Newly acquired Cornwall Is

hifiguy

Just got two pre '85 Cornwalls on Ebay.

191072 & 191073 oiled walnut. I am going to try to drive them with a refurbished 500C (trying to see what this tube thing is about).

The speakers need grilles - from PWK or DIY?

What is with the "new" ALK crossovers and why? Costs?

I have the older Speakerbuilder article on reinforcing the Cornwalls internally and the port path modification.

I have not SEEN them in person yet but expect a woofer replacement - maybe with Eminence.

My need for education is showing.

Costs?

Thanks.

Congrats on the purchase! Smile.gif You'll love em! How did you ship them and how were they packaged?

I was quoted $550 for the pair of alk cornwall crossovers. That's what I just paid for my mint 1980 cornwalls speakers! Smash.gif

I guess if you paid over $1000 for your cornwalls then $550 for a couple of well designed crossovers doesn't seem so bad. I've heard nothing but good things about them from those who have purchased the units. Unfortunately they are way out of my price range.

I have not heard too many cornwall owners complaining about how terrible their stock speakers sound Smile.gif You'll be the judge soon enough.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Congrats on your purchase!! I have Cornwalls from the same year and love them. They are completely stock. I would recommend that you live with them for a bit before you dive in and modify them.

I have a Fisher 500B that I was trying out with the Cornwall but it is having some problems so my review of tubes and Cornwalls will have to wait. I would be interested in hearing your opinion though.

bye,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ALL for your responses and INFO!

Speakers are on their way via UPS (really JUST over the size limit but I got a GREAT UPS guy to adjust).

Shipping via old Cornwall boxes I had when we got a set for my son also used about 5 or six years ago. GLAD I kept them!

Both Cornwalls and an about to be refurbished Fisher 500C are on their way now.

Cornwall mods (structural, port path, and woofer replacements)and Fisher fixes will probably be done in late December pending the Holiday concerns elsewhere..... maybe January.

I'll let you know....

Crossovers are still on my wait and see list.

On the issue of sharing (posting) the older Speaker Builder Article on Cornwall "IMPROVEMENTS".... as long as ..

1. I can get a scanner to catch the mag. images

2. As long as no copyrights are infringed on

... no problem.

First I need a source to a good scanner and then council.

Any takers on advice?

Ready to ...share / try.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

OK .... OK.

So I am a little slow in starting my project.

Well it is moving ahead now.

1. Refinishing of 19T072 and 19T073 (RB-WS) using a water base stripper and 400 steel wool CAREFULLY beginning. End result will either be a natural wood wiping stain .. or if not acceptable results - clad.

2. Internal bracing and port lenght modifications from Speakerbuilder article previously listed is underway. Advise if you too want scans.

3. All internal wiring is being replaced with heavy guage oxygen free wire. STANDARD CROSSOVER is being retained. New bananas jacks on the back are being added.

4. Fisher 500C just finished being rebuilt with Fisher Doctor parts and guidance. We will see soon.

5. SMALL tear in woofer was successfully repaired with carefully applied liquid rubber adhesive (thanks).

My question and need for help is as follows:

WHERE CAN I BUY FROM KLIPSCH OR WHOM EVER A PAIR OF SPEAKER CLOTHS AND BACKER BOARD(S)?

LMK and thanks for all your previous help...hifiguy

Mike:

NO BACKER BOARDS OR OEM CLOTH IS AVAILABLE per Klipsh just now on the 800 line!

They are too old, won't do a special, etc.

It's a different company now. I hope they let this post....

ALL others reading this, please HELP!!

Backer boards are just good ole masonite, which is avaiable from Home Depot. Just cut a woofer hole and a squawker/tweeter rectangle and your ready to apply the grill cloth (should be able to find black weave cloth online). Use spray glue on the front of the masonite to secure the bulk of the cloth. Use contact cement to adhere the rear edges. Velcro strips, which are used to hold the grills on, are available at Radio Shack and can be cut to match the originals exactly. Klipsch logos are available from Klipsch. You should be able to make a perfect set.

Regards,

Andy

P.S. email me the Cornwall scans - if it's not a problem.

Let me suggest you use Scotchbright type pads, from HD, instead of steelwool. I get worried about the steel getting into the drivers.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 07-31-2002 at 07:58 PM

hifiguy,

Congrats on the Cornwalls! I too recently bought some 1977 Oiled Walnut cornwalls and they are perfectly stock as far as I can tell. I would be very interested in the plans for the internal bracing. Please mail to mace@mac.com. I'm interested if you really hear a difference with the bracing installed.

What crossover network do you have? I've got type B. Just curious.

What type of jacks are you installing on the back for wire connection? That is one thing I've been meaning to change out since the corroded steel and screws just don't seem to be optimal. It was recommended on this board to use Cardaas binding posts and not bananas since they would sound better, tighter seal with the wood etc.

Please comment on if changing the internal wiring has made any difference in sound quality!

As you can tell, I've been debating on updating a few items as well my Cornwalls so I'm interested in how you fare.

Thanks!

Mace

• 11 months later...

Congrats on purchase. I'll send you specs on building Cornwall I speaker grill boards from my dimensions. For woofers, don't replace, if your fixes don't work, have your baskets reconed (old pa guys use clear fingernail polish to fix tears, you don't want anything flexible and heavy, you want hard and light like woofer cone material. Look for a local electronics repair company that works on guitar and pa amps and speakers, they can get a recone kit and do the work for about 1/2 what a new woofer will cost you.

----------------

On 7/31/2002 8:45:00 AM hifiguy wrote:

1. Refinishing of 19T072 and 19T073 (RB-WS) using a water base stripper and 400 steel wool CAREFULLY beginning. End result will either be a natural wood wiping stain .. or if not acceptable results - clad.

----------------

I'm really interested in how this turned out. I recently bought a pair of Cornwalls (1976 CDBR), and the finish is less than desirable. They had a bad stain job done (it isn't as bad as all of that, but I would be interested in how your refinish turned out, and how you went about it.)

care to share??

Thanks,

Forrest