems but not about the solutions...

Bill

• 1 month later...