LF-10 or KSW-15 (need answer asap)

trachselbj

Thanks "theEar," and "boa12," not to mention "colin," "dougdrake," "bacevedo" and, of course, "foresthump." You guys are a big help. I really appreciate the rumble. You've got it right, boa12. I've been bidding on LF-10's since yesterday afternoon. It seems that you can snag one for around $560.00, plus a ubid luxary tax, sometimes called shipping, of about $65.00. I've also got the first bid on the KSW-15 since I'm waiting for a consensus on which way to go, LF-10 or KSW-15. That auction ends Thursday. I didn't want to spend this much to begin with, but now that I'm in the thick of things it doesn't seem to matter as much anymore. I just want to get the best deal for the money. There's also the Velodyne FSX-12II BV looming in the background. A $599.00 purchase. I do know a couple things. First, the Sunfire's appear to be too expensive and the SVS, well, no offense, is just plain ugly. I know, I know, it sounds great. It's just that it would always be in plain view and a constant reminder to my wife of the money I spent. You see, this all started with the idea of upgrading from a Promedia 4.1 system to a 5.1. Don't say anything, but I've already exceeded the $399.00 cap that was placed on me. Still deciding.... I hope we can reach a consensus soon. Thanks fellas.

Thanks "boa12." If the price comes down a bit, I'll probably snag one. If not, the KWS-15 and Velodyne are both waiting in the wing.

Hey "theEar," will you still advise me on how to set up the Quintets and sub regardless of which way this thing goes. Sorry about the SVS. I'm sure it's a great sub. If it only wasn't so tall, and expensive!

Ear, Show me where you can buy any new Sunflower sub for under 1000. ok then stifle.

DON'T BUY A KSW for anything but all HT use only. Even if its just 100 $.

And if I was you Id get different opinions on set up.

Like the manuals for starters, Smile.gif

------------------

go forth & hump the world

This message has been edited by forresthump on 11-20-2001 at 06:16 PM

Thanks Forest. I think a Velodyne dealer I spoke with last night may have been making the same point; however, he came down pretty hard on all Klipsch products, not just their subs. He told me that a lot of people on a budget buy a higher quality 8" or 10" sub to start, then later add a second 8" or 10." He said the sound coming from two smaller subs is better than a single 15 or 18 inch sub. In other words, smaller drivers equates to better sound. He also mentioned that subs should be as far away from the listening area as possible, so space becomes less of an issue. I know placement is another topic, but do agree with this philosophy? One more thing, according to him demos, subs that've been used, cost less and are actually preferable to a new one because they've been broken in. I forgot to ask him how two subs could be connected to a single receiver if there's only one sub-out.

*smaller driver ---> better sound* = bullshit!

both his placement suggestion and his *demo is better than new* comments are are warming flags to his ignorance of the subject matter(imo)

I'd look for a new dealer.

the *ksw* series is fine down to about 32-35hz. If you optimize it's location/calibration in the system...there's no reason I can think of why they shouldn't perform well on most music for you(music that stays >30hz of course).

TV

my LF10 is not one of the leaky ones, my understanding was that the leaky problems were more a matter of quality control on the production run that with individual models,

the Sunfire models at the same price are significant, IMO, it was Bob Carver who found a home for his high power amps, and created the small sub-woofer with the huge power amps style that so many woofer makers try to make today, Klipsch among them, so they definitely should be considered -

any sub will be considered ugly by little miss sensitive ears and the SVS footprint is not that much larger than the "small foot print" ones, besides, the larger tubes are more impressive to the guys, so that negates the wifey objections -

beside what really matters in the long run is the quality of the sound; buy the biggest and best for the money ...

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

When it comes to sub bass I agree a larger driver(provided it has a potent magtecic structure and matching voice coil)is better then a smaller one.(Still I like the high-tech Sunfire subs,dyn-O-mite in a tiny cube).

Like my HGS-18 too,huge driver mated to a powerful amp in a mid size box,like a giant Sunfire. LOL

TV,

So when are we going to see your Super Ultra SVS(the pic you posted with the 4 or 5 driver sub and the 12" port)?And how much?

It its priced no more then 4K I may look into it. Smile.gif

This sub would fit nice and snug in a corner of my larger room.I am sure a Carver TFM-75 would provide plenty of juice to power the beast up.

How about it TV?Will this prototype ever be sold?I am sure some audiophiles would buy these monster subs from you.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

It's amazing that somebody representing Velodyne could provide such bogus information. Well, FedEx delivery just stopped by to drop off 2, not 4 as expected, Quintets from uBid. So now here I sit on the phone. I've already held for over a half hour listening to the same recording over and over. FedEx swears Ubid only shipped one box, so there's really no alternative. I've still got bids on both the KSW-15, "reserve met," and a nonqualifying bid on an LF-10. There not having much success selling those puppies. I read somwhere, either in this forum or another, that the LF-10's biggest problem and the reason they were pulled had to do with patent infringement. In any case, if they come down a bit I'm going to snag one of those. If things get too expensive with the KSW-15, I may be forced to anyway. At any rate, while I'm waiting for the auction to end, I'm going to check out those Sunfires and take one more look at the SVS's that seem to be getting so much praise. Thanks again for all the advice.