'73' Cornwalls

tom b. 57

I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of '73' Cornwalls. They have the vertical horns and are all original components. One owner. The owner worked for a company here in Tacoma back in the '70's' that designed and manufactured their own line of speakers. In fact, I bought my Marantz 2275 from the store where he worked back in '75'. Anyway, he wants $800 for the pair. The cabinets look like they are in good shape. I offered $700 for them and he said he wanted to wait a week or so to see if he can get what he wants for them. My dilemma is, when will I get the opportunity to grab a pair of these vertical horn speakers in this shape again. I was just wondering what you guys think. Should I jump on them and pay the $800 or sit it out for a week and take a chance. How good of a deal is this? I will pick up. He is omly about 30 miles away. I am attempting to put some pictures up. I have limited computer skills, but I think I can do this. My gut is telling me to jump on them, but, my brain is saying,"where the hell you going to put them?" I think I got Klipschitus. You guys know what I mean? Oh, I forgot to mention, he has a couple of external peizoelectric tweeters encased in cabinets that sit on top of the Cornwalls and can be hooked up externally to the back of the Cornwalls to enhance the highs. He explained to me that when he was designing speakers he noticed that the Cornwalls had some holes in the high end and designed a crossover with the peizoelectric tweeters to fill the voids. He says it helped a great deal. The cymbals and such have a more realistic presence. So he says. I have no reason to doubt him. I am familiar with some of the speakers they designed way back then and some were pretty impressive. Well I was unsuccessful getting the pictures added I may try later.

You guys have reinforced my gut feelings on this matter. I will call him at 7:00 AM Pacific Standard Time and hope to heck he hasn't sold them or promised them to someone else. He works during the day so I hope to arrange a time after he gets off work for pick-up. Send positive vibes my way. I doubt I will get much sleep tonight, or should I say, this morning. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input. I think these speakers will go good with my '75' Cornwalls that have the K43 woofers. I have been very happy with them.

Tom

Yee Haw! The '73s' are mine. I have arranged to pick them up after 7:00PM Pacific. Now I can deal with the anticipation. I will certainly update you guys on my thoughts and feelings surrounding this purchase tonight. Feel like a junkie waiting for that fix I know is coming. I believe I'm exagerating a little. But, you know what I mean.

Tom

Well as fate would have it, I must wait one more day to take possession of my new acquisition. The seller called me and asked if we could do the deal tomorrow sometime after noon. I guess when they agreed to tonight, they had forgotten about something that had already been planned for the evening. So, reluctantly, I agreed to wait until tomorrow. After thinking about it, I realized that tomorrow might be a better day after all. Being Friday and all. My neighbors are not going to like me tomorrow. I guess this will be a good way to kick off the weekend.

Tom