Newer CDs just better???

SilverSport

I have several CDs from the early bleccchhhh years (late '80s) and even some into the '90s...they don't sound as nice as CDs I pick up today whether they be recorded recently or "reissues"...what's up with that???

Will a SACD sound better on a regular CD player than say the same CD recorded in "normal" CD???

It seems I need to turn up the volume on my older CDs but the newer stuff is louder and seems to have more "punch"...your thoughts...

Bill

I have several CDs from the early bleccchhhh years (late '80s) and even some into the '90s...they don't sound as nice as CDs I pick up today whether they be recorded recently or "reissues"...what's up with that???

Will a SACD sound better on a regular CD player than say the same CD recorded in "normal" CD???

It seems I need to turn up the volume on my older CDs but the newer stuff is louder and seems to have more "punch"...your thoughts...

Bill

Glad you only have several. Generally speaking early cds were dreadfull even in the 90s. That is one reason vinyl returned to popularity. Then came 20bit and 24bit processing and things changed for the better. I am at the point of culling all the old cds out of my storage and leaving only the ones produced with the newer technology usually after year 2000. Thats probably means disgarding 150 cds for me. The good news is that some of the digitally remastered cds even fom the 50s sound great (Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis). Haven't heard sacd but my tubed Jolida sounds great to my ears.

Chuck

Absolutely cds now are much better. It took them a while to get it right.

I have found that that sound tracks were the first to start sounding much better and then music regular music releases followed. Whether my observation is correct or not I do not know.

Ok so how do I know which speaker is for the left or right side? If I look at my serial numbers does the lower number go on the left and the higher on the right or the other way around? I would hate to be listening to stereo the wrong way...

Buy the Pulse, it has a speaker set-up on it.............Damn what a Disc.....[;)]

...Haaaa...I would never dream of calling you Alice...Curiouser and Curiouser...Alice in WonderLand...I was making an obscure and obtuse shot at myself for first making a double post, second...asking where my post had gone (completely unaware of the double post) ans third...well...I must be in a haze, wouldn't you agree???[;)] [:P]

Bill

I think you are right Bill. the newer Redbook

CDs are better. I took nearly 30 years for the producers to

finally get it right. [8]

Rick

I think the CD manufacturing process is pretty good and stable for many

years. Mastering and production has been more consistent in

recent years.

Perhaps the guys like Rhino are keeping the big fellas honest, I

just got the Rhino CD reissues of Crosby Stills and Nash first LP and

Daylight Again.

Very excelent!

I still find very few CDs using Sony Pro Tools that I am really crazy about.