Talk about Soundstage, 3D Imaging and etc....

ChrisK

Last night I took my 12yo son to The Jazz Bakery to hear Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. We're talkin' 18 pieces in a pretty small venue. They barely fit on the stage. Our seats were dead center, right down front. In a word, WOW! Those guys have some serious horsepower!

Every time I finally get the hall pass to go hear live music I'm reminded of what most of us are trying to do here. Aren't we trying to, as closley as possible, re-create a live music experience? If so, last night was a fantastic reference point. I bought their latest cd on the way out and when we got home threw it on my system, cranked it up a bit and listened. I have to admit I was pretty pleased even if it didn't come close to being there. Most of the evening we were sitting about 3 feet from Eric Marienthal and even listening to the cd I could pick out his Sax. I'm not sure where many of these players stand in the jazz music hierarchy, but to me they sounded great!

Moral of this story....GO HEAR LIVE MUSIC!

Get their DVD-A disc Swingin' For the Fences... it is one of my favorites and sounds great in 5.1. Would really like to see them live myself.

Mike

I don't have my HT set up these days or I would have bought all of them. Not to mention I'm nervous about putting DualDisc's in my cd/sacd player. I wish they did vinyl or SACD....

It's always good to hear live music. It reminds us that much of what we hear in recorded music are artificial things. Much of what the public perceives as "great sound" are actually hi-fi effects. As one reviewer said about the Dahlquist DQ-10s, 30+ years ago..."this is not going to make the hi-fi hounds happy"

As far as soundstage and imaging...I attended a symphony concert two weeks ago. I tried to sort out the visual clues from the auditory cues to determine imaging. With eyes closed (I was in the near field) the imaging became much less "precise".

With conventional speakers, much of what we perceive as imaging is due to beaming of the upper midrange. Many systems that use a cone midrange and a dome tweeter have a marked narrowing of dispersion at the upper end of the midrange, followed by a fairly wide dispersion of the tweeter at the lower end its range. That transition is largely responsible for our "imaging" cues.

Bottom line... imagaing is one of many factors, and must take a backseat to low distortion, smooth response and transient response. Better low-distortion mono with "no imaging" than mediocre stereo with "imaging".

Listening to live music really brings me back to reality. When I used to own mini-monitors, I made excuses about their limited dynamic range and small soundstage. Moving into horn speakers brought me much closer to live music and made me realise there's lots of over priced designer rubbish on the market...

In my experience, it should be smaller venues, mostly acoustical instruments (ie, NOT run through PA systems), in order to be a good frame of reference.

Saw Steve Howe in one man show in very small hall (old movie theatre) and also Carl Palmer (from ELP) band in a venue so small that I was hearing his stage sound, NOT the pa system. Both were incredible experiences.

Michael