has anyone owned a cary 300 sei integrated amp?

funkyhambone

Jim,

For what it's worth, I was all setup to buy a Cary. I had done all the research and spoke with some Cary owners, but could not find the model I wanted. So I got the Sophia Electric 300B MKII. I have no regreats, but if and when I decide to move into or try another amp it will be a Cary.

Jay

A fourm member named "JBSL" owns a Cary integrated, lives in the Austin area. I got too hear it for just a few minutes before being draged back to work,, ouch I hate it when that happens. Anway --PINGING James-- I am sure he could help you.

good luck,

Cornman

i was considering pushing some khorns with these. anyone owned this or listened to it?

I had one in my system for a couple of years. Only sold it to try something else. Overall I thought it was a great amp and have thought about getting another one. Great sound, nice look (imho) and excellent resale. I have Cornwalls and your K-Horns might even be better suited, due to slightly higher efficiency and horn loaded bass. Give it a try, you could probably sell it for very close to what you payed if you buy one used.

Good Luck,

Chris

I owned a little Cary SLI 80 integrated. I thought it was shallow in the bass but it may have been the AK-4 crossover in the Khorns. The bigger problem was that it burned tubes, a lot of tubes. I was told that my experience was most irregular but regardless it was real. Burned power tubes, rectifiers and so on, at least 5 tubes of various types plus a main fuse. (Yes the bias was set and routinely checked and it was electrically connected to a balanced power isolation rig so supplied power was constant.) Worse still was that I returned it to Cary with an RGA# for warranty evaluation and work and Cary refused to honor the warranty. I had to get the dealer I bought the unit from to intercede before Cary honored the warranty. Then when the unit returned they had failed to secure the set screws on the knobs. They fell off....literally. I don't own Cary any longer and am somewhat leery about their customer service skills.

A number of years ago my youngest brother got a chance to borrow a friend's Cary SLI-80 and and CD 306/200 HDCD player for a week. Thru our dad's all-original Cornwalls, the SLI-80 sounded very full and lush, with decent real-world bass (without the use of subwoofers). The owner of the Cary has never complained about tube burnout, so I assume that oscarsear's experience with his must have been an isolated incident, as unfortunant as it was. Like anything else, purchase at your own risk.

post-11084-13819311611418_thumb.jpg

I don't know the various models, but I THINK Mike (Mikebse2a3) has a Cary integrated.

I own a Cary CAD 2A3i Integrated Amp (2A3 Push/Pull Amp) and I have been very happy with it.

I also own an AES SE-1 (A Division of CARY AUDIO) which I've modified some and which I can use 300B or 2A3 tubes although I've been so happy with the 2A3 Tube that I've never tried it with the 300B and by design it is closer to an optimized design for the 2A3 Tube than the 300B Tube due to the Plate Voltage used.

I also repaired ( KR300B Tube Brand shorted and took out a few small parts) for a friend and listened to a pair of CARY CAD 300SE AMPs and they sounded very good with my Klipschorns.

I also have owned a CARY SLP98L Pre-Amp and a AES AE3 DJH pre-amp and again in my system I was very happy with the Sound of both units.

SO for whatever its worth, as far as my experience with Cary the Company and Dennis Had of Cary basically I have dealt with them since I bought the AES SE-1 about 12 years ago and all I can say is they have given me exceptionally good assistance and services anytime I've needed them. Actually I have spoken with Dennis Had several times over the years and I can only say really good things about him.

mike tn[:)]

post-14473-13819311612098_thumb.jpg