Cleaning

BetterWithAge

What is the best way to clean speakers? Is there a way? I just recently rescued my husband's 1984 vintage Heresy speakers from the basement and hooked them up to our little sound system in the living room. Amazing what they do for a low watt stereo! When I pulled the covers off of them I can see that they're completely covered with dust. Being a complete neophyte in the sound system arena I have no idea what the best way is to clean them or if I should even attempt it. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

First of all, thank you. Thank you for being a woman who understands speakers and how they are so important... can you have a talk with my mom.... Smile.gif

Ok... what part of the speakers are you trying to clean? the wood, the cones (just felt like asking.. LoL!) the finish, the covers... like a heavy cleaning, like taking grime off or just dust and such

don't use the spray waxes... they often dry the wood out. the liquids are the best. you might want to getr some mink oil and olightly oil the surrounds on the speakers to keep them from cracking and to make sure they work the best they can.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Hi Justin. Thank you for your answer to my cleaning question! Actually, the boxes for the speakers are fine as are the covers. It's when I pulled the front covers (panels) off that I find a rather thick coat of dust on everything. The parts I'm referring to are the (I'm going out on a limb here) tweeter, woofer, and subwoofer - or WHATEVER those three parts are that actually project the sound. If that big one on the bottom is called the cone, then it's covered in dust and I don't want to touch it. Again, suggestions? Thanks!

Dang I wish you could be able to talk to my wife. Just kidding she's a gooder.

I suggest using your vacuum cleaner on a low setting and using a soft round brush to carefully vacuum the dust away.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

what about getting a can of air and blowing that into the horn, being careful not to shake the can while spraying. that would get whawt the other two didn't.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I use an electrolux vacuum for such things. The end attachment brush is made of non-scratching, soft horsehair - perfect for delicate cleaning of electronics, furniture, curtains, etc. It is worthwhile to track down one of these end pieces (available at electrolux shops), even if you don't use their vacs (assuming that it fits your vac). This really works!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Here is what I think should be done to clean the drivers.

For the tweeter and midrange use compressed air,the dust will be forced out.Make sure you are in a well ventilated area.Or else you may eat your share of dust.

For ant larger cone driver use a brush or vaccum cleaner with soft brush.Never use only the hose as it may eat more then dust.The brush is great to clean in hard to reach areas and will not damage your drivers(in this case the woofer,or bass unit).

All should be well.

Oh and dont use Mink Oil in the sourrounds,I know I recomended this for some drivers,these must have rubber or thick foam sourrounds(well the thing that suspends the cone and lets the cone move.On older speakers this was made from flexible cloth or folded paper covered with resine.So Mink Oil is NOT recomended here.

Hope it helps,now your speakers should be almost as good as new. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears