Veterans Please read this

oldbuckster

I will not go into a lot of detail with this...............Please take a minute with me on this...........

Gentlemen, I beg you, go get tested for Hepatitus C.......It is KILLING US slowly but surely, I can not stress this enough to you.......You owe it to yourself, you owe to it your Family.......Viet Nam era and after.........any of you that were shot with air guns.......I cannot tell you the long term silent damage it does to you......this is not a joke.....I am not causing a problem......It is causing me MAJOR problems, and the Veterans Administration turns it's backs on US. I served FAITHFULLY in Viet Nam, received an HONORABLE DISCHARGE.........thought I left the Battlefield when I came home in 1970.........2006 thought it was behind me, the WAR isn't over Brothers...IT'S JUST BEGUN, again...........Please I IMPLORE YOU....Get tested, the sooner you know the better, don't wait until an emergency arises, it's too late then.....GET TESTED................

AMY, and other Forum members, I don't mean to take over the Forum or cause any trouble, this is very important information I share here, and I could not forgive myself if I remain silent, I hope you understand why I did this.....HEPATITUS C KILLS.................

THERE ARE MANY VETERANS ON THIS FORUM...Thank You and God Bless You......

oldbuckster,

Thanks for the heads up and caring enough to tell others. I remember back to the old glass and metal syringes and can only trust that those were sterilized properly. Thank goodness for the current awareness of bloodborne pathogens which has made single use/disposable injections the norm.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the heads up, I don't remember if I ever had an air shot or not. I guess I will bring it up with my doc on my next visit.

OBTW, you sure are one TALKITIVE OB! Your post count is insane for the time you have been a member. There IS life outside of these boards[;)][:P][:P][:P]

First things first.........Cal we have written off this forum, you know where I come from, do not wait for periodiac doctor's visit, go now my friend, the earlier you know, the better off you are...........do it for your family

As far as talkitive, what can I say, I'll be gone for awhile..............alot of those posts are short answers, or mostly questions, this is the only forum I choose to be on.........I do have a life outside these forums, but there are some FINE people on here, Enough Said...........

Oldbuckster,

Thanks for the information. I am retired Air Force, and although this is the first time I have heard of this problem, you can well believe I am going to make a visit to WHMC (that's Wilford Hall Medical Center, for you civilians) and get tested. Won't cost me a penny, but it could certainly bring piece of mind or add years to my life.

I can only remember being shot once with the air-gun (I was overseas, then), but it only takes one time, doesn't it? I would have thought the problem to exist within the vaccine itself, not the gun, such as the tainted Anthrax vaccine's of the late 90s, but there you have it. One can never take their health for granted. Thanks again!

William

I got the the ole' air immunization gun treatment at Lackland AFB, TX back in 1983. Not really having any problems and don't spent much time at the doctors office. I got a physical last year and had not been to a doctor in 10 years so I guess all is well except for my love of greasy, fatty foods that keep my cholesteral numbers up.

I got the the ole' air immunization gun treatment at Lackland AFB, TX back in 1983. Not really having any problems and don't spent much time at the doctors office. I got a physical last year and had not been to a doctor in 10 years so I guess all is well except for my love of greasy, fatty foods that keep my cholesteral numbers up.

Don't be fooled, they will not check for it untill it shows itself, and then it's too late. A normal physical does not include a blood check for Hepatitus. It is a seperate Blood test, I am not making this up, the Veterans Adminisration will not call you in for testing, it's on you to find out. Let me put it another way.......It took them 30 years to admit Agent Orange use, never mind the health problems it causes.......Do you think they will come forward with this information? Do you as a Veteran realize the benefit cuts to Veteran's this adminisration has done? You served, you were given a Honorable Discharge, certain benefits were promised.......You kept your end of the deal, it's time they kept theirs, and that really isn't the point, Hepatitus C is running rampid in Veteran's of the Air Gun era............Do what you want, it's your life, don't you want to be tested to know for sure? Let me ask you this, If it was AIDS would you be tested? It's a simple Blood Test, the cost could probably be covered under insurance..................If one guy does it and finds they have it, I've done my job......The information is out there....find it....read it ....make your own judgement.....It's a Silent Killer that stays quiet for 5, 10, 20, 30 years then Boom, it's too late..........I SPEAK FROM PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE......I JUST FOUND OUT........I served for 1969 to 1971....it's just not Viet Nam Vets...it all Vet's of Air Guns......

THX for the heads up Rob, I'm hitting the big 50 in Oct. and I have a feb. '07 physical already set up, you know the one with my first Colonoscopy(sp) and I'll make sure I have myself tested as you know the airgun was all the rage then as it was slam bam thank you mam who's next!

I hope the best for you and I know there are a whole bunch of us here who feel the same[;)]

Very interesting. I was in the Army in the 70's and remember getting at least one or two of those air gun shots. I remember on one occasion somebody bleeding from the wound caused by not having the gun completely flush and not moving when the medic shot him. But I had no idea that there was an epidemic of Hep C going around in the ranks of those shot though. If someone has Hep C is there anyway to connect it to a shot they got 30 years ago?

Very interesting. I was in the Army in the 70's and remember getting at least one or two of those air gun shots. I remember on one occasion somebody bleeding from the wound caused by not having the gun completely flush and not moving when the medic shot him. But I had no idea that there was an epidemic of Hep C going around in the ranks of those shot though. If someone has Hep C is there anyway to connect it to a shot they got 30 years ago?

Would the amount of people infected happen to be the Air Gun early stage era Vets make you think there might be a problem?Think about yourself....Tatoo's got any?....IV drug user share a needle?....Handled bloody items or wounded comrade? If you answer NO to all of those.....What do you have in common with everyone?...........Air Guns......If you were ARMY...remember being lined up for shots....anyone wipe your air before or after shot?Lined up like cattle, and pushed through a room, and getting shot in both arms at once..........Everyone has to get together for this battle......They know about the problem but refuse to own up to it........File a claim with the VA...make them take care of Us.....

Buckster,

One of my close friends is a vet and is currently undergoing chemo. He has Hep A, B, & C. He thinks he got it in Korea. Anyway, the VA is treating him but it is very excruciating to endure. You are correct in your advice to get tested. To catch it now is better than waiting! The choices narrow as you wait.

Buckster,

One of my close friends is a vet and is currently undergoing chemo. He has Hep A, B, & C. He thinks he got it in Korea. Anyway, the VA is treating him but it is very excruciating to endure. You are correct in your advice to get tested. To catch it now is better than waiting! The choices narrow as you wait.

That's all I'm trying to do, make Veterans aware of what is going on, and how important it is to know EARLY, it's very serious, and a silent killer, and they should make it right for Veterans that served, Honorably and otherwise, we did our Duty, they should honor theirs.