tigerwoodKhorns

Steven Rochlin's recipes

Distilled water Alcohol Detergent

1 part 1 part isopropyl none

1 part 1 part isopropyl a drop of Triton X-100

1 quart (~ 1 liter) 1/2 quart denatured 10 drops Photoflo

3 parts 1 part denatured a few drops

3 parts 1 part rubbing a few drops

4 parts 1 part ethanol some (Genie in the Bottle)

Laura Dearborn's recipe

3 parts 1 part isopropyl 1 drop Triton X-114 or Monolan 2000

Don Roderick's recipe

4 parts 1 part isopropyl (91%) 7-8 drops dishwashing detergent w/o additives

Keith Monks's recipe (TAS)

Distilled water Alcohol + Detergent

1 part 1 part denatured alcohol (90% ethyl, 9.5% methyl, .5% pyridine)

Jonathan Scull's recipe (Stereophile)

Distilled water Alcohol Detergents

3 parts 1 part NON-lanolin isopropyl 10 drops Photo-Flo + 10 drops "Direct" tile cleaner

If he refunded you with the "refund" option button then there's nothing he can do to ge tthe money back...can't even file a claim. If he refunded you with the "send money" option button then he is able to file a claim. He won't get his money back from you but there's a possibility if you don't clearly explain yourself that your account may not stay in pristine standing.

Now, if he sent these funds to you via credit card and wants to file a chargeback...well, the credit card company will probably see it his way and your PayPal account could go negative and you'll owe that amount to PayPal. Not PayPal's fault, they're just stuck in the middle and certainly won't take the hit from the credit card company on your behalf...as well they don't deserve to. They'll fight for you but shouldn't take the fall for you.

In any case, sounds like it'll all be fine since both parties appear to be honest people. That's what makes PayPal great. There's only a sliver of people who have problems there...but experience shows that they're usually the ones who don't read the user agreements when using online services (especially financial ones! sheesh!), then complain when something happens that the user agreement states was going to happen. Nobody to blame...

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Rochlin's recipes

1 part 1 part isopropyl none

1 part 1 part isopropyl a drop of Triton X-100

1 quart (~ 1 liter) 1/2 quart denatured 10 drops Photoflo

3 parts 1 part denatured a few drops

3 parts 1 part rubbing a few drops

4 parts 1 part ethanol some (Genie in the Bottle)

Laura Dearborn's recipe

3 parts 1 part isopropyl 1 drop Triton X-114 or Monolan 2000

Don Roderick's recipe

4 parts 1 part isopropyl (91%) 7-8 drops dishwashing detergent w/o additives

Keith Monks's recipe (TAS)

Distilled water Alcohol + Detergent

1 part 1 part denatured alcohol (90% ethyl, 9.5% methyl, .5% pyridine)

Jonathan Scull's recipe (Stereophile)

Distilled water Alcohol Detergents

3 parts 1 part NON-lanolin isopropyl 10 drops Photo-Flo + 10 drops "Direct" tile cleaner

OK, I am going to order a VPI 16.5 and need some record cleaning solution.

What is "Distilled Water Alcohol Detergent"?

Where can I get these ingrediants?

Thanks,

Chris

What is "Distilled Water Alcohol Detergent"?

That is three different things:

Distilled water

Alcohol

Detergent

Reading some sense into the recipes above, which are not very well worded and I think inaccurate in some instances, you'd have the water to alcohol ratio anywhere from 3:1 to 1:1. And you'd add a drop or several of dishwashing liquid (I'd use Dawn "You're soaking in it!").

So, if you want to give it a shot, buy a gallon of distilled water, pour a quart of it down the drain or use it to water plants or save it for your ironing. Then add a quart of denatured alcohol (from a drug store), and then add several drops of Dawn. Cap it and shake. Write the new contents on the jug in Magic Marker so that someone doesn't think it's plain distilled water.

• Moderators

Don't pour that distilled water down the drain. You are going to need it to rinse and rinse some of that home brew stuff off your records.[:)] Seriously, I have heard a lot of stuff on these home brews, pro and con. The pros are that it is more effective then store bought stuff and obviously much, much cheeper. The cons seem to focus on residue left behind by the "surfectants." As you know, the surfecant is in there to help spread the solution over the record surface, kind of makes it grip the surface better. The surfectants listed in those receipies were the photoflo, dawn, X1000 or whatever. The big debate is the residue left by these surfectants. I have heard people say that photoflo leaves no residue and is easy to rinse, and I have heard the exact opposite. The same for dawn/dish soap, etc. I have always wanted to try this on my own and see for myself.

Your venture into this area is giving me motivation to try the same. I don't believe there is a one all end all. If you read the links to the DCC Blowout site where Tom Port talks about Record Research Lab vs. Disc Doctor solutions, he indicates that in some cases the DD worked the best, but in other the RR worked the best. He also indicated that DD could make a record noisey that wasn't that way before cleaning.

The other think to keep in mind is the alcohol that you buy should not have any additives. You have to watch the drug store alcohol because if has additives in it, like lanolin and you have to stay away from that stuff.

I am very anxious to hear what you end of trying and how it works out.

Travis

I just bought a bunch of noisey records am going to try the home brew.

If dawn and other products leave a residue it may be because of additives (scents, colors, etc).

Here is the surfecant in Dawn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_laureth_sulfate

I remember in a material science class in undergrad we were using surfecants. I can't remember the chemical (it was a long time ago).

Ill check our cleaning supplies and see what has the least amunt of additives. Maybe Zep will be a good supply for this.

Chris

What alcohol are you going to use? That was always a big key for me.

Travis

I just checked some rubbing alcahol that I have here at the house. It list the active ingredient at isopropyl alcahol (70%) and the inactive ingredient at as water.

It is Kroger brand. I know that Kroger has a big presence in Texas so it should be easy to find.

I think rubbing alcohol is the one alcohol you want to stay away from. Lanolin is often added to rubbing alcohol to condition the skin during a body rub and can leave a residue on records. See if your pharmacy or chemical supply house has some 97% pure isoprophyl.

I recently bought a small bottle of record cleaner concentrate from AcousticSounds.com. I think VPI made it and 1 ounce makes a gallon of cleaner when mixed with distilled water. I use that with a Nitty Gritty Record Vac. Works okay though water beads a lot.

I think rubbing alcohol is the one alcohol you want to stay away from. Lanolin is often added to rubbing alcohol to condition the skin during a body rub and can leave a residue on records. See if your pharmacy or chemical supply house has some 97% pure isoprophyl.

I recently bought a small bottle of record cleaner concentrate from AcousticSounds.com. I think VPI made it and 1 ounce makes a gallon of cleaner when mixed with distilled water. I use that with a Nitty Gritty Record Vac. Works okay though water beads a lot.

How much is it? I just find paying $20 for a quart of "special audiophile cleaner" hard to swallow.

How long does the cleaner last?

This thread is a little old but here's a note on paypal:

When you use your bank account as the money source, paypal cannot transfer money out of your account without specific authorization from you. If they do so anyway, contact your bank and inform them that the transaction is unauthorized and they will reverse it. Paypal will have to show that you explicitly authorized the transaction, and simply saying you authorized chargebacks through TOS will not fly with your bank. Chargebacks are not transactions intiated by you and there is no way they can show that you authorized a paypal-initiated chargeback, and it will not stand.

Generally what they do in this case is go to your secondary source, which is usually a credit card. That won't do them any good either, because once again this is an unauthorized charge, and credit card companies won't allow paypal to use a credit card to chargeback for a transaction that didn't involve the card in the first place. Credit card companies also won't allow paypal chargebacks from credit card authorizations if the bank has removed the charge through their dispute process. Since paypal is acting as the agent for a third party, if you don't receive what you paid for and have the charge removed, there is nothing paypal can do about it other than to cancel your account. (Which is what they do.) Ever wonder why paypal tries so hard to get you to use their credit card? Now you know.

I remain surprised that Paypal is still in business after all these years. They are essentially operating a bank but not complying with state and federal banking laws. If real banks operated like paypal, they would have been shut down and charged criminally years ago. I guess they are greasing all the politicians big time to stay in business.

I remain surprised that Paypal is still in business after all these years. They are essentially operating a bank but not complying with state and federal banking laws. If real banks operated like paypal, they would have been shut down and charged criminally years ago. I guess they are greasing all the politicians big time to stay in business.

Amen, bro! PayPal is a lowlife operation but fat chance anything happening, especially nowadays, with eBay's billions of dollars behind it. That buys a lot of lawyers.

• Moderators

I did not like the VPI stuff at all, did not clean nearly as Disk Doctor or Record Research. Do not use rubbing alcohol. Parts express sells pure alcohol, I am not sure who else does. I think someone posted a good alcohol source on here before as well as a source for labratory grade water.

Travis

• 3 weeks later...

I did not like the VPI stuff at all, did not clean nearly as Disk Doctor or Record Research. Do not use rubbing alcohol. Parts express sells pure alcohol, I am not sure who else does. I think someone posted a good alcohol source on here before as well as a source for labratory grade water.

Travis

OK,

I bought teh VPI 16.5 and record research fluid. After cleaning, records are still noisey. Pop and click in the soft passages. What else do I need to do? I have an original master recording of crime of the century and I'd rather listen to the CD.

• Moderators

Record cleaning will not cure a scratched up record, if it was abused it is gone and nothing can be done. Pops and clicks, at least nearly all of them, should for the most part go away. Did you get the Disk Doctor record brushes? In a lot of cases they will improve greatly upon a record cleaned with just RRL and the VPI "brush." Remember, the VPI brush is not really designed to get into the grooves, it is more to spread the liquid around.

If you want to get deep down into the grooves you need to get those brushes. What are you cleaning your stylist with?

Travis

You're starting to sound like the 911 conspiracy theorists. I would imagine they are still in business because they provide a service that thousands of people find useful and better than the alternatives.

Record cleaning will not cure a scratched up record, if it was abused it is gone and nothing can be done. Pops and clicks, at least nearly all of them, should for the most part go away. Did you get the Disk Doctor record brushes? In a lot of cases they will improve greatly upon a record cleaned with just RRL and the VPI "brush." Remember, the VPI brush is not really designed to get into the grooves, it is more to spread the liquid around.

If you want to get deep down into the grooves you need to get those brushes. What are you cleaning your stylist with?

Travis

What do I need to use to clean the stylus?

It looks like I need the Disc Doctor brushes.

What does a scratch sound like? I always thought of a skip but I guess a scratch can cause a click every time the needle goes over it.