"Mega" '70's receivers

richieb

Mike Lindsey, I left Ramstein mid '79 for the states but I worked in the AAFEE's from early 77 to late 78 and your name keeps ringing a bell with me it would be funny if you and I had spoken back then! This world is so big to seem so small sometimes[;)]

You Guys Army or Air Force.?........something tells me you were smart guys and went Air Force...........the Best of everything Military.........the Air Force

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, ob! Yeah, USAF.

Kaiser, I was actually stationed at the 609th in Hessisch Oldendorf (on top of a mountain) up north, but I did get to Sembach a few times a year. I was on the base bowling and volleyball teams as well.

Wasn't it great over there during that timeframe? The deals we got on that stuff was incredible! I used to smoke then and it was $2.20/carton when the Germans were paying $3/pack and the Danes $4/pack. Can you believe I gave it up during those prices? LOL

Mike

Ah, memories...

I too, was stationed at Ludwigsburg, Germany with the 51st Signal Bn. (US Army, naturally) from '83 to '86. I always patronized the post exchange at Robbinson Barracks in Stuttgart, where I bought my first high-end stereo system...instead of a receiver I chose the little 201 WPC Carver M-400t "cube" power amp along with a matching C-1 pre and TX-11 tuner, a pair of kick-*** JBL L112 Century II 3-way walnut monitors (didn't need no stinkin' sub), a Nakamichi DRAGON 3-head cassette deck, and a Denon DP-62L turntable with a Stanton 981HZS cartridge.

The PX also carried Klipsch Heritage, but were all sold out of the Belle Klipsch and La Scalas, and had just sold their last pair of Cornwalls and Heresys that day I bought my gear; instead of putting in an order through the AAFES catalog for another pair of Cornwalls, I didn't want to wait so I settled on the JBLs (which really were fine bookshelf loudspeakers that easily handled 300 watts and could clearly be heard throughout the entire 2nd floor of the barracks during GI parties)![H][8]

Thanks Guys, alot of stories to tell,but I don't dare put them in print. Germany is a beautiful country once you get away from the Cities............It was a 90 day holding period in Germany, then send you to Nam........one way or the other, you ended up in South East Asia....All the inspections and drills sucked, was glad to ship out.....Young and foolish, refused to get drivers license, spent 30 days on KP, got drivers license, shipped out 30 days later...........Draftee..............Thanks "Tricky" Dick Nixon...........

anyway, sold a lot of Kenwood KR-9600's, was actually our best selling "big" reciever,

From what I'm told by my friend who owns a vintage audio repair shop, the KR-9600 has a fairly sizable following to this day. I brought mine in for a tuneup since it had been about 25 years and I was getting some static from the volume knob. While it was in the shop, he got 2 offers (both over $500) for it just from folks seeing it on the shelf. Apparently, a lot a people use 2 or 3 of them with a DAC for their HT systems.

OB, '76 to '79 USAF[;)]

Mike, sorry to do these one hits and run but I'm picking up my boys!

I used to go visit my buddies at Sembach all the time. But my favorite was Bitburg, we used to frequent a little guest house there that served the best Bitburger Alt that was to die for[:D]

Now I've gone and done it, got 6 cold Spaten Optimator's waiting for me at home and I have been jamming on Seti's table the last couple nights and his Grado Platinum refernce is really a warm sounding cartridge compared to my Stanton on my Thoren's and I'm kind of enjoying the change[:P]

Take it easy guys and I'll catch ya on the flipside[8]

Since this has turned into a memories thread, (I guess it always was) I was Army, 1976-1978 stationed in Ft Bragg NC. 358th of the 313th ASA (Army Security Agency, like the CIA but in the Army). Later I was transfered to the 8th PSYOPbn, 7th special forces, also on Ft Bragg.

There were at least 3 major retailers of stereo equipment that ran adds on the radio .......NONSTOP. When it came time for me to buy MY first good setup, I went to a store that had NO major advertising at all, Sound Systems Inc. Nothing but high end equipment. They STOCKED the full Klipsch line and the best of the rest. I bought a Yamaha CA600 integrated amp, Yamaha CT 400 tuner, B&O 1900 TT, Tandberg 3500X RtoR and Yamaha NS 600 speakers (I couldn't afford Klipsch at the time and the PX only carried mid line consumer equipment). The amp only pushed 35w per but it was so clean sounding compaired to what was on the consumer market that I just couldn't pass it up. I still have all these pieces and some of them are even still in service in my home. Those 35watts sure could make the barracks rock!

Nice Cal, I remember every one of those pieces and one of my good buddies bought the NS-1000's and drove them with one of those big rack handle Kennies[:)] if you still have that Tandy hold on to her[H]

Yes OB, he was just over to my place last night wishing he could get the bounce out of his music rooms floor because he now knows just how good his turntable can sound!! Yikes I'm going to here it from him now[:P]

Tarheel,

Are you interested in selling that SX-1280, I have been looking for one for quite a while.

mowntnbkr

Please pardon me for not responding to your question but I never finished reading the thread. Another forum member called last night and asked if I knew that you were interested in the Pioneer reciever so this morning I continued reading.

To answer your question in a round about way I guess I could sell it though its' almost like asking is your dog for sale. A little history, you will have to bare with me while I do some sentimental rambling as thats what old folks like me sometimes do. I bought the Pioneer new in the 70s when I was in my 20s, financed it and made monthly payments. I bought it through one of those discount houses, maybe Illinois Audio, I can't recall. It has been babied all these years, taken apart for cleaning 3 years ago and now sits on top of my right laScala waiting to be played again. Since I went to tubes, that doesn't happen often. When I listen to the tube gear and look over at the Pioneer I feel a tinge of guilt almost like she has been abandoned.

Some folks will say...it's either for sale or it isn"t. Well thats not the way it is for me. When I think about selling it I wonder if after 2 or 3 years I will wish I had it back. On the other hand it's not being used and doing what it does best, making music.

If you are still interested, ask me your questions. I hate to even think about packing up such a heavy piece of equipment. I have the manual and the original sales brochure I use to go oogle over at Southeastern Radio.

You do have a fenced yard...right? Just kidding.

Chuck

Hmm, they used to attach directly to the text box now it is on the attachment link! OK you savvy photo attachers what exactly am I not getting right here?

It sounds like you nearly had it. DO NOT preview the post or you will loose the photo!

In short, in Compose, write your post, next

Options, brouse to your photo and click OPEN

THEN POST!

Yes I still have the Tandberg, The drive belt died about 15 years ago and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, one of these days perhaps![;)]

Nice Cal, I remember every one of those pieces and one of my good buddies bought the NS-1000's and drove them with one of those big rack handle Kennies[:)] if you still have that Tandy hold on to her[H]

Yes OB, he was just over to my place last night wishing he could get the bounce out of his music rooms floor because he now knows just how good his turntable can sound!! Yikes I'm going to here it from him now[:P]

I get to hear my Turntable at Hope and at Kaisers house but that is all[:'(]

My house was built in 1890 and the floors just bounce too much for a TT.

Perhaps I'll trade my TT for a nice reel to reel.

Seti.....have you tried suspending the tt from the ceiling? Use chain so you can remove links to level the tt or a small turnbuckle. We did this at Bluesboys house and no more skipping/sratched records. A great conversation piece to boot.

Chuck

That is what Kaiser suggested. I'm not sure how well this will work as I was on the top rung of the ladder touching the ceiling and I could still feel vibration. Maybe just for the hell of it we will try. Do you have any pics of his suspended table?

Okay then go the other way, cut a 6"x6" hole into your floorboards and put some sort of post into the sub-strata, plenty of caulking around said post (stops the drafts and bugs from entering your home), place 2ft square granite slab upon post. Seems to me you'd be good to go after this well thought out modification......John

P,s Let me know what your wife thinks about this.

Okay then go the other way, cut a 6"x6" hole into your floorboards and put some sort of post into the sub-strata, plenty of caulking around said post (stops the drafts and bugs from entering your home), place 2ft square granite slab upon post. Seems to me you'd be good to go after this well thought out modification......John

P,s Let me know what your wife thinks about this.

No, no, no, you have to go down to bedrock to get the full benefits. I would suggest 165 foot deep caissons.

Perhaps something like this:

post-17373-13819310857596_thumb.jpg