LaScalas for sale

Tarheel

A bit OT, maybe not. Insired by the pic I see above, I've actually been wondering about replacing the stock horns & mid driver of the La Scala with the Altec or a JBL in its place (removing the tweeter from where it is of course), and seeing if I can find some used JBL 2404H tweeters and mount them on top ... what do you think? Am I straying too far from the Klipsch camp if so? Otherwise I'd keep the mid horn and just replace the tweeter with something 'better'. Any opinion? The latter would be better to have sitting under a bigscreen, as I wouldn't have a tweeter sitting up above the speaker. [;)]

Thanx again.

Not straying at all. If this is for a center channel, you will probably want to keep the same drivers, so the tonal balance remains the same across the front. I have personally toyed with the idea of replacing the mid horns with some Smith Horns. Not sure how they would work as they have a very wide dispersion, and may cause trouble with reflections off the side walls.

Bruce

Sorry if I missed the post saying so, but are the La Scala clones still for sale?

The LaScala clones have been parted out. However I can build you a single cabinet for a center if you're interested.
Bluesboy, could you make it "Pro" style? Meaning, separate bass bid from mid/hi bin ; further, I dont' think I'd need the mid/hi bin come to think of it. I'm thinking of doing a video projector and screen in place of my old tube bigscreen. Would use the La Scala bass bin in the center, a sub on either side, and a large video screen on top of the La Scala bass bin. I'd then fly the mid/hi horns behind the screen. ...just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I missed the post saying so, but are the La Scala clones still for sale?

If still for sale, anyone in his area interested in just one, for a center? I'm in need of a single for my center, and would love to go in 1/2s with you; however I need that single shipped up to me in LI. I bought my current La Scalas from down south and they were shipped up to me here in nice big boxes. Boxing seemed pretty easy, just big.

The LaScala clones have been parted out. However I can build you a single cabinet for a center if you're interested.
Hello bluesboy,

I sent you a PM (or e-mail?) through the board but haven't heard back from you. I don't know if it made it to you.

I definitely would like to contract purchase of a center La Scala bass horn from you. As it looks like I'll be using a full-size Smith mid and mini-Smith tweeter horns (made by another craftsman like you who resides on the Lansing Heritage website), I wouldn't need the top section of the La Scalas. If the price is right, I may be interested in contracting 3 La Scala bass horn cabinets (so I don't have to "cut-up" my existing La Scalas to change-over the mid and tweeter horns.)

Please PM or e-mail me through the board. Looking forward to hearing from you.

-steve

to bluesboy, silly, silly, me... just as I didn't get a notice from the board when you sent me a PM but I did when you replied on this thread, I should have did the same when I replied last week as you wouldn't get notice of the PM either. (where's the bonk-myself-in-the-head-with-a-hammer smiley? )

...with that said [:$] ... bluesboy, you have a PM.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let everyone know, I've received a lovely LaScala bass horn from mr. Bluesboy delivered to me a few weeks ago. Really really excellent workmanship. Thank you so much Don.

Regarding the thread on my build.... I should have the last 4 amps I purchased soon (I bought 8 vintage tube amps; using one of the ones I already had, making 9 total), so I'll be laying everything out and arranging it soon; pix and all. All can keep your eyes out for "My Klipsh / JBL / Wood Horn Shot Gun Wedding" thread from me in the next week or two. [H]

Thanx again Don!!! You're a true craftsman.

• Like 1