Cone on Tweeter

JMCMAN

I noticed on my Heresy's a small cone that covers the tweeter screen. My question is if I am placing a K-77 or CT-125 in a wood horn that I made for my Khorn project do I need to have a cone covering the screen on the K-77 driver? I have attached a picture ( I hope the attachment works ) so you can see what I am asking about. Thanks

post-22099-13819311003806_thumb.jpg

Not knowing the design of the horn....yes....the dome or phase plug would take on a bullet shape as the horn throat lenth increases.

That little dome is a phase plug. Its purpose is to provide the correct polar response in a radius to the front of the tweeter. If you look closely, you will notice the slight curve on both sides of the gap. This curve acts like a mini horn. The frequency range is 3500hz 16KHZ. The phase plug results in a wide sound pattern.

The phase plug caps the diaphragm dome. There is a small gap between the diaphragm dome and the phase plug.

Putting this in yet another horn would result in wave harmonics along the path of the horn as the wide sound patterns bounce off the sides of the horn closest to the tweeter driver. This would result in loss of high frequency waves.

Drivers used in horn tweeters that have longer horn necks, have phase plugs that are bullet shaped.