3 dB Dynamic Pwr v Klipsch 10dB above without clipping--Who knows?RoyD/Trey/Who/Al/Duke/Dean, all?

garyrc

Yeah I was suprised and over joyed at the same time. The folks led me in the right direction around here. Got to love the Klipsch forum and the wealth of knowledge one can gain here.

If you really want to hear that QSC sing, take it over to someone's who has LaScalas or KHorns. That will blow your mind.

My friend has Chorus. They are very good. But watch what happens when you feed that kind of power to the much larger mid-horns.

By the way, I'll bet you've already noticed that your QSC never gets hot, never breaks a sweat, and you have so much headroom in that thing that you sometimes are afraid you'll accidently bump the volume knob and kill your speakers.

Like I said I am very happy right where I am at. Haven't ever really been able to say that I've always been looking in the past for something and not really knowing what. With this combination I have now things are great!

Could it get better? I'm sure but thing is I'm content with the sound I have.

As far as Chorus II speakers. Been going strong for 16 years and I'm sure they will make another 16 cause I dig what they do and how they do it.

The QSC has had my Chorus II's nearly bringing the walls down and has never had one distortion led flicker. The headroom is unreal almost like no ceiling.

Sorry Gary, hope your thread gets back on track.

Somehow, I thought you might think I was telling you to upgrade. Naw.... I was just saying if you get the chance, play your amp through someone else's LaScalas or KHorns. The idea was for you to hear your "overkill" amp played in some "overkill" speakers.

Kind of like test-driving a Ferrari you know you'll never buy. Just to feel the unnecessary speed for fun - not to make me start hating my GMC Sierra Pickup.

I am sure you remember I have often said that I could have very happily not gotten KHorns because the Cornwalls are so good. With KHorns, I made an impulse buy. Didn't need them. Still don't. Do I want to get rid of them? No.

Thanks, everyone, for all the information!

I still wonder, in light of the below from Duke Spinner, how much we clip without realizing it.

most of what I listen to...is live recorded music

it is not unusual to see a rim shot / good snare hit as + 20 - +30 - +40 dB

Rodney Holmes of the Jim Wieder band ... is usually good for ++30 dB .....minimum

My own Rat Shack flopping needle meter sometimes hits 110 dB; that would translate, according to PWK's comments in Dope from Hope to a level 13 dB above, in terms of unread peaks -- brief peaks of 123 dB.

So, can anyone refer me to an article or book that offers experimental evidence that a good amp (with, presumably, 3 dB of conventionally measured dynamic headroom) can actually pass very brief peaks that are 10 dB over RMS without clipping -- or was Keele alone in this contention?

well,

I'm listening at an average 3-5 volts...

if we want to call that, say ....6 watt's ........ok, then

the Crown K-2 is 500 wpc

it has I.O.C. , a circut that lites a led @ .05% distortion

waaay before the clip lite

Input/ Output Comparator

only my 2 set's JBL's, will cause the amp to ever have to put out that many watt's

no amount of ...Thwack .... on a klipsch speaker

will ever even make the amp notice

don't foget the short duration, also

Somehow, I thought you might think I was telling you to upgrade. Naw.... I was just saying if you get the chance, play your amp through someone else's LaScalas or KHorns. The idea was for you to hear your "overkill" amp played in some "overkill" speakers...

I think you might find plenty of people that prefer Chorus over LaScalas/KHorns...they're no slouch with 102dB sensitivity and at 130dB peak SPL they actually go louder... [:o]

(if ya got a clean 1000W on tap).

So, can anyone refer me to an article or book that offers experimental evidence that a good amp (with, presumably, 3 dB of conventionally measured dynamic headroom) can actually pass very brief peaks that are 10 dB over RMS without clipping -- or was Keele alone in this contention?

I don't know of any research off the top of my head, but allow me to ask a question that Trey was elluding to in the first reply...

"Why would you want to know?"

Instead of finding the absolute edge of acceptability, wouldn't it make more sense to be as far from the edge as possible and stay within the continuously linear operation range of the amplifier? And when are the manufacturer's posted RMS levels ever an accurate portrayal of peak clean output?

I have some recordings with over 60dB of dynamic range over the RMS....which is rather insane because even at a moderate 80dB listening level I'm far exceeding the capabilities of my speakers, let alone amplifier. And it's amazing how different things can sound when these peaks aren't clipped off the top - which can only be experienced when listening on a system with insane output (which usually means less refinement in other areas).

Somehow, I thought you might think I was telling you to upgrade. Naw.... I was just saying if you get the chance, play your amp through someone else's LaScalas or KHorns. The idea was for you to hear your "overkill" amp played in some "overkill" speakers...

I think you might find plenty of people that prefer Chorus over LaScalas/KHorns...they're no slouch with 102dB sensitivity and at 130dB peak SPL they actually go louder... [:o]

(if ya got a clean 1000W on tap).

I believe the problem is 90% of the folks dont know what these Chorus II's are capable of. Whether it be wrong equipment or mismatched or just not a good match for the Chorus II. Truth is Forte II problably one of best speakers ever designed in my opinion and the Chorus II does everything better. But thats just IMHO. And you know what they say about opinions[;)]

And I agree ROCK ON !!!

interesting thread, those QSCs seem nicely priced. Is it pretty basic using one with a receiver as a preamp?

Sure is JB. But here is the thing. I have a Luxman L-580 thats sweet by itself with klipsch but with the QSC it just doesnt sound quite right,its not even through the frequencies. With my Audible Illusions L-1 the sound isnt right either. The music just dies at both extremes. With my HK 930 as a preamp same problem things dont have the snap and detail seems lost. But with my Marantz 2325 things are awesome. So I do believe the preamp does make a huge difference. Its just finding which one works for you.

Sounds like impedance mismatches there, stormin...

It would be an interesting niche market to fill by changing out the input section of the QSC amps to be more home equipment friendly. I can't imagine it costing much more than $50 or so.

Sounds like impedance mismatches there, stormin...

It would be an interesting niche market to fill by changing out the input section of the QSC amps to be more home equipment friendly. I can't imagine it costing much more than $50 or so.

Agreed on mismatches. But it makes me think these QSC's aren't nearly as easy to match up with as one might think. So how many people are actually hearing the real capabilities of these beasts? Marantz and QSC simply rock your world!