Projector reccomendations.

PhilMays

I have really been toying with a projector. I know just enough to be dangerious.

I have heard the LCD has issues and DLP may be better.

I have thought about doing ebay and getting a good used one, perhaps in the $1,000 range and less is always better.

Is this a realistic price range or should I pony up mopre money. What should I be looking for in a unit and are there any brands to stay away from.

As always.....Thanks for the help!

Phil

Phil-

As with any technology, there are positives and negatives and the same it true with LCD and DLP. The question you have to ask yourself is which positives and negatives you can live with. DLPs tend to have problems with "rainbows" but are better with blacks. Rainbows are a result due to a color wheel spinning in front of the little mirrors on the DLP chip. Due to the spinning wheel, the colors red, blue, and green, are displayed at slightly different times. So during fast action this differences in display times can make the subject trail like a "rainbow". The rainbows create eye fatigue and may cause some to become dizzy. The faster the color wheels, the less of a problem this is. So you need to determine if you or anyothers may be sensitive. LCDs don't have the "rainbow" problem, but don't have nearly as dark blacks and may have a "screendoor" effect. The "screendoor" effect is a result of the pixel structure of LCDs (larger areas of black between the colored pixels).

HOWEVER, I would encourage you to really THINK about do you really WANT or NEED a projector! Projectors are great if you want a big image and are best in a light controlled room with high quality video/DVD sources. Standard TV isn't great on a HUGE screen. But if you are paying for a $4000 projector (or even a $1000), you must consider the cost of having to replace a bulb every few years. This is not a $20 bulb, most bulbs cost $300 - $400. Furthermore, heat kills bulbs and dramatically shortens their lives, to combat this problem manufactures have to put fans in the projectors. As we all know, loud sounds, like fans, are annoying during quiet movie scenes. So manufactures try and balance acceptable levels of heat with quiet operation, some manufactures haven't done a good job doing this balance so bulbs fail early. So do some homework to determine which models have more of a problem.

I have owned a projector for 3 years when the bulb finally died (during my superbowl party...DOH), it made me seriously think about BULB life. My next display is going to be a Plasma, even if it is smaller. I may get another projector if i build a dedicated room and I will only use it for DVDs, HDDVD/Blueray, or HD only to save bulb time.

As for specific recomendations I would suggest that you read www.avsforum.com as they will have the most detailed information.

-DrPyro

One part of the equasion, too, that must be considered is the screen. Don't buy a 5000 dollar projector on a 50 dollar screen. Often times projectorcentral and avsforums is a great place to start.

I am extreemly happy with mine. regular tv sucks.. digital is acceptable.. HDTV and DVD's ... OMG drop dead incredible.

I will issue on warning though.... you will find yourself watching stuff late into the night just because it is on HDTV. Trust me. hahahahahahaha

Phil,

I have a Benq DLP 720p projector. I love It. My screen is 80 inches wide and 45 inches high. It's great for dvd's and HD. Most digital TV is viewable. Some local cahnnnels (CBS) is a little ruff. But now I have all local channels in HD so that is much better now. Dipyro is right about bulb price, and the heat issue. My projector is just above my head and I haven't been bothered by the fan noise. Mine is a DLP, they have raised the speed of the color wheel so I have never seen the rainbow effect. (Not I or anyone that has ever viewed my set up has seen a rainbow effect. I think some people are a lot more sensitive to the effect.) I don't use it for daily TV watching since it is set up in my basement.

All very interesting....I do use this for regular TV when the wife is on a Oprah or Dr. Phil kick on DVR, or the kids are on a never ending Spongebob DVR kick.

Perhaps I would be better off with a flat panel DLP or plasma.

Maybe, a screen that drops down in front of the flat panel...the best of both worlds!

You need to decide what you are going to do with this setup.
If you are going to use it 90% for TV, there are less expensive ways to go for
long life. The bulb in our PJ costs about $300 and it is rated to go 2000
hours. That doesnt mean that it will MAKE it to 2000 hours either! We have a
LCD projector and view it on a 119 screen. Our viewing position is about 24
feet from the screen and there is no screen door effects that are visible at
that distance. At 18 feet from the screen you have to look but they are visible.
The projector is 1200 lumens with a contrast ratio of 1200 so we have good
blacks while maintaining a good picture quality in a room with some low level ambient
light. Our projector has a MSRP of $3000 but can be bought now for under $1000
new. It is a native 720 HD unit and though things will change in the future, it
will be several years until the HDDVD standards shake out. If you are thinking
about a projector, a unit like ours would be a great first step. We have over 500 hours on our unit and have
had no problems. We have a Hitachi
pj-tx100. A non biased review of it can be read at Projector Central http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-PJTX100_UltraVision.htm.
Add to this a nice screen and you will be in hog heaven. PJCentral has a link to a seller for under $1000 new.

The newer model is now selling with a msrp of $3999, and a revew of it is at :http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-UltraVision_HDPJ52.htm

It has a contrast ratio of 7000/1. Look around some great older units still can be bought new and are a great value when placed against their replacements. You can get a manual roll up screen for about the $500 mark (depending on size) Tab tensioned screens are better but will run about twice the price. We have a fixed screen made by Da-Lite and it cost $1100.

You CAN afford a PJ for large movies AND a nice sized rear PJ tv if you shop around!

One part of the equasion, too, that must be considered is the screen. Don't buy a 5000 dollar projector on a 50 dollar screen. Often times projectorcentral and avsforums is a great place to start.

I am extreemly happy with mine. regular tv sucks.. digital is acceptable.. HDTV and DVD's ... OMG drop dead incredible.

I will issue on warning though.... you will find yourself watching stuff late into the night just because it is on HDTV. Trust me. hahahahahahaha

Indy, is correct on all points.

my strewart firehawk fixed 110 inch 16x9 screen was $1700

if you tune the hd channels to watch non hd matierial it is better than the regular non hd broadcast.

im now looking to upgrade to the new sony 1080p vpl-100. the thing that scares me about that unit is the cost of the 400 watt pure zenon bulb. $1000??[:^)]

jay

• Like 1

Thanks Cal,

Very nice! This is the entry level I was thinking about. I will be sitting perhaps only 20 feet away. However we certainly have the ability to move our seating back some. I never knew about the screen door effect going away the further you sit back. Makes sense though.

While I have not looked at 100s of LDC and DLP projectors I have seen quite a few. That said I think people who constantly harp on the rainbow effect or screen door effect or for that matter LCDs not being black enough are falling into one of two camps. Either they have not looked at new products in the last 18-24 months or they are simply spewing back the rhetoric of days gone by. The performance is way better and the prices are falling like a rock.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now I do agree that room darkness, watching habits (TV, HDTV, DVD, etc.) and planned use play a big role in weather you should get a projector or not. But if we can make the assumption that you have a light controlled room (dark) and want to watch movies; in other words a "Home Theater" - that is what this forum is for, right - then you can't go wrong with a projector and screen over any other sort if display device, in my opinion. The projector/screen combination just gives you that movie house feel.

Every incarnation of the Panasonic I have seen (500, 700) cannot be beat for the money. I am sure the 900 and new 1000 are even better. I have not looked but I bet a 700 can be had for a grand or less. As for the bulb...forget about that worry. You probably spend 200-400 a year on much worse things. Mine gets pretty regular use and is going strong at two years. I'd spend $200 every 6 months for the enjoyment I get.

As stated screens play a critical role. Fixed screens are better choice if you can accommodate it. Buy the best and buy it once. I can't believe there is much chance of selling your used screen easily. Various sizes, materials and aspect ratios make it unlikely that you will be selling yours the same time a person is looking for that exact same set of options.

If you watch alot of movies then a projector you will like. If you have a room that you can control the light somewhat, shades then a projector is for you.

If you don't then a projector will not be the best for you.

I have a Panasonic 900u lcd projector because I can't watch dlp. The picture is very good, my uncle has a $25k projector and the picture isn't much better. The other great feature you have to think of is the throw of the projector. The Panasonic has a 2x zoom lens and lens shift that gives you great flexiblity in mounting locations.The screen is almost as important. If you can get a fixed frame do so, this way it won't get wavy, the problem I am having with my pull down model.

I do not use it for normal tv only HD and DVD's. Football is great on it. I use a 100" diagnal screen.

I was on the fence for a long time, I jumped this year because the performance vs price has came into my ball park. I have jumped in and have been learning ever since. Please look at screens from stores before you order online. I have had three screens that I have been able to see the screen grain in the picture. It takes a real smooth screen for me. My wife doesn't see it but I do.

Good luck

Havent seen the infocus 4805 mentioned yet. I picked one up last year, and couldnt be happier with the PQ for the $. This is a DLP with a 4X color wheel. Rainbox effect is effectively eliminated. Im sure theres better out there in the 1k-2k range, but for the sub 1k price, its worth a look.

I have had my projector for 3 years now. I went with LCD because back when I was looking the cheaper DLP did have the rainbow effect. I opted for the Sanyo PLVZ2 (i think they are up to the Z4 or possibly the Z5 now). I sit back about 24 ft from a vutec 110" diagonal screen and don't see any rainbow effect. I only watch DVD's and am completely satisfied with the picture. What everyone else says is true, a projector is not for standard broadcast tv, nor for all day viewing. We put about 1 to 2 hours a night and I am still on my original bulb. We watch a lot of dvd released series. the theater setup has the highest waf of all the things I have done. Just a great way to relax after a long day after dinner.

Tonight's showing... Battlestar Galactica, season two episode one

Hi Guys and thanks for the replys. You guys are a plethera of information.

I can now see that I can get a projector in the price range I'm willing to spend.

A few more questions.

1. Can I watch sports with a projector on regular TV.

2. Will a video scaler help with regular TV on a projector.

3. Can I watch Spongebob Square pants? (Ugggggggggg)

4. What price range for the screen should I be thinking about?

Again thanks in advance!

Phil