WTB NEW CARTRIDGE

jcmusic

Hi guys, I am looking for a new cartridge for my Luxman PD 264. It has a low arm mass, so I will need a high compliance cartridge. MM is my prefered choice. It does not have to be brand new, if anyone has a nice used one that will work if the price is right. I listen to mostly rock and jazz, the cartridge I use now is a grado gf-3. Any and all advice heeded.

Jay

I don't know what he wants for his Dynavector but that would probably be a really good match. Nothing new in the $200 or less price range does much for me except maybe the Denon LOMC's which aren't an option for you.

A very lightly used Shure V15 would probably mate well also and would be in your price range. I like them a lot but I know others who don't.

If going new, whichever Grado color is in that price range would be another option. I used a $60 Grado Green on my Thorens and it sounded suprisingly good.

I can't imagine that any of the lower end Ortofon/Grado/Shure/Dynavector's wouldn't mate just fine. The Dynavector would probably sound better than the rest as it is a higher-end cart although I'm no expert. I've just had some fairly recent experience with a few on 3 of my last 4 tables. The Shure M97E is decent if you want to go new and for under $100, not much to lose. If you can find a used Grado Sonata (new = $500), they sound really good but I can't recall ever seeing one on the used market.

I can't imagine that any of the lower end Ortofon/Grado/Shure/Dynavector's wouldn't mate just fine. The Dynavector would probably sound better than the rest as it is a higher-end cart although I'm no expert. I've just had some fairly recent experience with a few on 3 of my last 4 tables. The Shure M97E is decent if you want to go new and for under $100, not much to lose. If you can find a used Grado Sonata (new = $500), they sound really good but I can't recall ever seeing one on the used market.

I would have jumped at the Dynavector 10x5 if I did not buy a 20x. I can only add that the 20x is outstanding and the used 10x5 is in your price range. I think that it goes for $300 to $380 new.

Jay, with what Gary just said and knowing you want to stay around $200.00 the Mahogany body Grado Reference Platinum for $300.00 new is an awesome cartridge and although I have not heard the Dynavector 10X5 I'd be willing to bet the Grado Platinum is in the same league and of much higher quality/standards than the plastic bodied Grado's although I do have a Grado Red it is no where as nice or smooth sounding as the reference line[;)]

I sold Seti my old MMF 2.1 table with the Reference Platinum on it and I have it back at my place and on my system again and it really sounds sweet[:D]

If memory serves me correctly a new Dyn 10X5 is $380.00. You can view or buy these and many more fine selection at needledoctor.com. Good luck

Ok guys I settled on the Shure M97eX, first impressions. I think this cart. is going to work just fine until I upgrade the TT. The shure is smooth and laid back in my system and that's a good thing. I am happy with it as it is so far, I will post more after a more complete listen.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys upon further review, the Shure M97xE is a good match for my vintage Luxman TT. The sound is overall full bodied, laid back, nice bottom end, it could however in my opinion be a tad more open. I don't think that would hurt, but for under $100.00 I am really satisfided with what it does.

As I get more into vinyl I will move up to match the rest of my system. I think my system is a little ahead of my vinyl setup, but I am content for now. I have come a long way in this past year, with a lot help from this forum. So thanks to the forum and all of you guys who are a part of it. It's now time to sit back and enjoy the music.

Jay