Ever feel you're alone in the audio world?

wuzzzer

Having a forum like this is great, but being able to talk to someone in person about your love for audio is another thing.

From my friends to my co-workers to my wife, no one I know has the same passion or interest for audio as I do. My best friend got me hooked on audio, and now he's somewhat out of the game as he delegated the most recent home audio purchase to his wife and ended up with a Sony HTIB. Most of my co-worker's think Bose is the ultimate.

One co-worker's husband used to have Klipsch, sold them to his sister and now has a Bose cube system.

It took an A/B test at Ultimate Electronics to show my wife how vastly different speakers can sound. When I had my Definitive Technology sub/sat system we went to Ultimate Electronics and they had a sound room with Definitives similar to mine and also the Klipsch RF lineup from the RF-15 up to the RF-7. I put on some Eagles CD and started with the Definitives. I then switched over to the RF-25s and my wife couldn't believe the difference. I then switched to the RF-7s and her only response was "Holy crap!"

I don't know why people need such a in-your-face demonstration. At the time I was focused on the RF-25s since they were within my budget. 6 months later I found a deal on a pair of RF-7s that were less than 1 year old for $1000. Jumped on the chance. If I hadn't done the A/B test with my wife I can guarantee I would not have my RF-7s, let alone the previous RF-25s.

Yep. That's part of the problem with having extremely good taste.

Oh well. It is very cool that your wife could hear and appreciate the difference in speakers. I don't know many people, locally, who care about Klipsch or sound that much. It is very nice, though, that my wife likes the sound. On the rare occasions that we listen together, it is great fun.

I put on some Eagles CD and started with the Definitives. I then switched over to the RF-25s and my wife couldn't believe the difference. I then switched to the RF-7s and her only response was "Holy crap!"

I don't know why people need such a in-your-face demonstration.

Problem is audio is not visual. Heck most people when driving cannot remember the last 5 traffic signs that they past. Its subjective, put a person in a sweltering hot humid room and audition the best speakers in the world and they might not agree, put people in a controlled and relaxed setting and they might like speakers that are subpar (hmm bosestore tactics anyone?)

Problem is audio is not visual. Heck most people when driving cannot remember the last 5 traffic signs that they past. Its subjective, put a person in a sweltering hot humid room and audition the best speakers in the world and they might not agree, put people in a controlled and relaxed setting and they might like speakers that are subpar (hmm bosestore tactics anyone?)

Even regarding visual, the same co-worker who's husband had Klipsch once told me she didn't see any difference between something in HDTV and in non-HD. [8-)]

As far as the nerd part, I love cars and know a lot about them. I love audio and know a lot about it. I love watches and know a lot about them. I love computers and know a lot about them. Yes, I'm the guy in school who was considered a nerd. For me, I try and find out as much as possible about my interests. I know many, many people who love music and if they just became a little interested in audio itself they would appreciate their music that much more.

Who's a nerd. I went to Hope, looked around, said to myself, Nope, no nerds in Hope.[H]

I mean, a bunch of men (a few women and kids), sitting around discussing the nuances of this and that audio. That doesn't seem nerdy at all....[;)]

Plus, when I laughed about me and us being audio nerds in front of my wife and kids, my 6 year old who went to the convention said:

Dad, I didn't see any Nerds at the Pilgrimige. And I know that We're not Nerds![;)]

Paul

I loves what I loves! If someone else thinks I'm a nerd, well, I probably wouldn't hear it anyway.[;)]

I'd be listening to my SWEET setup!!!![:D]

Better to be an aurally (sp????????) satisfied Nerd than someone with unsatisfied hearing issues complete with massive sebum retention sydrome.

Definition of Sebum = earwax.....[:^)]

Paul

Duke, I know what you mean. It got soooooo bad last year, that the guys I work with started looking up high end audio stuff on the internet, just to have something to talk about (they also think little cubes are hi-end stereo) with me. I caught on when one of them forgot his "crib sheet" and began talking about Nakamichi stuff. [:)]

Crank it up loud enough, the cops will come by.. Your never alone!! hahahahahahaha

Yes, it is a lonely hobby. No one else appreciates it, except those "IN" the hobby. It is, however, better than say drugs, alcohol, cheating on your spouse, gambling, lots of things that you "could be doing with excess cash." It will keep you home, but also might make you a little bit of a isolationist too.

So do this above all.. Share what you have, let others see it, hear it for themselves too. THAT'S what it is all about.