Any Sansui speaker experts out there?

capo72

I know it's not Klipsch related, but I need help. I recently aquired a bunch of equipment and have been sorting through everything. I have a pair of Sansui s-57 speakers that are missing the woofers. They are a 3-way that have a cool tweeter deflecter, ala JBL.

What I need to know is what the impeadence of the original 12" woofers were, so I can find a suitable replacement. Is there a way to test the crossover to see what would give me an acceptable load, or is it going to really matter. Should I just go middle of the road with an 8 ohm driver and not worry about it. I'm sure they probably are not going to sound that good anyway, but if I can get them going on the cheap, i'm sure I can find a use for them. I have not been able to find any useful info on the internet so far, so I thought I would turn to the forum that I trust. Any help is appreciated.

Jeremy

i hope your expectations are low .....

multiple speakers, crappy crossovers,read that, single order, usually just a cap .. cheesy box .....

the japanese did not make quality speakers in the '70's ......

Nailed that on the Head, Dukester.............although many people bought them, there are many out there still.......they looked good.....3,4,5 way speakers...Coral was the best of that lot..........

Am I the only one to think this, or on that other site (I think it was Audiokarma?) where they seem to be in absolute LOVE with Yamaha HP-100 (or something close to that) and especially Radio Shack's "Mach One" speakers??

When I was probably 13 and Radio Shack was the ONLY place that had ANYTHING to do with electronics (near to me), I myself remember being awestruck with the sight of the Mach One's and their big woofer and cool horn...I admit I wanted a pair. I never got a pair and certainly never even THOUGHT of them after I discovered Klipsch several years later.

But c'mon...?? seems to me that SOMEONE isn't getting it... is it me? (are those speakers REALLY any good??) or is it them? (looking for a 'good' speaker at DIRT cheap prices, instead of spending more money on a GOOD speaker)??

[*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)] [*-)] [8-)]

They are cheaply built, but I got them for free, so if I can get them working for $20-30 they may work fine for playing music in my garage, or shed, or giving them away, or selling them. I'm not planning a 2-channel setup around them or anything. I have Cornwalls, RF-7's, JBL c-38's, plenty of decent stuff. I just want to get them going cheap with damaging anything. I guess I can wire up some 10", 8 ohm drivers i've got, to see what the final load will be. I just thought maybe some one might have advice other than throw them away. I registered at Audiokarma, but no one has responded there yet.

Jeremy

One of my sons (Invidiosulus on here) bought some Sansui SP-50 speakers off ebay to give to his younger brother to use at school. Cool wooden grill. DOn't sound very good (two way). Still, they are better than cheap computer speakers. So he was planning to take them back to college this fall. I let him take some JBL L-46 speakers instead. They actually sound great, especially when paired with an H/K amp.

I have to get the JBLs back to the original owners sometime, so I will be looking at using the boxes and replacing both the woofer and the tweeter.

Bruce