Question on musician's friend

whamo

Last week I ordered a Stanton RM-80 mixer from musician's friend. It was supposed to be factory refurbished and such. Well it arrived yesterday and there was no power supply or manuals or anything. I called them and they said someone will contact me. Has anyone had any similar experiences with musician's friend? I did receive an e-mail this a.m. from paypal that my order has been voided. What does that mean? I was looking at the behringers models 700 and 1000 but they had bad reviews so I went for the stanton. It looks really nice except it can't be used without the power supply. The power supply has what looks like a din plug so I just can't go out to the shed and find one for it. Thanx Mark

I don't know about the paypal transaction. Perhaps that is the first thing they do toward reversing or correcting the order.

I have done business with Musician's friend on several occasions, not with refurbished gear, though. The transactions always gone smoothly. I believe that their rep is excellent and that they should make this right with you in short order.

Musician's Friend is indeed owned by Guitar Center.

I've never ordered anything from them, but they should've sent you a mixer complete with manuals/hardware/cables, etc. Seems like you received a customer return that wasn't visually inspected before being shipped to you, which is unfortunant. But they do stand behind their claims of excellent customer service, so if you haven't already, you need to contact them ASAP so they can correct their mistake:

http://mf.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/mf.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=898

You may have to contact PayPal as to why your transaction was voided.

Good luck!

Yeah, Duke...I'm the warehouse manager at the Lakeland store.

Even though Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, they're both their own seperate entities, and I don't know their policies regarding this issue. But they did screw up Mark's refurbished order with a half-assed repack from a probable customer return by not verifying that everything was there.

Our store will occasionally conduct close-out and/or clearance sales where we'll sell returned or refurbished (either by the vendor or a qualified repair facility) items...some will be missing OEM parts because the original customer either threw them away or misplaced them before they returned the gear. In this case our store will simply sell them way below cost in as-is condition, and the new customer will be notified of such, and that most likely (but not always) there's a no-return policy available on said item(s). As long as the new customer agrees to these terms before making the purchase, if a problem should arise later they know they can't return it.

When customers make returns to our store, they're charged a restocking fee if the OEM parts are missing and/or the original carton's destroyed and not fit for resale. It's a shame that Mark was sent such an item, apparently by mistake. He was under the stipulation that he was receiving a used/refurbished mixer that's still complete with original packaging, manuals, and cabling, yet he was shipped what was obviously an item that was a either an incomplete return or even a floor demo model from a store. I hope that Mark can have this situation resolved...if not, he should be refunded the entire amount back to his PayPal account.

If I can claim him as a friend, LOL, a buddy of mine Michael Kelsey won the Guitar Center Guitar player of the year contest a few years back, he is AMAZING! I got hooked on him, I think, through Bill H off of the Klipsch BB here, and Michael Kelsey has drug me up to sing on some occasions... VERY COOL!

Back in the '80s I used to shop at several Thoroughbred Music stores in Tampa, Clearwater, and Sarasota...I wasn't aware they had other stores throughout the country other than the ones in Florida. I think in the late '90s Sam Ash Music bought them all out.

Indy, that's cool! I don't really keep up on GC's Guitarmagedeon events, but those musicians who do win get great endorsments, prize packages, and a great sum of money, on top of record deals if they decide to realize their dreams!

I ordered a carrying bag for my THD UniValve amp last week, and had the

same thing happen. I received the bag, then I received a message from

PayPal saying that Musician's Friend had "voided" my order.

I've checked my PayPal account, and nothing regarding a refund has been posted yet - but it's only been a few days.

This could turn into a real moral dilemma... Wonder if I should offer to pay for it again if they send my money back?

Duke,

Have not talked with Ed, but sure wish I could play like that!

Got the Uni, as my little Bad Cat Mini is just too bad for an apartment. Well, at least cranked to where it sounds it's best - and it never sounds like a Marshall stack.

Have an Alnico Tone Tubby cab (2x10) on order, but that's still about 5 weeks out. Been playing an EJ through a modded TS9 Screamer into the Uni's clean channel, and using a Cornwall for my "cabinet". Even with a screwed-up rig like this, the sound is just amazing. Had been running a DigiTech RP200 into the BC Mini to try to get good sound at low volumes, but the Digi's tone is kinda lacking compared to the THD running wide open into the attenuator.

I've ordered tons of stuff from Musicians Friend and never had any issues - not even any returns or faulty shipments or anything so I really don't know what their customer service is like. But I'd trust them to make it right in the end. Being a large mass market online retailer I would imagine it'd take some time to get things sorted out.

Indy,

Nope, I wasn't kidding a bit.

I made a credit card purchase a couple of years ago, and soon thereafter received a credit for the same amount. I called the business, explained what had happened, and had them charge me again. The next month, I ended up getting double billed - after someone caught the original mistake. Took me another 3 months, and several hours on the phone with customer support to get a refund.

As much as I want to jump right on this, I'm sitting it out to see what happens. So far, no credit has posted to my PayPal account. If one does, I'm waiting at least a month for MF to catch the error (which they most certainly will, if this has happened to multiple people).

Like you last line - it sounds like a Fram oil filter commercial. [;)]