Got La Scalas may get some Cornwalls, what now?

jbsl

I have a pair of 2004 La Scalas that I really have enjoyed!

I finaly heard some Cornwalls and Chorus and I better understand the difference in bass between the LS and CW.

To me the CW or Chorus bass blends better with the midrange horn it goes lower and seems fuller than the LS bass. But I still like the LS bass it seems faster and tighter.

I also like the midrange better on the LS. To me the LS mids sound closer to live performances I've heard.

These are how these speakers sound to me so not trying to start any discussion about the bass difference.

So I guess I want the best of both worlds, the bass of the LS and the Cornwall. Has anyone tried this?

So on Craigslist is a pair of early 80s walnut Cornwalls for $800. I'm going over to see them and take a listen.

So if I buy them I will have a pair of 2004 La Scalas and a pair of Cornwalls.

What now?

I guess what I'm thunkin about trying is using the Cornwall for bass only. Kind of like having two subs.

So how would I do this?

Most folks use a sub woofer if they want better low end extention with their LaScala's.

But in the case of the cornwall, aside from the deeper bass, we are also talking about better mid-bass as well.

Also consider the type of xovers your heard in the cornwalls. Your LaScalas have very steep slope AL-4 xovers in them, steeper than the B-3, B-2, and B-1. You might prefer a gentle slope xovers in your LaScalas such as Al's universal upgrade xovers.

I am also curious about adding the sound of a Cornwall bass bin to a LaScala. But I was thinking along the lines of a 2X2X2 cornwall style vented box that would go directly under the LaScala's. It would probally sound better with gentle slope xovers than extreme slope xovers.

Building a cornwall style vented box would be about 200 bucks in speakers, and 100 bucks in birch plywood (300 bucks total) for the pair.

CornScala or Cornwalls are looking like the two options available to me.

However Reality reminded me I still have bills I need to pay off before I start CornScalas or buy Cornwalls or a tube cd player or etc, etc.

So I am not buying the local pair of Cornwalls. If anyone in Central Texas is looking for Cornwalls go to Craigslist and Austin.

Thanks for all the ideas.

jbsl the real room size is 17 wide by 30 deep... with the opening in the rear...

But the 30 feet deep is not quite right.... because the speakers are in fact behind skrims..

more like 17 x 24 ish?

It still feels pretty big. I think the golden ratio wide wise is 18- 24 feet I read somewhere... For K horns Cornwalls and La Scalas... How far back depends on screen size your after, and your personal preferences too.

(You can go too big on the screen too, and not be able to take it all in...Visually. You can go to 12- 14 feet wide on audio left and Right Speaker placements but not get good spacials too. So much Audio info is off screen cues...right and left.. separated from the front screen/ TV it is always best separated some. So Speaker. --------TV----------Speaker.) Center speaker below the TV

Timbre is an issue Mike and I always try and suggest to do too.. get those up front three speakers to match peretty well.... if not exact, and you will be in heaven.

YES, Indy finally got me to understand the timbre argument thusly.

Imagine a human voice, trumpet, and piano all playing the same note- sound different, right? That's because of harmonics, and the voice of the instrument. Now speakers should not have harmonics, but they still have a voice. The woofer type, cabinet construction, 2 or 3 way, crossover, horn types= all play together to make the voice

When a sound moves across the soundstage L->C->R, it should sound exactly the same all the way across.

And I too, like a wider soundstage than the screen itself. I have a 36" tube with LS about 12 feet apart. R e a l l y w i d e