LF-10 or KSW-15 (need answer asap)

trachselbj

trach, have u read this thread? http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000750.html (minus the sub wars talk there're some good choices there Smile.gif).

if it's down to just those 2, that's a tough one. the lf-10 imho is the more powerful, better sounding for both music & HT, but it's had those production/reliability problems. i'd make it easy on myself for around that price & get something else that gives reliability & great bass on all material.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12,

Yeah, I read that thread and took a lot to heart. In fact, just before I new Klipsch was again an option, I was on the phone about to buy a Velodyne FSX-12II BV. It cost $599.00, but that's half of what you'd have paid for it a month ago. As for the SVS's, I haven't looked at any of those. Still wondering, LF-10 or KSW-15, or just wait and check into the SVS's first? Or for that matter, has anyone heard the Velodyne?

Decisions, decisions.... boa12, did you read the thread posted earlier today about using coaxial cable to connect a subwoofer? How do you manage that? And what about wires? I don't want to drop a lot of cash wiring this system if I can avoid it. Do you use the infamous "Monster Cable?"

Hey - a better sub would probably be the Velodyne SPL1200. Onecall.com has them for $749, factory refurbished. Full factory warranty. I picked one up a few weeks ago and I absolutley love it! A great sub, especially for that price. It is more powerful than the KSW15, LF10 and the FSX12. This sub sits pretty high on the Tom Nousaine list!

Bryan

Bryan, is onecall.com an authorized dealer? I visited the site once tonight but didn't see anything stating that they were. I'll check it out again, though.

boa12, just looked at the SVS subs and I have to say though they may sound good, that's an awfully strange beast to have sitting in the corner. Talk about footprint! I'm going to check out the Paridigms tomorrow. Everything said in the dozen or so reviews this evening sounded good. I guess I'll have to sleep on it another night. Appreciate all the input, folks. If you come up with anything more, please let me know. Sorry about the SVS's, boa12. I know they're a favorite of many in this forum.

yea trach i use a 12 ft. monsterbass 400 cable but can't really say I could tell a dif between that & a radio shack 75omh video cable. just want shielding especially for longer runs. i'd be afraid of my own craftsmanship clamping on my own rca plugs Smile.gif

yea that vel spl looks great 2. haven't heard that line yet. & no complaints on my vel hgs. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Let me cut this talk a bit here.

The Klipsch KSW15 while no world beater is a proven, solid and inexpensive.The LF-10 is problematic(long story)and its claims are grotesque as I had this VERY unit(ok another LF-10,still an LF-10)at home and compared it to the Sunfire Mark II,no contest,not even close...the Mark II stomped a bass hole in the LF-10.

The LF-10 is tempting because it look mean,it "looks"like it can outperform many.Well it cant.

So if you want a very inexpensive sub the KSW15 is THE BEST choice,if you are ready to spend around $650 then get a SVS or HSU and each of these will leave the LF-10 in the sub bass dust.

If you need(want) a tiny sub(not just footprint,most cylinder subs take very little space on the floor but stand out like towers above the landscape)Velodyne SPL1000 and Sunfire Mark II would fit,and if you get them from a glorified distributor(E-shop)you can get then around $750...maybe less.

Hope it helps

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR(s) Now theears

No that's no help ear Biggrin.gif

why you keep bringing those damn sunfires into an AFFORDABLE sub discussion. you can't get any of those for less than a cleveland (that US$1K).

2nd many other subs even less than $500 put the ksw in the dust. talk about nonmusical, that's any KSW.

the lf-10 blows away the KSW but does have problems but maybe you can get a good one for 400.

But you can get a Velo or svs or paradigm and they leave the KSW behind. The HSU or Svs take up less floor space than the KSW and can be had for the same price. The KSW may be the best value at $300 or less with full warranty from a Klipsch authorized dealer.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Well gentlemen, it looks like I've momentarily lost the opportunity to buy the LF-10, so now it's between the KSW-15 and Velodyne FSX-12 IIBV. The first is going to cost about $425.00 to $450.00 and the Velodyne exactly $599.00. Both prices include shipping costs. I'm giving myself until Friday to decide. That's when the Quintets, RSC-1, and receiver should have completed their long journey from ubid.com. Your input's always appreciated Ear as well as yours forrest.

$650 is too much for the LF10 anyway, they were going for $450 on uBid last year when the BBSrs like me were sucking them up,

anything that makes music better will make movies great; they both require good reprodcution of the middle and lower bass notes (down to 25 Hz.)

I love my LF10, I do not drive it like a teenager, but I would look for clearance subs, Canadian made or Net offerings with better values than retail dealerships -

the better unit you get, the more powerful and solid your system will sound ...

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

"No that's no help ear why you keep bringing those damn sunfires into an AFFORDABLE sub discussion."

What do you know about help,and besides the LF-10 was priced at the same level the "damn" Sunfire Mark II.When two subs are priced at the same level you cannot ignore the "damn" competition.

Again to put MORE hurt on ya THE "DAMN" SUNFIRE MARK II stomps a " damn" sub bass hole in the LF-10. cwm3.gif

If you know how to look around you should know better,the "damn" Sunfire Mark II can be had for well under a "damn" grand.And still outperform the leaky,squeaky LF-10(Colin dont take it personal here I am driecting this at FH).

LOL cubed

trachselbj,

If your sub will serve 75% for music and only 25% HT,then take the Velodyne.You will not regret your purchase.

I dont want to confuse you but why not get an SVS? The SVS will outperform them both hands down? WHY OH WHY and besides TV I am sure can give you some good advice on how to set his sub to get the maximum out of it.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

more sub wars cwm13.gif

where did these lf-10 on ubid come from? klipsch or ubid just now find some laying around?

anyway, nice thing 'bout ubid w/ klipsch is u get full warranty even an extended warranty if u want on the lf-10. I wouldn't pay more than $500 total for it though. I think that'd be great though soundwise w/ quintets & music. just chancey on the problems.

if you're going to pay around $600 or more & buy blind/deaf, i'd really look into an svs though.

better musical sub value than the others.

------------------

My Home Systems Page