Just order some acoustic foam

wuzzzer

Finally got around to ordering some acoustic foam! I bought it on eBay from foambymail. Their eBay prices are actually cheaper than their website prices!

I bought 48 12x12x2" tiles and instead of the foam adhesive I opted for 2 extra tiles for free. The deal came with 8 free 3x3x24" corner bass absorbers which will help my basement room quite a bit.

I already have a game plan as to how and where to put up the tiles. I'll probably have a good amount of them left over.

I'll have my wife help me with the mirror trick to tame the first reflections. For temporary placement I'm going to use double sided tape first and then when its set up the way I like I'll probably look into a more permanent mounting.

Mark,

Good luck on your project. When you mount them permanently, there is a trick that will give some extra absorption at the lower frequencies. Rather than adhering them directly to the wall, you can space them away from the wall using slats or whatever. That extra gap will provide extra performance. The larger the gap the better.

-Tom

I have seen these foam around audiogon before, not sure if they are the same ones, but the specs of these foam is kind of a mystery. They advertise it to be the same as Auralex's version, but each type of foam that Auralex makes have specs and absorption properties listed very clear, and each type cater to different type of absorption. If they are that cheap, then who cares, they are just foam. I was kind of surprised when I got my Auralex, and said to myself: " I just paid $80 for foam that you find used as packing contents for other products". Just me venting.

I have seen these foam around audiogon before, not sure if they are the same ones, but the specs of these foam is kind of a mystery. They advertise it to be the same as Auralex's version, but each type of foam that Auralex makes have specs and absorption properties listed very clear, and each type cater to different type of absorption. If they are that cheap, then who cares, they are just foam. I was kind of surprised when I got my Auralex, and said to myself: " I just paid $80 for foam that you find used as packing contents for other products". Just me venting.

Foambymail lists their specs very well on both eBay and their website. There is different foam as far as open-cell and closed-cell. I don't think packing foam is the same thing. Plus, the advantage of places like Foambymail is that each tile is symmetrical and can be placed end to end or stacked without any variations in the pieces lining up.

I like Ethan Winer, this statement gave me a slight chuckle though:

"One standard MiniTrap is nearly six times more effective than the same four-foot length of corner foam at 100 Hz and all lower frequencies."

Its also more than six times as expensive ;)

And, did he ever think that I don't want that much frequency dampening? Sure they're more effective, but at what cost? Having a completly dead, flat sounding room?

Its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other if you persist in doing it without the proper tools!

Its rather like doing circuit design based on the size of the puff of smoke and the intensity of the shock you receive!

You still don't know where you are and you have no means to determine when you have gotten to where you desire to go.