i-Fi volume control malfunction

ape #3

Get a good magnifying glass and some good light

and look at the pins real close. It’s a small slot with super small pins. Does the jack feel loose on the board?

http://www.justwebspace.com/G2/albums/ifidock/normal_iFiDock011.JPG

If you don’t find

anything bent or loose the pins may just need a cleaning. A good (plastic safe) contact

cleaner or deoxIT with the right brush would be ideal, but alcohol and an acid brush

might work.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How's it going fellow ifi owners,

I wanted to check in too as I've had mine for a year now. These things have gotten the police called on my apartment parties more than once, the cops came to the door saying "we can here that from the middle of the street" I let my friends borrow them and they got an eviction warned the first night.

But anyways, mine too started popping again recently after I replaced the capacitors in December however I found out that when I turned the computer volume down to 75 percent and turned the ifi up to compensate the popping diaapeared.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if other Klipsch products suffer the same problem as iFi? In specific, what about the Promedia 2.1? I loved the sound when I sampled some at Best Buy. They blew away any other speaker in the price range. BUT I am still bitter about the lack of quality in the $500 ifi I purchased when it first came out!

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am new to this site. I bought a ifi (at a second hand store)and it dose not have the docking station. I used the line input and no sound? do you need to have the docking station hooked up to work? Or do I have another problem?

Thanks pappers1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi!

Can anyone please provide the firmware for iFi dock ? I think there is a  problem  in freescale chip, it looses firmware for some reason. All components inside it were tested and they are all ok. Buying a new dock is not the answer, old ones can be repaired by reflashing the firmware again.

Thanks!

After reading many posts about iFi system I opened the docking stations and subwoofer.

I replaced all capacitors with audio grade specs before it got broken, also changed in Amp section. I also reflowed lm1973 and put some new solder. Solder on this boards is very low quality, they must get  broken with vibration from Subwoofer.

PCBs still had flux residues, they were not cleaned. I gave all the boards an ultrasonic cleaning.

In docking station I replaced the flat cable for a new and better one. Guess what now all works as it should.

The things I want to point are:

Klipsch did a good job in designing this system, I would only  change a small thing in the flat cable section of the dock. would put everything on a single board or would be making the conections with idc connectors(no flat wires), just need to extend board a bit.

The problem with this system is that quality control is very very poor. This was assembled in China,I am sure with cheap components. The PSU is ok but not the best, capacitors used here are very low quality, ics are low quality ( I also replaced them)

It's a real shame that a company like Klipsch does this sort of things to their costumers. These are not a cheap set of computer/ipod speakers.

Pointing this, and if you are a bit more careful , you could put this system back in production, because this has a great sound! I have promedia 2.1 and it never got broken. I have it since 2002. Playing every day.

I will post pics soon to show what I did.

Cheers to all!

Edited by Marmes

• 6 years later...