New Turntable arrived WhooHoo!

klipschaholik

I've always had a fascination with Empire turntables though some may say they aren't that good but to me they look like a fine piece of machinery. I remember seeing the adds for these in the seventy's audio mags and wishing I could afford one, but that never happened. After running into a good find on about 200 albums I got the bug for another turntable and started lurking the auction sites for a new one. That's when I came upon the old Empire tables that I always wanted so I started watching for a deal. Well I managed to pick up this 698 for a great price. The seller was listed in the US but he had a UK email address which sent up all kind of red flags. After thorough questioning him I was satisfied that the deal was real and paid him through Paypal. Then the waiting began. I was relieved when he sent me the Fedex tracking numbers so I at least new he was shipping me some rather heavy boxes for my money if nothing else. Well after a week they finally arrived. I was acting like a kid at Christmas opening up the boxes to see what was there and here is what I found.

post-14322-13819314162568_thumb.jpg

I am going to mount the cartridge this morning and see how things go from there. Hopefully in a few hours I'll know for sure. I had to search around for a copy of the setup instructions and found someone on the left coast who had scanned the 698 manual. He was kind enough to send it to me so I've got the original instructions to go by. We'll see what happens next.

that "pot" ... has some kinda silicon juice in it ....

i don't know if it evaporates, or the heater that makes it expand get's weak ...

or, is it a solinoid, lubricated by the silicon juice ..

took mine back to the Factory in Garden City NY, back in '76 ..

they fixed ..no charge ..

guess that's not an option these days ...