Jolida amps for Cornwall IIs

MikeH22020

I have a pair of cornwall IIs that I want to drive with an integrated tube amp. Can any of you have have tried the Jolinda amps share with me you experiences with that and other tube integrated amps? I was looking at the 50 and 60 watt versions and would also like to hear how much powere the cornwalss will need for rock and sacd use.

Thanks!!

Mike H

You are likely to get lots of opinions. I expect you will get a good solid 100DB with that setup. Unless you want concert realistic levels and bass impact you should be fine.

....to me, the cornwalls don't provide concert realistic levels (limited by the bass abilities) with any level of power so if you are trying to get there you have more issues than just your amp.

Thanks for the replies so far and the welcome. I guess as far as "loudness" goes it's in the expectation. I am fortunate enough to have 2 different type systems.

My main set-up is Audio Research Amp and Pre, maggie speakers with a pair of velodyne subs to augment the bass. As far as imaging and transients I am very pleased and have always been a fan of the "minnesota sound" but lets face it when it comes to Zep, the Stones etc even with the subs that system won't go as lood as high voltage rock demands.

That's why I got the Cornwalls and they play plenty loud for me with the Adcom 555 200 wpc amp I am currently using. With my basement scrren door open I can hear them clear as a bell at the back of my 1/2 acre yard. In fact I thought they woud play at over 110db but could be wrong. The down side is a harshness the original adcom has at the high end which is magnified by the klipsch horn tweeter. Of course all of this is "one mans opinion..

I want a smoother sound that tubes bring. Thanks again for current and future insights!

MikeH

I've had a bad run with Jolida amps. Problems include mains transformer hum, poor soldering etc. Unfortunately you get that with most of the Chinese built amps. Sound quality is only average. Compared with a similarly priced solid state alternatives, they start looking like poor value for money. They look good though.

P.S. I love tube amps - but you need to spend decent money to get one built with quality components.

I fear you are right and that going the "cheap" mode will prove not to be good decision. A friend of mine who once worked at a place that carried Jolinda got back to me and told me at one point almost half of what they sold had issues.

My only tube amps I've owned were audio research m-100 monoblocks that had a wonderful sound but I am not going to spend near that much for my secondary systsm and really want an integrated amp if possible.

The Cayin A-50T was recommended if I am looking around $1100 but I may wait and see what shows up on Audiogon etc. ANyone have any experience with this model or company

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=16537&section=music

Thanks,

Mike