Selling a pair of modded Split Industrial La Scala's

lar418

I'm going to be selling my split Industrial La Scala's because they are just too big for my listening room. They sound excellent, but they really need a nice size room to sound as good as they could. I paid $1250 for these a few years ago and have put over $500 into them. They have been repainted recently and look pretty good, but are more of a basement speaker do to their industrial look. I've made the following modifications to these speakers: (New BEC tweeter, dampened squawker horn, new slightly modded DHA2 crossover with BEC oil caps, Reality Cable internal wiring, Edison Price copper binding posts, braced base bin, new BEC 15" woofer, added the grill cloth and DJK bass bin mod.) I'd like to offer these to Forum members before I list them on Audiogon or Ebay. I live near Chicago and these are just too big to ship, so I'm looking for a local buyer. I'd like to get at least my initial investment or $1250 for them. I can be reached via email at lar.leggett@sbcglobal.net

I can send additional photos of the speakers, crossover, binding posts, etc. if you email me.

Thanks,

Larry

post-13315-13819310965006_thumb.jpg

You did a great job of cleaning those up. Industrials can and do look.... indutrial. But also built like a tank too. Besides black always hides well.

I am interested in the mods you did? The height issue of having a base to put them on helps.. I always felt one of the keys to K horns was the mids and highs were, in fact, off of the ground some. This gives them a MUCH bigger sound coming at you.

I assume you feel they go lower...if so, by how much IYO? (Or have you tested them?) La Scalas have a excellent bass down to about 53 Htz or so. + - Some of that, of course, is your room and placement too.

They do look pretty cool to be honest. I want to know more about the sound after all of these mods and was it worth it? In your basement with block walls, pretty harsh I bet .. outside... or in a "real world room" I bet they are not bad at all? Might even be incredible.. Let us know?

The DJK mod does help increase the low bass output. It is pretty solid down to about 35hz. This is my second attempt with this mod. The first time I tried it with a total rear volume of 4.8 cu-ft and I was using a newer K-33 woofer. I got some lower bass, but I wasn't totally happy with the results. Next I made the rear volume 6 cu-ft, similar to the Cornwall volume. The bass got deeper, but I had a loss of bass around 50hz. Finally, I tried BEC's new woofer which has a lower FS. The 50 hz dip in response disappeared and I achieved strong bass to about 35hz. I had to reduce the squawker output by 2.4 db's due to the reduced output of the bass horn with this mod. I test it with a stereophile test CD and also a few Telarc CD's to confirm the bass response. I prefer this over a few subwoofers that I've tried. The bass is tighter and faster with this mod compared to using subs that produced a slow, warmer and somewhat tubby sounding bass.

The DHA2 crossover allowed me to easily adjust the attenuation and crossover frequencies as I made other modifications. It also sounds excellent at lower to mid listening levels. I'm using Bob's oil cap and I was very impressed how good they sounded compared to Hovland caps. Actually, I like the the oil caps better.

The side braces helped tighten up the bass and reduced the side wall vibrations.

The BEC tweeter really sweetened up the upper frequencies and added some nice realism. I was also able to lower the crossover point to about 4500 hz which blended better with the squawker. The DHA2 has a true bandpass filter on the squawker.

Dampening the metal squawker horns with rope caulk and then duct tape helped reduce the ring and really deadened these horns.

These speakers do sound better off the ground. The 12" high base puts the tweeter above ear level though. I tried flipping the upper section to get the tweeter at ear level, but it sounded closed in with the tweeter below the squawker. Also tried these with the squawker and tweeter in the vertical position and it sounded different, but a little disconnected from the bass horn.

Hope this helps, Larry