TT Dust Cover

jcmusic

I've never heard that one before. I always figured if you have a hinged dust cover, why not put it down while playing, It will minimize the amount of dust your records pick up. I'd be interested to hear a logical reason why to not put it down.

Jeremy

hello

no it is not a myth, many if not all dust covers will pick up vibrations and transfer it thru the table in extreme cases it will cause a god awful noise thru your woofer and may even damage them, i myself had a dustcover on a high end onkyo table about 3 years ago and was playing an album all of the sudden i heard a loud rumbleing thro my cornwalls woffers i pulled the grill to see the woofer extruding quite a bit b-4 i killed the power and came here to ask this very question after removing the cover and isolating the table i never had another problem with the table and this was with 4 cornies and 400 watts in a 11X14 room

Joe

I'm not saying it is or is not true that they can pick up vibrations, but why would it matter if it's up or down. I mean if it's hinged to the plinth then it would pick up vibes either up or down, right? So by that theory a dust cover should be removable to avoid any chance of vibration. I've never run into this problem with cheap tables, and my Thorens does not have a lid, so this is all new to me. Thanx for the heads up!

Jeremy

All Rega turtable manuals state the following:

"Try to keep the dustcover down while playing. This will prevent

dust from falling onto records and cleaning may be unecessary.

There may also be a sonic improvement."

Scott you are saying that this is a myth? It is ok to play with it down?

Jay

Jay,

Audiophiles are willing to try anything and claim improvements. Up, down or totally removed, try it out and see if you can hear any difference. If you can... great, free tweak for you. My Linn Sondek sound exactly the same with or without the cover on.

Yes, the problem with resonance is real.

It is cute to watch all of the folks who are just discovering records debating what all of us old farts already know... Excuse me, let me rephrase that - what all of us knowledgeable experienced gentleman - nevermind, I think I had it right the first time! [:D] Its sort of like drugs, every 10 years or so it seems that everyone is condemned to relearn the lessons of old. [:P]

Yes, many of the dustcovers were not mounted in a manner that isolated them. Most of the turntables featured covers that simply sat on the units (Duals) or that pivoted on side mounted pins and were designed to be removed ( Thorens ) up until the mid 1970's, and neither design featured any kind of pads or damping. Removing the covers during play was a standard recommendation then, and it still applies. Some of the later models featured covers mounted on hinges. But most were not adequately damped, even then. Does that mean that EVERY cover represents a problem...I don't know, but I do know that the acoustic energy eminating from the speakers could easily cause them to vibrate just as walking across a wood floor could potentially result in impulse noise being transmitted to a turntable. Of course, I have it on good authority that taping a nickel or a quarter to the headshell will counteract any problem with skipping that you might encounter. [:P]

So for all of the newbies just discovering analog, welcome to the wonderful world of analog turntables. And to think that some are shocked (oh my!! [:o] )to discover that analog is not necessarily the be all and end all panacea they might have imagined it to be! Go figure...[:P] [:P] [:P]

OK, enough tongue in cheek fun... Seriously, I would suggest removing it while playing, and when you are done, replace the cover to prevent accumulating dust and other cosmic debris.[:)]

Mike (Doc) is right about one thing - it is all about compromise. But he is WRONG about Jack Casady!!![:@][:P]

Have fun kids. [:D]

I thought the main reason a turntable came with a dust cover was to keep dust off the record while playing it. I have a Bang & olufsen beogram 1800 and I always leave the dust cover down while playing a record, I here no noise or feedback at all. I happend to find the owners maual of my turntable and it says, Hold the record by the rim when placing it on the turntable and close the Beograms dust cover. I think if a person has noise or feedback with thier turntable dust cover down it seems like the whole turntable needs too be isolated better.

... if a person has noise or feedback with thier turntable dust cover down it seems like the whole turntable needs too be isolated better.

From an engineering point of view, a large unreinforced/undamped plastic cover only invites resonance problems. And the primary stimulus upon the system will be imposed by environmental energy and not simply by the resonant modes established from suspension and drive issues within the unit itself.

Dust during playing is the LEAST of the potential worries. Think about it...I can see that rational during extended periods of unuse, but really, how dirty is your house? Perhaps if you were in Oklahoma during the 30's with the dust storms... And if enough dust settles in a 20 minute period of use, I can only imagine what you are digging out from after you wake each morning! Pardon me if I decline a cup of coffee. [:)] And to think that I made my money as a kid shovelling snow outdoors (when we actually used shovels! [:P] )

A dust cover is a totally unnecessary feature that ONLY offers protection from dust during long periods when it is not used - and ONLY offers an additional source of resonance when used during play.

Mas wrote: Dust during playing is the LEAST of the potential worries. Think about it...I can see that rational during extended periods of unuse, but really, how dirty is your house? Perhaps if you were in Oklahoma during the 30's with the dust storms... And if enough dust settles in a 20 minute period of use, I can only imagine what you are digging out from after you wake each morning! Pardon me if I decline a cup of coffee. And to think that I made my money as a kid shovelling snow outdoors (when we actually used shovels!

Wolk up this morning got out my home depo shovel in the bedroom closet and went too work shoveling and digging through all the dust and dirt in my home too get too that dang B&O Turntable and Scott 299 amplifier and k-horns in the basement. Yes I got too find out if my turntable sounds better with that dust cover up or down. Good thing I have always kept that dust cover down before, no problem at all finding a clean album. So I put the record on the turntable ( MEATLOAF BAT OUT OF HELL) left the dust cover open and turned the scott 299 up too half way and let here rip. Clouds of dust flew out of the midrange of the k-horn (happends every dang time at start up in this house) and that same old scott and k-horn sound filled the room. But wait a minute, what am I hearing here, sound so clean like never before, the midrange is awsome, the bass which never hardly exsisted on the meatloaf alblum is pounding me in the chest. Man I been using my turntable wrong all these years and that really pisses me off, got me a screwdriver, dang wrong screwdriver need a philips one and a metric at that, took that dang dust cover off and threw it away, dont need that plastic horrible sounding thing that causes resonance on my turntable anymore. Took my meatloaf alblum off my turntable gave it a good shake with my hand only a small puff of dust came off of it, not near as bad as the cloud of dust the k-horns put out at start up, I think I can live with this.

This is great, wife read this thread and now thinks our house is dusty, she spent most of her saturday cleaning house. She even dusted all the stereo equipment off and gave the k-horns there yearly boiled lendseed oil treatment, I am one happy man.

I am sure glad some of you are enjoying this thread, I know we all have different reasons for beliving different things. Maybe one day we will all know for sure.

Jay

This would be quite a boring world to live in if we did not have differing opinions.

Jeremy

Yes, the problem with resonance is real.

It is cute to watch all of the folks who are just discovering records debating what all of us old farts already know... Excuse me, let me rephrase that - what all of us knowledgeable experienced gentleman - nevermind, I think I had it right the first time! [:D] Its sort of like drugs, every 10 years or so it seems that everyone is condemned to relearn the lessons of old. [:P]

Yes, many of the dustcovers were not mounted in a manner that isolated them. Most of the turntables featured covers that simply sat on the units (Duals) or that pivoted on side mounted pins and were designed to be removed ( Thorens ) up until the mid 1970's, and neither design featured any kind of pads or damping. Removing the covers during play was a standard recommendation then, and it still applies. Some of the later models featured covers mounted on hinges. But most were not adequately damped, even then. Does that mean that EVERY cover represents a problem...I don't know, but I do know that the acoustic energy eminating from the speakers could easily cause them to vibrate just as walking across a wood floor could potentially result in impulse noise being transmitted to a turntable. Of course, I have it on good authority that taping a nickel or a quarter to the headshell will counteract any problem with skipping that you might encounter. [:P]

So for all of the newbies just discovering analog, welcome to the wonderful world of analog turntables. And to think that some are shocked (oh my!! [:o] )to discover that analog is not necessarily the be all and end all panacea they might have imagined it to be! Go figure...[:P] [:P] [:P]

OK, enough tongue in cheek fun... Seriously, I would suggest removing it while playing, and when you are done, replace the cover to prevent accumulating dust and other cosmic debris.[:)]

Mike (Doc) is right about one thing - it is all about compromise. But he is WRONG about Jack Casady!!![:@][:P]

Have fun kids. [:D]

If that's true, wouldn't a half dollar work twice as well?[8-)]