12AX7 Tube Recommendations for Dynacp PAS 2 CAE mods

George Roland

I have a Dynaco PAS 2 with full Curcio Audio Engineering mods. It has a single 12AX7 tube on the line stage board. I just got 5 Electro-Harmonics 12AX7-EH tubes because mine died. I have been trying them out the last day or two.

Every one of the tubes so far tested sounds different on my Klipschorns. Most are noisy enough to produce some hiss, hum, wind or gurgling that is audible from my listening position 12-14 feet from the speakers.

I gather there are some of you who have a Dynaco PAS-2 or 3 you are using, and I'm wondering if you have any 12AX7 tubes you would recommednd I try for lower levels of noise?

Thanks,

George

George,

I've been using the new, re-issue, Tung-Sol's with excellent results. To my ears, one of the best new manufactured tubes around... sweet, detailed and coherent from top to bottom. You can't go wrong for the money.

William

Well, yes, I did think about that, but since I'm generally satisfied with the PAS-2, and makings tube changes does make audible differences in the sound, it seemed the economical thing to do to try some different tubes.

My experience with tube amps is limited, but I'd be interested in your take on the Curcio modded equipment and what you're using for a preamp.

So maybe not enough said?

George

George,

I don't find much use in active preamplifiers anymore. After I got Bob Crites tweeters and crossovers for my K-horns, I just didn't feel the need to twiddle with treble and bass controls. I bult a device that would allow me to switch inputs and would regulate volume and balance. This went right to the Mark IIIs. Wonderful. It is like cleaning the haze off a window.

I don't do much vinyl. I put a small line amplifier right under the arm. It has the advantage of no line loss or noise gathering.

I bought just about every kit Joe had to offer. Nothing survived a year. They did not satisfy.

"Occam's Razor" rules!

DRBILL

DRBILL,

Thanks for the reply. I can build a kit because I have steady hands and can solder and follow directions, but I have no electronics background, so I couldn't build anything like what you're describing. I'm dependent on what I can buy from others.

In the meantime, I have ordered 4-5 new tubes based on suggestions here and from tube sellers who have provided advice. It should be fun to hear them in a week or so.

I am still exploring this whole horn audio business, and I'm intrigued by how sensitive and revealing the Klipschorns are to these kinds of component changes.

George